• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100,000 Mile Endurance Mercury Comet !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100,000 Mile Endurance Mercury Comet !!

Every now and then I am lucky enough to detail a historically significant vehicle.
    The list of vehicles I have detailed include various vehicles for major celebrities and even a MBZ 770 that belonged to Adolf Hitler to name a few.

This past summer I was called to detail the “Endurance Run Comet.” This particular Comet was the lead car of four cars in the Lincoln Mercury Divisions Durability Run at Daytona International Speedway, which began September 21, 1963 and finished on October 30, 1963. It averaged 108.354 mph for 100,000 miles of continuous driving for 40 days and nights.

The Durability Run was under the strict sanction of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, the Automobile Competition Committee of the United States, and the Federation International De L'Automobile.

After 50,000 miles this car held new world, national and American speed records. This car achieved the 50,000 unlimited class record with an average speed of 108.828 mph.

This Comet has 289 Hi Performance engine and is in original un-restored condition. Formerly a part of Harrah's Auto Collection, Collector Cars of Nags Head, and the Mustang Country Collection.
    Mileage is now 101,594.

Before -

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Re: 100,000 Mile Endurance Mercury Comet !!

My job was to prep this vehicle for the auction in Pebble beach.
    This job wasn’t going to be the run of the mill detail job. I had to get it to look nice without damaging or removing any of the “character.” I wanted to leave as much evidence of its history all the while bringing it to its maximum potential.

I found the original Lacquer paint faded and the chrome and other brite work lightly pitted and oxidized.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

My very first step was to do a walk around. It was important for me take my time and do a nice and easy evaluation. I identified items that I wanted to leave and others that were OK to remove. I had to know what would be the best way to clean everything. It was very dirty but I determined that a “wet wash” would be OK and not damage anything. I did take the precaution to mask off an oil change sticker that was in the driver side door jam that was dated may 19, 1964. I also taped off all the door gaps so water would not enter the cabin area.

Comment

After a very gentle wash I measured the paint to determine how aggressive I could get with it. Do you want to talk thin? Hows 1.6 mils!!!!!!

Nice and easy was the name of the game. I used my light polishing product of choice, which happen to be #83, and took in slow with repeated light passes.

Comment

In this picture you can see a section of fender that had been polished once or twice with DACP #83. I went over almost all the vehicle with at least four to five applications.

Compare it to the side that had only been washed.

Comment

She shines again!!!

Here is the completed exterior topped with #20.

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had detailing this. This is in my blood!

Comment

Great work and lucky to be able to work on unique cars. And yeah, I relate, M+O=Scs. In other words, Meguiars and obsession = Show Car Shine!

Comment

Looking good Joe, cool car to get to rejuvenate, looks like you did your usual stellar quality work.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

wow Joe! amazing work
                  Doing fantastic job, like always

It seems like it was a hard car to detail, so much history in the paint and wow, speechless. The job was given to the perfect person, you

Comment

Awesome work once again!
                    /Keith
                    2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Joe, fantastic work as usual. That came out great. Way to go. As usual you the man.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just curious, but is there any idea as to why the side stripe is white on the right, and blue on the left?

BTW: I really appreciate the way you kept all the stickers and such intact. I used to do megabuck refinishing of pianos, and Victrolas for a man that had a "forget the cost, forget the value of the very few left in original condition, and restored to such, I want it SHINY!!. " I want it like I want it!"

It was like fingernails on the blackboard of my soul.

Comment

Just curious, how you handled all the tight spots. There is a lot of trim on that car and paint in small areas within the trim. How did you handle that?

Nice work!
                          -Bob
                          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Cool car with some very cool history! Nice work, and thanks for sharing!
                            Rick McDonough
                            Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
                            Meguiar's Inc.
                            1.800.854.8073 * 3853
                            rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Good to see you posting again Joe.

Miss the awesome write ups.

Great job on the Comet.

Aaron
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');