• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red BMW 325i Convertible..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red BMW 325i Convertible..

I had a customer call me and ask to detail his BMW all with the premise to determine whether he was going to have it re-painted or not!

Upon my arrival, I found the usual oxidation usually present with a red car!

The hood and trunk were moderately oxidized, and the trunk was riddled with acid rain etching! I improved it, but could not beat it! No rotary in my kit as yet! The hood had one spot of bird dropping that was baked in really badly! And the sides were Ok, just a little dull!

So, I asked the customer what he would like me to do, he said, "Just do your best to make it shine, and if you can remove the etching then do so, if not, no worries because I really am leaning towards a re-paint"! I suggested that it will not offend me that I don't do the car, if he really wants to get it re-painted, but he wanted to see it shine again anyway..So off to work I went!

All I did was the paint!

That's it..no trim, wheels, window's etc!

The process:

Wash
    Clay
    #83 w/Maroon Pad On PC @ 5.0
    #80 w/Polishing Pad On PC @ 4.0
    NXT w/Finishing Pad On PC @ 3.0
    Buffed W/Ultimate Bonnet On PC @4.5

And then a final hand buff!

Before:

After:

My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Awesome work!

I'll bet the owner was doing cart wheels in his front yard!

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike!

The owner was happy! It was a definate improvement for sure!

As for the etching on the trunk! I feel like I "failed" on that!

I'm going out to buy a Rotary & some 2000/1500 Grit Sandpaper and an old panel off some junker and practice until I get it right!

I hate leaving feeling like I didn't acheive 100% out of me!

Thanks a bunch though!
      My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Excellent work ! Dont beat yourself up over the etching, I cant tell you how often I leave etching just for the simple fact they are too deep to remove. You will be surprised how often you will not be able to SAFELY remove the defect.

Good luck with the rotary and the wet sanding, if you need any assistance feel free to ask.

Also if you are going to be removing defects like that and wet sanding you will want to look into an electronic paint thickness guage, I recently scored on a BRAND NEW ETGII for $250, they are $600 from a dealer/store.
        If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Thanks for the support Detlman,

It's actually a relief to hear that you have left etching behind as well...

And thanks for the offer of answering my questions if needed! It's time to see if I can put all this reading to good use!

;-)

I recently scored on a BRAND NEW ETGII for $250, they are $600 from a dealer/store.
          Whoa...now that's a super deal! Did it fall off the back of a truck?...lol

Please keep us posted on how well it works for you!

Thanks Again!

Hehehehe

Comment

I found it on ebay, there were a couple more that were in the $200 range but not in box new like the one I got. Its pretty impressive when I pull out the little black case and start measuring the paint

I have only had it a short time but it is very cool and very usefull in situations where you want to remove etching or a scratch. You can measure before and check how much you have removed as you go along so you know wen to stop without guessing. Bummer is it only works on metal panels.
            If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Nice work!! Thanks for starting this thread. I checked out a client's car this past weekend that had some similar problems. It's a red Saturn. Before seeing your post I thought the car was hopeless. I even quoted a cut rate figuring on my failure to restore a good finish. Thanks again for the info... I'll have a better game plan after seeing your process.

Wish me luck.

I guess you talked him out of the repaint??

Comment

Wow...

That sounds very cool! That was a great find on eBay!

I bet you do look like the "Big Guy" using it!

Thanks for the info!

Maybe I will get on a bidding list for one!

Hehehehe

Comment

Hey scrub,

Thanks for the prop's as always!

Yeah...I think the only thing to be re-painted will be the trunk!

Hey...all you can do is try your best, and having seen your work, I know it's going to be a great job!

Good Luck!

Hehehehe

Comment

Thanks!! I'm still learning and have some great folks to look up to.

I'll post before and after... Speaking of which you remembered the befores this time too.

Comment

F1...Absolutely tremendous work....You're are your toughest critic. I can't see anything from the photo's ....Very nice gloss.....
                      One's man failure is another's success!
                      "Automotive Detailing with a Passion!"

Comment

Hey Crobar,

Thanks Friend!

Yeah..you know I'm tough on myself at times...lol

scrub,

Yeah...I remembered the before pictures...lol

It's the sticky reminder note I put on the inside lens of my glasses....lol

Hahahahahahaha

Hehehehe

Comment

your an inspiration to us all !!!
                          "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Comment

scottlee,

Thank You! That's very kind!

All I can say is that I know what I know from reading and sharing with all the fine folks like you, that love to detail!

Glad I could pass some inspiration back!

Hehehehe

Comment

i couldn't tell, but i guess there were some etchings still on the trunk? i couldn't see any......

well, i'm sure you saved him a whole lot of cash on getting a repaint. if anything, just the trunk. nice work as usual!
                              Reid

------------------------------------------------

2004 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1 - Do not view in sunny, cloudless conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');