• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black BMW 530i Bumper Scratch Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black BMW 530i Bumper Scratch Repair

Here is a portion of a BMW that I am reconditioning (just came off lease and is 1 of 5 on my "to-do" list).

I'll concentrate on the bumper as it is in very poor condition.

What I started with last night

First, a quick clay bar and detailer to remove surface junk, followed by a light wet sand with 3000 grit. Painted plastic is very touchy to work with and the light sanding is all I ever do.

I started with a Metabo rotary and a Meguiar's small backing plate with a #7006 cutting pad. This combo on the tool allows lots of control in painted plastic areas. Used compound, then switched to #83 as the bumper got repaired.

I spent approx. 2 hours on this bumper alone. Lots of time checking surface temp of the plastic to prevent burning.

After compounding, but before glazing

Glazed with a #8006 pad on the Metabo. I kept the rpm to 1,000 and worked slowly (I've burned my share of Bimmer plastic LOL)

I'll get some completed pics later.

Totoland Mach
    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Re: Black BMW 530i Bumper Scratch Repair

I've always been impressed by your work. Fantastic job. I'll check back later for the completed pics.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Looks pretty good already, nice save on that bumper!
      SYDSTER

Comment

Thanks for the compliments folks!

Here's some updated pics of the car in process. I finished the rear bumper and trunk lip using the same method: 7006 pad and compound, followed by an 8006 pad with glazing.

Trunk lip before

Trunk Lip after

Glazed bumper and trunk lip

Pic without flash shows depth of black

Totoland Mach
        Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

I guess most of us here have to wonder why anyone would lease a car like that and let it look so bad while they have it. On the other hand, it keeps you pros gainfully employed.

I realize that it probably looked okay from a distance, but I think that leasee should consider white or silver for the next lease.

Comment

Finished the car last night....gotta get outta the house and head to the hospital for a heart stent insertion

Here's the finished outside pics of the car prior to waxing with #26

Inside reflection shot after Meguiar's #26

See You all after I get out of surgery Friday!

Toto
            Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Toto, best of luck on your operation.

looks awesome by the way. nice improvement.

Comment

First of all good luck with your surgery. Then I would like to say, I'm also always impressed with your work. You did a great save on those bumpers. The car looks very good. I like your reflection shots. The black does look wet. Once again My family and I wish your surgery a success.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Hope the best with your operation, I have had many myself...

You work always amazes me, as 23Jam also stated...its amazing how people can let such a nice car get trashed like that, but you bring it back to better than new, its awesome!!

Great Work!!!
                  Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Wish the best of luck on your surgery.
                    SYDSTER

Comment

Thanks so much for the "get well's" folks! Everything went well at the hospital. The surgeon showed me my blockage during the procedure (kinda strange, but interesting) and it's the peripheral arteries that surround the heart. I didn't get stents because they are too small and are partially blocked. He's putting me on some new drugs + strict diet + exercise regimen, so I gotta pass up the Drive-Thru's 100%....

Here's some completed pics of the 330i taken outside. The car shows really well and I've got a "problem child" 545i started.

See you folks later.

Toto
                      Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Glad you are back Toto!
                        MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Where is your shop where you detail? Where are you located?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');