• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

We get so many questions for help from people trying to fix the paint on their car when the problem they're dealing with is un-fixable in that it's what we call Clear Coat Failure.

Many people confuse Clearcoat Failure with Oxidation and while clearcoat failure can be caused by oxidation and part of clearcoat failure can be oxidized clearcoat paint, clearcoat failure and oxidation are different categories of paint problems.

Oxidation is a problem more associated with older single stage paints while clearcoat failure is a problem specific to clearcoat paints. Because we're going on 3 generations of consumers only owning cars with clearcoat finishes and never owning a car with a single stage paint there tends to be some confusion over exactly what the problem looks like so this thread is to document with photos all kinds of examples of clearcoat failure in the 3 different general stages.

Photos of Clearcoat Failure

This is the beginning of clear coat failure, note how the paint is turning cloudy or hazy but it's not yet flaking off.

These 3 pictures show the last stage of clear coat failure, the clear coat has turned white and began to flake off. The car looks like it has a bad rash. This is not oxidation, but the extreme deterioration of the clear layer of paint over the color coat. There is nothing you can do to fix this problem except to repaint the car.

More pictures of clear coat failure...

Just to note... Clear Coat Failure is not a problem --> on <-- the paint, as in on the surface, but it is a deterioration or breakdown of the paint itself. By this we mean the damage is --> in <-- the paint, as in... throughout the matrix of the layer of paint.

This is why you can't apply a topical paint cleaner to clear coat failure and fix the problem.

Does that make sense?

The only honest repair for clearcoat failure is to repaint the affected area or the entire car.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

What is the exact cause of clearcoat failure? I've seen cars that were extremely neglected that did not get CC failure, and some that were mildly neglected that did.

It looks to me like CC failure happens beucase the paint dries out, I assume the polishing oils in meguiars products would prevent this, given they are sealed in with a wax.

Comment

There are a number of things that can cause clearcoat failure.

1. Thin clear / wet sanded too far
      2. Frequent sun exposure
      3. No protectant (most common reason)
      4. Paint has dried out.

As for the pictures, I can hear Taps being played in the background. All those clearcoats that gave up after abuse.....
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hey,

Let's also had high engine temps! Some trucks from towing heavy loads can develop cracks in the CC due to the temperatures under the hood. You can take care of the paint as much as humanly possible and still develop CC failure.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
          Hey,

Let's also had high engine temps! Some trucks from towing heavy loads can develop cracks in the CC due to the temperatures under the hood. You can take care of the paint as much as humanly possible and still develop CC failure.

Tim
          Thats interesting, you learn something new new everyday!
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hey,

Tim

I'm glad I know that now! I've wondered many times why my truck, which is still fairly young, already has clear coat failure. Thanks!

Mike, What about the cracks in the clear coat? It seems like a much different type of clear coat failure, but it is failure none the less. Do you have any good pictures to add to the thread showing that? Just a suggestion...

Edit: On second thought, I also have the CC cracks on my truck roof. Any idea how that happened?
            Lydia's Mobile Detailing
            Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
            2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Had some fun with my new macro lense.

You can see the tiny cracks in the clear. This is basically a different form of clearcoat failure.

...pollen is sticking to everything, too...
              Chris

Comment

Add me to the group that never knew about high engine temps adding to hood clear coat failure. Very interesting.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

+1 Same goes for turbo cars (ask me how I know LOL). You can see difference in the clear / single stage paint in the area that is over the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post

You can see the tiny cracks in the clear. This is basically a different form of clearcoat failure.
                    Yeah, but that is a bird-poop failure.

Comment

Wow...Looks like I need to add some pictures of my grandmother's Saturn, which has severe clearcoat failure, and post it here...It's so bad the clear is peeling up in flakes, just like when you get a sunburn and your skin peels.

Expect some pictures tomorrow!

Comment

Just to note, the original purpose of this thread was to show people what clear coat failure look like because so many people come to the forum explaining their car has oxidation and want to know if we make a product that will remove it and what they really have is Clear Coat Failure and there is NO PRODUCT that you can pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can that will fix clear coat failure.

The only honest answer as to how to fix clear coat failure is to either re-paint the affected panel or panels or the entire car.

We never like sharing this kind of answer because most people are hoping for to fix the problem by buying a bottle of 'something', they aren't considering having the old Ford Taurus re-painted.

So if you have some good examples of clear coat failure, then please add them to this thread.

This by the way is Oxidation, see how the front portion of the car is dull with a whitish color to the red paint?

See the same thing on this deck lid except where Paul rubbed some M80 Speed Glaze and cut through the oxidation to expose virgin red paint?

In most cases, oxidation can be removed and a new looking finish restored, you can't do this with a car that has clear coat failure.

Before - Yes the paint is actually turning from red to white in some places due to extreme oxidation.

After

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
                          Yeah, but that is a bird-poop failure.
                          I took this with a macro lens, so the size is 6x the original. The hood is also covered with these check like clearcoat cracks. It is a sign that the panel is experiencing clearcoat failure.
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            Just to note, the original purpose of this thread was to show people what clear coat failure look like because so many people come to the forum explaining their car has oxidation and want to know if we make a product that will remove it and what they really have is Clear Coat Failure and there is NO PRODUCT that you can pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can that will fix clear coat failure.

The only honest answer as to how to fix clear coat failure is to either re-paint the affected panel or panels or the entire car.

We never like sharing this kind of answer because most people are hoping for to fix the problem by buying a bottle of 'something', they aren't considering having the old Ford Taurus re-painted.

So if you have some good examples of clear coat failure, then please add them to this thread.

This by the way is Oxidation, see how the front portion of the car is dull with a whitish color to the red paint?

See the same thing on this deck lid except where Paul rubbed some M80 Speed Glaze and cut through the oxidation to expose virgin red paint?

In most cases, oxidation can be removed and a new looking finish restored, you can't do this with a car that has clear coat failure.

Before - Yes the paint is actually turning from red to white in some places due to extreme oxidation.

After

Out of curiosity, can oxidization occur on a clearcoated car? I've only seen examples of it on what looks like single stage paint, so really haven't a clue if it can happen on a clearcoated car...

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                              I took this with a macro lens, so the size is 6x the original. The hood is also covered with these check like clearcoat cracks. It is a sign that the panel is experiencing clearcoat failure.
                              It's your car, so I can't really know, but IMO that paint failure was initiated by bird poop or something similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');