• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That new car smell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That new car smell!

Breathe easy—new car smell is apparently non-toxic, although it might exacerbate allergies, new research suggests.

ADVERTISEMENT

The molecules responsible for the characteristic leathery, plastic aroma that suffuses new cars are known as volatile organic compounds. These are regularly emitted from plastics, synthetic fabrics, upholstery, carpets, adhesives, paints, cleaning materials and other sources. Only a fraction of these volatile organic compounds are obvious—the rest are odorless.

Toxicologist Jeroen Buters at the Technical University of Munich in Germany and his colleagues investigated the health effects of volatile organic compounds that cars emit. They focused on conditions mimicking those where the molecules would likely get emitted most in cars—when parked in hot sunshine.

Buters and his colleagues first collected molecules from the air inside a new car and a three-year-old vehicle of the same brand placed under 14,000 watts of light, where temperatures reached up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. They next exposed these compounds to human, mouse and hamster cells grown in lab dishes. These are commonly used to test toxicity.

New car smell does not appear to be toxic, the scientists found. Air from the new car did cause a slight aggravation of the immune response that could affect people with allergies, but the same was not seen with the older vehicle.

The scientists detailed their findings in the April 1 issue of the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

Buters also researches "sick building syndrome," in which people apparently get sick after working in new buildings, where the air can be loaded with volatile organic compounds.

Curiously, "if you had the concentration of volatile organic compounds in the air of new buildings that you had in new motor vehicles, you would immediately get sent home out of fear of sick building syndrome," Buters told LiveScience.

This discrepancy might be explained in part by the different mindsets people have when it comes to entering new cars versus new buildings, he said.

"There's a big discussion over whether sick building syndrome is real or not. We do know that in sick building syndrome, mindset is important," Buters said. "People are generally happier entering new cars than new workplaces. But another factor that might come into play is ventilation. If the smell is getting to you in the car, you can roll down your windows."

Buters also noted that car manufacturers have done a good job on reducing new car smell. "They are concerned about reducing these emissions," he said.
    Last edited by Newport Viper; Apr 8, 2007, 05:32 PM. Reason: add
    SRT-10 Silver

Re: That new car smell!

Interestion read. thanks for the info. Is this from an article where I can read more?
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

The article was from MSNBC, title of the article was: "Study finds no harm from 'new car smell'" under the Environment section of U.S. News. (would post link but can't, hopefully this is enough to find it).

That's the whole article though...
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Spray some NXT Glass cleaner on the inside windows and you'll get rid of that "new car" smell in a hurry...in fact, I soak old depleted air fresheners in NXT Glass cleaner and then let them hang in my car...Meg's might consider that a new product idea !!!
        Bill Poirier
        West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

i do love that new car smell especially with the leather like in the charger. does anyone have or know wat meguiars odor eleminator smells like and if its really works well?
          - INKO'S

~ What White Tea Taste Like

Comment

Well that was a interesting read. Now that he has pinpointed the smell. Voc's from the materials used in making the vehicle. We all heard this before. Now scientist should figure out a way to bottle it for a new scent. So are vehicles could always smell this way.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');