• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Compartment

What is the best option for cleaning an engine compartment. I do alot of 4 wheeling and the engine compartment gets really dirty. What is the best product to use for cleaning and not harming any of the electronics.

Re: Engine Compartment

Well its important to cover the air filter and the alternator, but most people here use APC (all purpose cleaner). One time when I was in a hurry and couldn't order any in time, I got some "purple power" at lowes that worked really well, I think they have it at Pep Boys. Can't go wrong with simple green either. The key is to keep it off the paint as much as possible though.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

All Purpose Cleaner 10:1
      Microfibre and or sofr bristle brush
      Water

about covering. yo udon't really have to cover anything. if anything you cover the distribution box but you don't really have to. you're not spraying the hose directly at the engine. you're misting it. and using a MF and or sponge to wet it and wash it.

spray APC on your engine compartment and let it sit for a bit.t hen agitate it with the brush. wash it off. see how it turns out. then if its not good enough or the APC wasn't strong enough get some Safe D-Greaser and spray that on and agitate it with the brush. and repeat process.

dress with hyper Dressing 4:1

Comment

Originally posted by Taco5 View Post
        What is the best option for cleaning an engine compartment. I do alot of 4 wheeling and the engine compartment gets really dirty. What is the best product to use for cleaning and not harming any of the electronics.
        Let me quote what Mike already posted on this topic:

Grease and grime are one thing, salt spray might not remove the same way, you won't know until you try. First, have you ever detailed an engine compartment? Newer cars, trucks and suvs have sensors that you have to be careful around as well as electronic components that must be covered and protected. Once you identify these components and protect them then you can try one of our degreasers such as All Purpose Cleaner.

You also need to find out out if there is any polished metal components in the engine compartment as many degreasers can stain and dull these surface when used at the wrong dilution level.

We're not trying to scare you away from "doing it yourself", but degreasing or removing salt spray from the engine compartment isn't something you dive into without researching what you have to work with first.

In my opinion, it depends on what you are detailing. On certain vehicles with COP's, I would avoid shooting water in there at all costs. Yes, vehicles get wet when driving in the rain but that is quite different than a steady stream of water from a hose. Moreover, some Nissan's and others have deep wells around their plugs that can hold water. If water gets in there, you have to remove it (water) or you may get an engine miss. Some Camaro's and Vette's also have issues with water.

In the end, you must gauge the need for the possible damage that "could" occur. Old school engines were very basic, but the newer engines are full of electronics that are pretty scary. Yes, they are "apparently" water resistant to a certain point, as they use waterproof connectors etc...but there is always a chance.

Finally, there is a plethora of materials being used under the hoods of today's cars. I for one use (if someone really talks me into detailing their engine which I avoid like the plague) a special non-corrosive engine degreaser specifically designed for modern engines. Shooting just any cleaner in there can discolor plastics and even worse, stain metal and other bright trim.

So yes, it can be done. I myself cover the alternator (water can work into the bearings), the power distribution box, spark plug holes in deep recessed engines, the COP's on certain vehicles. Also make sure you have it in writing and that they sign it that you are not responsible if there is a problem. I know Joe (Superior Shine) has never had a problem, but I have seen some personally. So, it comes down to you...

Just IMHO!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

that's why you mist the water.

never direct SPRAY!!!

i still don't think you have to cover.

have had this discussion with mechanics. but i bet you each mechanic will tell you something different.

Comment

If you ask me I would rather take the safe route and cover something if its not my car and I am getting paid to. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
              that's why you mist the water.

never direct SPRAY!!!

i still don't think you have to cover.

have had this discussion with mechanics. but i bet you each mechanic will tell you something different.
              Perhaps you do that...but when someone on a MOL asks about degreasing an engine, we must take the conservative approach. I saw your post about you talking with a guy that has worked on cars. And like I have posted before my father and brother are both Certified mechanics and they say not to do it but that is their opinion. You are right some say yes, other say no. I have done this a LONG time and I have seen problems. Some are simply fixed by using air. Others, allowing the car to sit several hours also worked. But can you imagine your customer's face when he/she picks up the car, drives down the road and the engine begins to miss? Have you detailed a lot engines or have come across the engines I mentioned (like the 3.0L Nissan etc)? I personally hate doing it! I am not saying all engines are scary nor am I saying that one should not detail them. But on MOL where we have no control over how one detail's or hoses down their engines, it must be expressed again on the side of caution. And like I said, I use a special non-corrosive cleaning agent specifically designed for modern engines just in case.

Like I said, I tend to stay on the side of caution. If I ruin a COP on my engine, I will have to pay to replace it. But that is my choice as I decided to do wash the engine. On a customer's car that is a different story. I have no desire to buy an ECM on a BMW for example.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by soonercivic View Post
                Well its important to cover the air filter and the alternator, but most people here use APC (all purpose cleaner). One time when I was in a hurry and couldn't order any in time, I got some "purple power" at lowes that worked really well, I think they have it at Pep Boys. Can't go wrong with simple green either. The key is to keep it off the paint as much as possible though.

I have seen Simple Green turn hoses white so that option is out. I'll post a picture later of what I am referring to as far as how dirty my engine compartment actually is. Maybe this will help with any assistance.

Comment

I see, I have never had any problem using simple green on anything in the past. But that purple power works pretty well, I prefer APC though.

Comment

^Where can I find the APC you are referring to?

Comment

FWIW, I've sprayed the motor in every car I've ever owned to rinse the dust off of it, and I have never had a problem. I use my wheel wash mit to clean the underside of the hood, and around the edges. Once dry, I wipe everything down with some dressing. Looks good as new with no fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                        Perhaps you do that...but when someone on a MOL asks about degreasing an engine, we must take the conservative approach. I saw your post about you talking with a guy that has worked on cars. And like I have posted before my father and brother are both Certified mechanics and they say not to do it but that is their opinion. You are right some say yes, other say no. I have done this a LONG time and I have seen problems. Some are simply fixed by using air. Others, allowing the car to sit several hours also worked. But can you imagine your customer's face when he/she picks up the car, drives down the road and the engine begins to miss? Have you detailed a lot engines or have come across the engines I mentioned (like the 3.0L Nissan etc)? I personally hate doing it! I am not saying all engines are scary nor am I saying that one should not detail them. But on MOL where we have no control over how one detail's or hoses down their engines, it must be expressed again on the side of caution. And like I said, I use a special non-corrosive cleaning agent specifically designed for modern engines just in case.

Like I said, I tend to stay on the side of caution. If I ruin a COP on my engine, I will have to pay to replace it. But that is my choice as I decided to do wash the engine. On a customer's car that is a different story. I have no desire to buy an ECM on a BMW for example.

Tim
                        this is very true. My family used to have a Mercury Villager and a mechanic decided he would be nice and clean off the engine a bit for us. The dealership ended up having to rebuild the engine or something like that.
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord
                        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I had an 94 Olds Cutlass Supreme, you had to make sure you were close to home or at home if you were going to give the engine a bath, it would constantly miss, sputter and die, after getting wet... let it dry out a couple hours and it would run like new again, but you have to be cautious. Just my $.02.
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');