• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In praise of... CLEANER WAX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In praise of... CLEANER WAX!

Great write up! Thank you.
    I know about how crushing a house issue can be. We lost the top to floors of our house to a fire. Faith and friends got us through it.
    Question, Have you used the cleaner wax with a DA?
    What setting/pad and how long do you work it in?
    I bought one of those big bottles at odd lots.
    Got Faith?

Comment

If we wanted to do a quick waxing and used the regular consumer grade A12 cleaner wax and then topped with #21 or NXT, would the carnuaba in the A12 affect the bonding of the #21 or NXT (I'm thinking this becuase A12 is carnuaba based, and the NXT & 21 are all polymer based.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeMCS View Post
        Great write up! Thank you.
        I know about how crushing a house issue can be. We lost the top to floors of our house to a fire. Faith and friends got us through it.
        Question, Have you used the cleaner wax with a DA?
        What setting/pad and how long do you work it in?
        I bought one of those big bottles at odd lots.

Yes, I've used ColorX with the G-100. I use a finishing pad and set the speed to 1.5 and move the machine slowly, but I don't go over and over the same spot. The idea is complete coverage and letting the product work rather than the pad. We aren't grinding the surface, we're waxing... but moving a little bit of paint at the same time.

One thing I wrote was "frequent waxing"; I also meant that frequent washing, once a week or more, is a major source of the swirls that we are going to prevent through frequent use of cleaner waxes.

Tom
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Tom,
          Thanks
          My worry is adding swirls by using the cleaner wax wrong with the DA.
          Got Faith?

Comment

Just use clean materials and proper technique and you'll have no worries.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
              I think quite often the average user has a bottle on hand and thats what they use, its easy to find in just about any store and the main wax of many. Isn't Meguiars Cleaner/Wax one of the #1 selling waxes?

Doesn't everyone have a bottle of Meguiars Cleaner/Wax?

I've never used it yet...I have Color X...how does it compare ??
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD View Post
                I've never used it yet...I have Color X...how does it compare ??

I can not compare never used COLORx...
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

A-12 is not as strong as ColorX cleaner-wise, but neither could be called strong compared to a dedicated product like #82. What we're doing with these products is maintaining a swirl-free appearance, not creating one.

ColorX is a bit richer, deeper, and wetter in appearance; A-12 is shinier and more reflective. But they are both within the general Meguiar's look; well balanced in gloss, depth, wetness, and reflection.

I really don't have a preference. I switch among A-12, ColorX, and #6. Or for the garaged car, NXT, Gold Class, and #21; those products have very slight cleaners.

EDIT: Here's something Mike wrote when I asked a similar question, I knew it was around here somewhere...

Hi Tom,

The New & Improved A-12 Cleaner/Wax adds more richness to a dark colored finish, it lasts longer and it beads water better. It may apply and remove easier.

One other note: A-12 is a cleaner/wax for lightly neglected surfaces, it's not in the same category as a product like ColorX. So if you have an extremely neglected surface, ColorX is the product you want to use. If the car's finish you're working on has only light oxidation, road staining, swirls and scratches, the A-12 is a better choice. Less cleaning ability, more polishing and protection characteristics.

Mike

Tom

Comment

Awesome...thanks for the info...I'll have to pick up some A-12 when I get a chance..
                    Bill Poirier
                    West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

"...One other note: A-12 is a cleaner/wax for lightly neglected surfaces, it's not in the same category as a product like ColorX. So if you have an extremely neglected surface, ColorX is the product you want to use. If the car's finish you're working on has only light oxidation, road staining, swirls and scratches, the A-12 is a better choice. Less cleaning ability, more polishing and protection characteristics..."

So A-12 actually offers more protection than ColorX? Here I thought that ColorX was the one that offered more protection. I guess that it will be back to the burgandy bottle for me. By the way, I think that I have tham all -- ColorX, NXT, #16, #6, #26, #20......... But thank goodness no #21.

Tom

Comment

Great post!
                        Very good information and link.
                        I hope all the information is still valid.

Thanks to all!

Comment

Wax your car once every 3 months with a cleaner wax. If you have a black or another dark colored car , follow with NXT2 for the looks. Once a month follow a wash with UQW. Your car will look better then most cars out there.

Comment

I can't believe this thread came up again. I was thinking about resurrecting it myself. It is still very, very true. I just finished waxing my 2007 Ram with ColorX applied with a pc set at 4 and W-8006 polishing pad. I worked it with "passion". All the minor micro marring from winter washes is gone and the truck is lookin' good with a good coat of wax already in place. Done for the next month or two.

I usually use NXT as an all-in-one "cleaner/wax", but this time I needed a bit more "umph". Therefore the ColorX. NXT as an "all-in-one"? Sure thing if your paint is in good shape and you work NXT like a polish with a pc (or by hand even).

A good thread. "Wax and drive" rather than "Wax and wax and wax..."

Tom

p.s. Larry A., I'm 66 too. I've been messin' with waxing cars for 50 years. We "old guys" just know stuff, right?

Comment

This is a great thread

Comment

I agree that Cleaner Wax is a great and under-rated product. I have the paste version, and I used it just the other day to polish / protect my rims.

And the smell! It smells good enough to eat! Probably my favourite smelling Meguiars product!
                                Originally posted by Blueline
                                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');