• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

OK, you can reply to this thread now, I split the days in to their own posts to narrow the problems when I copy and pasted, so.... I think I fixed all the problems. I can tell you there are way more than just the ' that cause issues when copying from word.

About a year ago I compared a few dressings in this post: Tire Dressing Test - 56K warning!, and now here are some others.

I have been waiting to do this test, I wanted a fairly dry stretch so I kept an eye on the forecast. It did turn out to be fairly dry then towards the end of the test there was plenty of rain and a few inches of snow, in the end it worked out rather well and this should give you an idea over different driving conditions.

I first scrubbed the tires with All Purpose Cleaner + and a Versa-Angle Tire Brush then just to make sure the tires were clean I used what was left of my NXT Generation Tire Cleaner and again scrubbed with a Versa-Angle Tire Brush and rinsed. I cleaned them with both the APC+ and tire cleaner to ensure a clean surface. I wiped dry then let them sit for about an hour making sure the water had evaporated.

Here is a tire all cleaned up and ready for a dressing.

Fresh Clean Tire:

I applied the following products as the directions stated on the bottles, I applied two coats to each tire to give even coverage. I then let the products dry for about an hour and took the first set of photos you see in this post, I was having a very hard time getting good photos as the sun kept coming and going, so the first photos are not the best.

Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Gel Left front tire

Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Left rear tire

All Season Dressing Right front tire

Hyper-Dressing Right rear tire

I checked the tires everyday. I am taking photos every other day or depending on weather conditions, I found in the prior test every day wasn't totally necessary as there was very little change during dry conditions.

Again I was having trouble with the photos sorry for the varying quality in the photos (its a little hard to tell exactly what the product looks like.

I did notice I was having trouble getting a nice even look to the tires with all the products other than All Season Dressing, I am guessing that the tire have something to do with this. I have not had this same trouble in the past on previous vehicles with the same products so it leads me to believe the tires have something to do with it.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

DAY 1 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 1 - 4/1/2007

Total Miles Driven: 0
    Weather: Sunny/Dry
    Road Conditions: ---
    Days High Temp: 57 deg F.

I did notice that the look of the dressings have evened out over the first day. All the tires look good with a fresh looking coat of dressing.
    Brandon

Comment

DAY 3 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 3 - 4/3/2007

Total Miles Driven: 34
      Weather: Overcast
      Road Conditions: Wet Morning/Dry Afternoon
      Days High Temp: 52 deg F.

The dressings all still look great, there has been no noticeable decrease in appearance.
      Brandon

Comment

DAY 5 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 5 - 4/5/2007

Total Miles Driven: 50
        Weather: Mostly Sunny
        Road Conditions: Dry
        Days High Temp: A Spring like 39 deg F.

Again the dressing all still look great, there has been no noticeable decrease in appearance just a nice even look.

There are a few little areas here and there where you will see some 'sling' only reason for the sling are all the groves or around some lettering in the tire where the dressing tends to get trapped and build up there during application. This appears to be true with the Endurance High Gloss and Hot Shine Gel but not with All Season Dressing or Hyper Dressing. Other than that there hasn't been any sling from the products used. Occasionally you will read someone is having sling problems IMO its more from the method of application than the product itself.
        Brandon

Comment

DAY 8 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 8 - 4/8/2007

Total Miles Driven: 170
          Weather: Sunny
          Road Conditions: Dry
          Days High Temp: 41 deg F.

The dressings are holding up well, I am surprised by Hyper Dressing being water based I thought it would have been long gone, but other than day 3 the roads have been dry.
          Brandon

Comment

DAY 10 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 10 - 4/10/2007

Total Miles Driven: 206
            Road Conditions: Wet
            Days High Temp: 41 deg F.

Well, Hot Shine Gel and Endurance High Gloss seem to be holding up the best and are tied for first although they are not glossy they still have a very nice finish and look freshly dressed. All Season Dressing is second and Hyper Dressing is a very close third.

I was surprised by the All Season Dressing, it seems to be loosing a little more of the 'look', the tire still looks as if there is a dressing on it but on close inspection you can see variation in the finish and a similar appearance has come over Hyper Dressing.
            Brandon

Comment

DAY 11 & 12 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Day 11 - 4/11/2007

Total Miles Driven: 212
              Weather: Rain/Snow
              Road Conditions: Wet
              Days High Temp: 39 deg F.

No Photos

Day 12 - 4/12/2007

Total Miles Driven: 238
              Road Conditions: Wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon
              Days High Temp: 43 deg F.

Well this is the last day I am going to be taking photos, as you can see the tires and more so with the rear tires are dirty. There might be some product left under the dirt but I wasn't sure how to remove the dust/dirt without removing the product. The All Season Dressing and Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Gel still have a 'dressed' look to them but its more a 'new tire' look. With the Gold Class Endurance High Gloss and Hyper-Dressing there defiantly needs to be a good cleaning and a fresh coat applied. Now keep in mind the roads were very wet and slushy all day on day 11 and I did quite a bit of driving and there were plenty of puddles.

Overall Thoughts:
              Overall I am very happy with them all, they seemed to perform very well. About all I expect out of a dressing it a week, since I try to wash my vehicle at least once a week I have no problem with the performance of the products. I am confident the products would have lasted several more days if the weather had stayed dry, sure they wouldn't look as glossy as day 1 but rather more a 'new tire' look.

Keep in mind this was for fun, it isn't a perfect test. For example: I have noticed these tires (over my old trucks tires) seem to be a little more difficult to apply the dressing and give a nice even appearance but as I mentioned the look evened out.
              Brandon

Comment

Re: DAY 11 & 12 - Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Wow!! That was a lot of work, but I sure enjoyed reading it!!

I really have to try the Hot Shine Gel, really like the look it gives!!

Thanks a bunch, I'm sure this will be useful to many, many people!!!!!

Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Re: Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!

Thanks for taking the time to do the test and for posting the results. It can be a pain trying to get long posts to work out.

I am surprised by the ASD. I have never used it on tires before.

One trick I use to fight sling is when removing the excess product, I put a cotton rag over my tire brush and work it. The bristles seem to help the rag get in to all the groves and letters.

Now you can drive around with four matching tires.
                  Scott

Comment

Thanks for taking the time gb387. I use Hot Shine Aresol and I like it the best out of everything I tried. It definetly seems to coat the tire and last a little while. I wish it would last longer. I liked the initial look of Hyper Dressing though.

Comment

I use hot shine aerosol right now, but I think I'll have to order some of the gel. I really like the look after it rained. IMO Day 8 on Hot Shine and Endurance is the perfect amount of gloss.
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord
                      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Excellent write-up and thank you for taking the time to conduct this test and post the results.

I have some Hyper-Dressing on the way and am curious as to the dilution ratio you used. I'm impressed that it turned out the way that it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader101 View Post
                          Excellent write-up and thank you for taking the time to conduct this test and post the results.

I have some Hyper-Dressing on the way and am curious as to the dilution ratio you used. I'm impressed that it turned out the way that it did.
                          I forgot to add that, so here is what I used: Hyper-Dressing - 3:1 Satin Finish
                          Brandon

Comment

Interesting test! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to try ASD on my tires now....

Comment

gb387,great test. This looked like it was fun to do. I'm sure it was alot of hard work. Thank You for taking the time to do this test. Presently I only used asd for wheel wells. Now I'm going to try some on the tires. Thanks again for a excellant write up and a very good idea for a test.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');