• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing clear coat failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing clear coat failure

I recently purchased a metallic black 2003 Chevy truck. I bought it off ebay sight unseen. I just had my first chance to give it a quick wax with #66. Much to my dismay I found some clear coat failure. Two 2"X2" circles on the hood and 3 same size spots on the roof.

My process for fixing them would be to wet-sand the areas until I get to the base coat. Rattle can clear onto the areas and then feather in the new clear by wet-sanding. Will this work? My main concern is that even though the clear is only failing in certain spots now, the rest of the hood and roof will soon follow. Is that how CC failure works? Or is it just the visible areas that have been compromised? Any advice on my process or how CC failure works?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jmakado; Apr 9, 2007, 10:11 PM.
    Jason

Re: Fixing clear coat failure

This is an instance where a picture is worth a thousand words. Is there any way you could take a picture of the damaged area? If it is indeed clearcoat failure the best you can do is delay the inevitable. A repaint will most likely be needed in the near future, I just don't think paint in a can will produce a satisfactory appearance, especially since the color is metallic black.

Comment

I could take a picture. But it is indeed CC failure. I wouldn't be painting the base coat. I am just planning on sanding the CC off in those areas and not going into the base coat. A repaint isn't really in the cards. I bought the truck as a work vehicle. I guess my main question is if CC failure can be contained by removing the affected area or if it is just a case of one area failing with the others following soon after regardless of what I do to the current areas that are failing.
      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
        I could take a picture. But it is indeed CC failure. I wouldn't be painting the base coat. I am just planning on sanding the CC off in those areas and not going into the base coat.
        In most cases the basecoat is very thin, it would be very difficult to remove the clear coat and scuff the basecoat and apply new clear coat and get it to look good and last a long time. Not saying it can't be done but don't know of anyone that can do it, would do or has done it.

Originally posted by jmakado View Post

A repaint isn't really in the cards. I bought the truck as a work vehicle. I guess my main question is if CC failure can be contained by removing the affected area or if it is just a case of one area failing with the others following soon after regardless of what I do to the current areas that are failing.
        Once it's taking place this is an indicator of the health or condition of the paint overall, or at least the horizontal surfaces, not much you can do to stop it or even slow it down. You can try to take care of any unaffected areas, might help.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

2003 truck having clear coat failure? man somethings wrong w/ the paint or the previous owner did something horible to it

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
            2003 truck having clear coat failure? man somethings wrong w/ the paint or the previous owner did something horible to it
            +1, I would see with Chevy if they can do anything about it, since it shouldn't fail that fast... it's only 5 years..
            Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
            Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

That should at least be some kind of prorated paint job.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

If I was you I would think about getting it resprayed but it depends what this truck is being used for and how long you plan on keeping it for.

You will have a whole lot more peace of mind knowing that it has been resprayed then having a clear coat which you have no idea how long it will last and if it will get worst.

Comment

"The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done."
                  Arnold Palmer
                  How appropriate to find that one on my golf desk calendar for today. What have you got to lose by trying a repair, albeit a temporary solution with less than optimal results.

Forgive my ignorance, but as long as you get down to a well-adhered surface and rough it up, does it have to be all the way through the clear coat? Just to "feather" in the new finish says the answer has to be no; plus clear coat, we're told, is paint with no pigment.

Comment

Mike is right in that the base coat (especially on a Chevy) is so thin that its almost a lost cause to try. On metallic, forget it. I've fixed some clearcoat damage before using wetsanding, however it is very tricky and time consuming. In my case I got lucky as the base was very thick. In all honesty, if it was a car I was going to keep, I would have had it re-sprayed.

Comment

I guess I'll take a look through the warranty information today and see what it says. I agree that it''s too early for this to be happening. I am however the thrid owner and the first two I'm guessing never even thought of washing the truck, much less waxing it given the current state. I have always avoided American cars like the plague for just this reason. I ownded a Chevrolet Blazer a few years back that all the paint just fell off. It didn't adhere to the primer they where using. It wasn't warrantied for some rediculous reason I don't recall.

Since fixing it is out of the question I guess I'll just live with it and start looking for a new hood as it's cheaper than a respray. I may just have to bite the bullet and have the roof sprayed though.

I knew I should have gone for a Tundra
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');