• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Del Mar Car Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del Mar Car Show

Hi Guys and Gals,

This past weekend I attended the largest and best car show ever. It was put on by one of the largest promoters in the business (don’t think I am allowed to post the name here) and held at the fantastic old Del Mar Fairgrounds just a few miles north of San Diego, California.

There were literally thousands of pre 1972 cars at this event ... Hot Rods, Low Riders, Race Cars, lots of Woodies (We have LOTS of Woodies here in Southern California) Show Cars of every description most all worthy of a spot in a Barrett - Jackson auction.

Spent most of the day ... six and a half hours and walked over three miles as shown on my pedometer ... taking tons of pictures.

Visited the Meguiar’s booth .... GIANT!! They used the Meguiar’s Semi as the back drop plus had more space on each end. The location was right in the middle of the show and you could see the 15' tall bottles of NXT and Gold Class no matter where you went.

Some one on the staff has a great Company Car. Beautiful Black Mercedes with a licence plate that reads “MEGUIAR”. It must belong to Mike Pennington as it was parked in a very protected area just to the back of the booth.

While I was out for my 3 mile walk I thought about all of you in Southern California that Detail Professionally. Maybe a shot in the dark, but armed with a couple of thousand business cards and good walking shoes you should be able to pick up enough business to keep you going for a couple of months. Something to think about next year.

As I was out taking pictures, ran into and spoke briefly with Mr. Barry Meguiar who, with his camera crew were filming for Car Crazy Central. A Fan ... named “Frenchy” ... flagged him down with a shout ... “Hay, I see you on TV all of the time, I would like to meet you”. They chatted briefly - I got a great shot of the two of them and moved on.

I have yet to understand how to post pictures here on the Forum, so I put together a one page Web Site with about 40 photos for those of you could not visit the show.

Here is a link ... http://www.nailarttreasures.com/delmar307/

If this does not work, just copy and paste the following into your address bar and click your GO Button: www.nailarttreasures.com/delmar307/

As an afterthought ... I never did run into Mike Pennington. Do you think that he actually loaned that Mercedes to another member of the staff??

Enjoy the photos.

Harry - “Bene Vita”
    Last edited by bene vita; Apr 2, 2007, 04:32 PM. Reason: Got cut off
    2004 Toyota Tundra Limited V8 Dark Met. Green

Re: Del Mar Car Show

Hi Harry,

That was Mr. Meguiar's Mercedes Benz S65

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

OH... ME WANT... ME WANT... SLOBBER SLOBBER SLOBBER...

Leo

Comment

Great shots Garry...

This one hurt our eyes...

The rest all look really cool!

As for detailers handing out cars at shows like this, it's a great idea but experience shows that most of these guys won't let anyone touch their car, even if they don't know how to work on it themselves, (remove the swirls), because they tend not to trust anyone they don't know. You need a recommendation from someone they trust. It's a good idea however.

By the way, Harry has been to many of or weeknight classes and at least 1 or 2 of our Saturday classes and the finish on his truck is always swirl-free and show car quality. He can walk the talk and when he's at one of our events and we're looking for a rig with a great finish to show someone what a swirl-free finish looks like we can always point to his truck.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

(Mike Pennington's post)

"Hi Harry,
          That was Mr. Meguiar's Mercedes Benz S65. Mike"

Mike - I know, just having a little fun here. - Harry

------------------------------
          (Mike Phillip's post)

"By the way, Harry has been to many of or weeknight classes and at least 1 or 2 of our Saturday classes and the finish on his truck is always swirl-free and show car quality. He can walk the talk and when he's at one of our events and we're looking for a rig with a great finish to show someone what a swirl-free finish looks like we can always point to his truck."

WOW! - Thanks "Professor Mike" - Without your help I would be still be "waxing" and wondering why my cars and truck looked like all of the others in the neighborhood.

See you both at one of the Thursday Night Open Garage meetings in May.

Have a great day.

Harry
          2004 Toyota Tundra Limited V8 Dark Met. Green

Comment

All those wonderful vehicles. Looking at the pics I thought I was in car heaven.lol That must be a great show.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');