• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs, rough spots on front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs, rough spots on front bumper

Long time no see from me here haha. Hey everyone I have a few questions as its getting time for me to sell my 2000 Mustang GT. I'm moving into a Mach 1 . I have some rough spots on my front bumper that I would like to take care before selling the car. Whats the best way to get rid of bugs/random things from my front bumper? I've tried wax but it didn't help to much. Also someone suggest a nice process for me so I can get my car looking brand new again. Its torch red.
    Heres the steps I think I'm going to take.
    Wash with Gold Class soap
    Clay bar it
    Step 1 paint cleaner
    Step 2 polish
    ColorX

Then clean my rims, exhaust tips and trim. Then move to the interior.

The trickest part for me is cleaning my engine. I have no clue of how to go about this. Its covered in gravel dust and some grease/oil here and there. Please suggest me something on the engine as well. Thanks guys.

Re: Bugs, rough spots on front bumper

If the bugs have been on a long time you will have to repaint your bumber.You should always wash bugs off A.S.A.P They damage your clear.

Comment

my front bumpers been like this since I've got it. I'm not saying bugs are currently on it but theres just some rough feeling spots and the front bumper doesn't clean up as nice as the rest of the car.

Comment

You are kind of doubling up a bit on your steps. Best results would probably be from using:

1. Clay
        2. ScratchX on these rough spots
        3. DC#1
        4. DC#2
        5. 2 coats of your favorite wax.

Depending on what the rough stough is, it may or may not get removed that way. ScratchX is very different from wet-sanding of course. But it should be looking good if nothing else.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For engine cleaning, I suggest you use All Purpose Cleaner Plus if you can get some where you are. Any degreaser from the professional line will most likely work, though. I'm not familiar with the engine on your car, but when I clean my truck's engine, I cover the alternator with plastic wrap. You will probably want to cover any electrical thing that looks exposed with plastic wrap. I gently spray down the engine with water, then I spray APC+ (diluted 4:1...four parts water to one part APC+) on everything. Then I go around with an old dish brush and scrub gently on anything that needs it (i.e. built up grease, oil). Make sure you do not let the APC+ dry on your engine though. After I've scrubbed everything that needs it, I rinse the engine off with water again until all the APC+ is washed off. If I see any remaining grease, I repeat the process until it's as clean as I want. Next I turn my truck on and let it run for a few minutes to blow water out of things. I also use an air compressor to blow water out of crevices. I use old MFs to dry off anything else. Once it's dried all the way, I spray #40 (vinyl and rubber cleaner/conditioner) on the rubber hoses and plastic or vinyl stuff. I let that set for around ten minutes, then come back with an old MF and wipe off the excess. On the painted metal parts under the hood I use Quik Detailer.

Hope that helps
          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');