• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I mess up my headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I mess up my headlights?

Hey guys,

I am really in need of some advice. I have a 2007 ACURA TSX. I noticed today that I had some scratches on my headlights. They were not bad, but if the light caught them right, you could see them. Since I am really anal about my car, I was determined to get these out. So, I initially started with some liquid glass wax. I thought maybe that would help to cover them up. That didn't do anything, so I tried SCRATCH OUT by KIT (yellow bottle). That helped a little bit, but didn't do a whole lot. So, I went to Autozone and picked up some PLASTX. Anyway's, this didn't seem to do much either. Now, my headlights look clear, but I swear when I have my headlights on (HIDS w/ projectors), I swear the light looks kind of like fuzzy on the garage door. Maybe it's just me, but I am really worried that I might of permantely screwed up my headlights. Will any of the products that I used PERMANENTLY mess up the plastic on my headlight housing? Also, on one of the headlights, the PLASTX kind of dried, so I moistened an applicator pad and buffed it off, then used some invisible glass window cleaner to buff it off. Is there anyway to permanently remove it, or would that have done so? Also, is it pretty common for headlights to have scratches (drying the car, etc)? If anyone could be of some assistance, that would be wonderful!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Did I mess up my headlights?

It is possible that in your effort to remove the light scratches you have instilled some micro-marring. What type of applicator did you use to apply these products? In my experiences with Plastx, using a foam applicator pad and light pressure yield great results. A second application of Plastx applied with a foam pad and allowing the polish to break-down completely should resolve your problem. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the response, Travis. How could I tell if Micro-marring occured? I will definitely have to try another application of it tomorrow, and see how it works. I believe that I used a 100% cotton applicator pad to apply it.

Comment

Micro-marring is essentially thousands of tiny scratches that usually occur when a polish has either not broken down enough, or in your case broken down to the point of drying out. Under direct sunlight you will see these scratches and the headlights will appear slightly hazy. The second application should help remove the micro-marring.

Comment

Travis, providing that another application of it does not help, then what do I do? Also, when you apply the PLASTX, do you apply it to the whole headlight at once, or do like half of the headlight, wipe off the residue, then proceed to do the other half? Perhaps I've been doing it wrong? Honestly, it was probably REALLY stupid of me to do this, but I did...

Comment

I use the little Meguiars foam applicators on my headlights with no marring and use a MF cloth to remove the PlastX. They turn out awesome. Do like they say, do half a headlight then compare.

Good luck.

Aaron
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

It's funny, because I thought that my headlights looked kind of hazy last night, but today in the sunlight they appear crystal clear. I guess my question is, if I were to have micro-marred the headlights, wouldn't they look kind of hazy when you looked at them?

Comment

Originally posted by JLTSX07 View Post
                Hey guys,

I am really in need of some advice. I have a 2007 ACURA TSX. I noticed today that I had some scratches on my headlights. They were not bad, but if the light caught them right, you could see them. Since I am really anal about my car, I was determined to get these out. So, I initially started with some liquid glass wax. I thought maybe that would help to cover them up. That didn't do anything, so I tried SCRATCH OUT by KIT (yellow bottle). That helped a little bit, but didn't do a whole lot. So, I went to Autozone and picked up some PLASTX. Anyway's, this didn't seem to do much either. Now, my headlights look clear, but I swear when I have my headlights on (HIDS w/ projectors), I swear the light looks kind of like fuzzy on the garage door. Maybe it's just me, but I am really worried that I might of permantely screwed up my headlights. Will any of the products that I used PERMANENTLY mess up the plastic on my headlight housing? Also, on one of the headlights, the PLASTX kind of dried, so I moistened an applicator pad and buffed it off, then used some invisible glass window cleaner to buff it off. Is there anyway to permanently remove it, or would that have done so? Also, is it pretty common for headlights to have scratches (drying the car, etc)? If anyone could be of some assistance, that would be wonderful!

Thanks,
                Jeff
                why is it pretty common for headlights to have scratches through washing.

two bucket method. nice soft mitt. and you're good.

is it possible you didn't work the product good enough or worked it to much?

try a good cleaning with the Pro Line and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');