• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you get rid of orange peel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you get rid of orange peel?

I'm sticking this picture in as an example. Nice job polishing, but the paint has an orange peel look to it.

The reason I am asking is that I'm planning on polishing my accord as soon as it warms up a bit. I know the paint has the orange peel look and I'd like rather have it look like this:

Is it all in the paint or is it possible to remove or reduce the orange peel look with proper use of the G100?

Or is wet sanding the answer to solving orange peel? That's not something I would tackle so I'll do the best I can with the G100.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Disclaimer
    Hopefully the original authors of the posts containing the pictures don't mind me using them for examples. If so, please let me know and I'll have it removed.

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers
    It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Re: How can you get rid of orange peel?

With factory paint there isn't much that you can do atleast with the G100... Clean, polish and wax get it looking good sit back and enjoy!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Gen7 accord?

TL rims?

EDIT: NVM
      Reading > Sneek

I has been done before. I wouldn't do it. I think its a pretty tricky thing to get perfect and it is very time consuming. I guess only do it if you are willing to get a new paint job anyways. There is decent chance that you could do it, because a lot of gen7s have super soft paint, but you would probably have to try out a very small test spot in a very inconspicuous area. Maybe you can try it on the gas cap, that way it shouldn't be too expensive to respray. If only you live closer to me, because then I'd be up for doing this with you.

PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

The way orange peel is removed normally is to wet-sand the surface till it's flat and then remove your sanding marks using a rotary buffer with a wool or foam cutting pad with a cutting compound. After the initial cut is made then the paint is put through at least one or more machine polishing steps to remove swirls and work the paint up to a high gloss finish.

This is usually done on fresh paint applied at a body shop. The problem with doing this to a factory finish is generally speaking,

Factory paint is thin - Remember the sanding process removes paint as does the machine compounding step
        Most clear coat paints are harder versus soft like fresh paint, this makes buffing out your sanding marks difficult
        The job of wet-sanding and the buffing out the sanding marks is difficult even if you have a lot of experience doing this and even if you're good at and even if you like doing this kind of hard work.

If you don't want to do it yourself then finding someone that has all the qualities listed above at a price you want to pay can be very difficult to do also.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');