• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint chip repair-Last step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chip repair-Last step?

My 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a paint chip that I was able to fix using the factory touch-up paint.I'm letting the paint dry/cure than I'm going to use wet/dry sand paper with a 1500 grit than move to a 2000 grit paper.My question is what product do I use as the final compound to get rid of the haze in the paint? I'm not use to using wet/dry paper on paint but I must learn sometime.The chip is the size of a pinky nail on the inside of the wheelwell.I did the best I could to match up the factory paint with the touch-up paint.Any help would be great.Thanks Joe

Re: Paint chip repair-Last step?

You could try rubbing the area with ScratchX. Rub hard and fast using two fingers wrapped around a piece of microfiber.

Usually what happens is you're able to remove the sanding marks in the touch-up paint but not the clear coat paint because it tends to be harder and thus removing small particles of it becomes difficult.

Take a before and after picture and share your results on the forum.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Paint chip repair-Last step?

I'm no painter, but would it not make more sense for a DIY'er to just try and sand the touch up area only. I know some have suggested gluing small pieces of the correct grit of sand paper to the end of a pencil. Plus I have seen small sticks that are used for sanding very small sections of paint. It seems that would be safer for the non professional.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');