• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kerosene for car wash!?!?!!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kerosene for car wash!?!?!!???

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
    .The thing with the kerosene wash was to put 1 cup of kerosene in a bucket of water , and wash your car with it.it would also remove wax.
    To me it sound a good idea. Here what i am thinking. To wash the car with Kerosene once or max twice a year, and follow up with a nice 2 coats of NXT Tech wax

But this is me.... I do not encourage others .... i am not responsible if you damage your car paint.....

Comment

I have heard of this before, not sure where I do know I would never do it but what ever floats your boat! IMO stick to a dedicated car wash soap.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

haha, this is amazing! Washing a car with Kerosene.. Ive never heard of it..

Ive heard of people using it on old cars that were rusted. They were going to restore the car but couldnt get to it till later.. They didnt want it to rust any more so they sprayed it down with kerosene.
        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

If kerosese worked well, wouldn't Meguiars be selling it?
          1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
          1994 BMW 325CI
          2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
          SR Detailing

Comment

wow.. i didnt expect this method will be the never ending stories.. altough it is sounds great,i wont try on new cars.. hiyy.. i,dont like the smell anyway. but no doubt it can removes tar easily =)

Comment

Kerosene was used many years ago. Now just use the products made for car care.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
                Kerosene was used many years ago. Now just use the products made for car care.
                Common sense with 15 words.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Oh, it's definitely old school.

My grandfather used to wash all of his cars with a bucket of water and coal oil. It certainly helped to knock off paint oxidation. When he waxed a car, out came the Johnson's brand floor wax. His cars were always known to be absolutely flawless.

Years ago, I experimented on my old Dodge Ramcharger that was badly oxidised and heavily coated with tar from duty as a road construction vehicle by washing it with water and a splash of kerosene. I will say that it knocked off grime and oxidation exceptionally well.

I'll hang on to the kerosene trick for cars that look like they've been mudding in a tar pit, but for normal washing, I think I'll stick to using Hi-Tech Wash 00.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                    haha, this is amazing! Washing a car with Kerosene.. Ive never heard of it..

Ive heard of people using it on old cars that were rusted. They were going to restore the car but couldnt get to it till later.. They didnt want it to rust any more so they sprayed it down with kerosene.
                    I don't know how Kerosene would hold up to prevent rust...Iron oxide is pretty difficult to resist.

I HAVE used WD40 on bare metal & bare metal welds to help protect the metal from rusting, however. My dad said that they use it on the floor of his plant, where they build rocket fuel tanks for the Atlas/Centaur rockets.

They spray it onto rags and wipe down the tank metals so that they won't rust up overnight (the manufacturing plant is maybe 1/2 mi. from resident saltwater bays and the ocean, as the crow flies), and then wipe it down in the morning when they get ready to do more welding/finishing work on the tanks. It was designed for the aerospace industry many years ago to do water displacement - hence the WD in WD-40.

But would I use it to get water off of my paint or anything like that? No. And I'm not sure I'd want to use Kerosene to get the paint clean...I'm the kind of guy who would be lucky enough to have the paint slough off the car if he tried to use kerosene. But, if you want to try it, more power to you...

Comment

Kerosene has great lubricating properties. In fact, some even use it as a replacement for tapping oil (as in drilling and tapping). I always have a jug of it around for all kinds of things. Kerosene can be mixed with oil to create an oily lubricant of sorts.

But I would never ever use it to wash or wipe down my vehicles! The past is the past. Remember, grandparents used to play with mercury beads from broken thermometers as back then, they had no idea how bad it was for them and the environment.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I have used kerosene on my Suburban since it was brand new. However, I only use it twice a year, spring and fall. That is when I detail the truck. I would first pressure wash the entire truck off. Then using a small sink sponge while the truck is still wet, begin wiping down each panel then coming back to it after it has had a chance to loosen up all the little tar spots and road grime and rewiping it two more times. Then pressure wash the truck off again to remove the kerosene and tar and such. Now I have a smooth clean surface with no wax on it, Just the bare paint. Nothing is worse than buffing and waxing and seeing all those little black dots all over the place. Why would you want to buff all that road grime and tar INTO the paint when you can take it off easily with kerosene ? Your buffing wheel will stay clean longer too. I have never had any problems with paint issues at all. Kerosene is oil based, it is not like gasoline. I've had many people ask me to detail cars for them and have had many compliments on how shiny my Suburban looks.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');