• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dashboard help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard help...

Hello all!

I'll attempt to make this long-winded story, well, short.

I bought my Expedition in the winter. They obviously "detailed" the truck prior to my purchase as the dashboard had a little shine (more than typical). Didn't think too much about it.

After a few months, it's been getting much warmer outside and the after leaving the truck in a hot parking lot or something, the dashboard has way too much shine, and even more problematic, is actually sticking in many places.

So, in a nutshell, if the truck is out of the sun/heat, the dashboard problem is almost bearable. If it's hot outside and/or parked outside, the dashboard is so sticky (sticky is actually an understatement) it's disgusting. And the shine, is almost dangerous because it reflects onto the windshield.

So I figured the detail people at the dealership applied too much dashboard treatment, and forgot to wipe the excess off. The end result, very shiny and "tacky/sticky" dash.

I've tried various tactics to remove such goo, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I've seen this on the website, but don't know if it would be strong enough.

Re: Dashboard help...

Thats what I'd pick... and a few good pieces of terry cloth or a soft toothbursh...

Then dress it with something normal afterwards.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey,

To be honest, I have never seen a product get sticky after being on a dash for a given length of time. Any idea what type of dressing was used on the dash?

Meguiar's #39 is an excellent cleaner! But I am concerned about what the product is that is on your dash at the moment. Can you take a picture? Does the dressing have a scent to it? If so, what does it smell like?

If you take a dry cotton towel and rub a spot, does the finish go matte in terms of sheen?

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
        Hey,

To be honest, I have never seen a product get sticky after being on a dash for a given length of time. Any idea what type of dressing was used on the dash?

Meguiar's #39 is an excellent cleaner! But I am concerned about what the product is that is on your dash at the moment. Can you take a picture? Does the dressing have a scent to it? If so, what does it smell like?

If you take a dry cotton towel and rub a spot, does the finish go matte in terms of sheen?

Tim
        I wish I knew what type of product they might have used, but haven't a clue.

I've taken a picture of it prior but to be honest, it really didn't show the extremity of the shine due to the camera counteracting the brightness.

I really must say the the stickiness is the most odd. I mean when it has been sitting in a hot sun (I live in New Mexico) it's super sticky...as in if you put your hand on it, it takes an actual effort to get your hand off! Then after the dashboard cools down, its not sticky at all and is smooth.

With that said, I purchased it in Las Vegas when I lived near there. Then soon moved to NM. So I take it to the local 'stealership' and tell them something is going on with the dash. They take it in for the day and later tell me the obvious. "Somebody must have put some kind of treatment on it." 'Umm, yeah, I know that...but that someone wasn't me and it came like this' So they advise me to take it to the dealership I bought it from. Yeah, let me drive 900 miles to have the dealer tell me they didn't put anything on it.

I've asked around, from neighbors and friends, to even calling local detailing shops. I've gotten answers from using 1:10 bleach solution with water, using tar and bug remover, using another dash treatment to see if it re-activates the existing junk on there.
        I tried the whole bleach water thing, but made it more diluted than just the 1:10. It didn't do anything.
        Then, very hesitantly I must say, I tried the Bug and Tar remover. Oddly enough, it worked fairly well without damaging the dash. I would say it took off about 60% of the stickiness after being in the sun, but it still has a great deal of shine. The second time around using the Bug and Tar stuff had no additional effect of helping matters.

The dressing doesn't have any type of scent to it.

Comment

Hey,

It almost sounds like someone painted the dash and coated it with a clear coat.

Be real careful what you use on the dash as some are only paint on top of a black plastic. If you use too harsh of chemical, you may wear right through the paint...if it is painted.

I would try the #39 as it would remove every dressing I can think of. If that does not do it, then it is not a dressing IMHO. Give that a try and then let us know...

Tim

Comment

Maybe you want to start in an out of the way spot... Dont start applying in the middle of your dash...
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Maybe you want to start in an out of the way spot... Dont start applying in the middle of your dash...
              Good Point!

If it is some type of coating that can not be fully removed, it would look really bad if the one and only spot where it was removed was in the middle of your dash!

Tim

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');