• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touch-up paint and wet sanding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch-up paint and wet sanding?

Hi y'all,
    I had a few questions about wet sanding. The two subjects I would possibly be working on if I decide to try it are my Dad's 2001 illusion blue Honda Gold Wing, and my 1996 sinus blue BMW R1100RT (why they would name a paint color "sinus blue" is beyond me).

The Gold Wing had some fairly bad rock chips and the previous owner used touch-up paint on them, leaving paint blobs. If possible, I would like to wet sand the blobs down so they are less noticeable. Of course then I would have to remove the wet sanding marks, and there's the problem; I don't have a RB, just a PC. The Wing has bc/cc as far as I know, but I don't know if the touch-up paint is just bc or if there is cc on top of it.

My RT has some pretty bad rock chips also, and I would like to use touch-up paint in them. I'm guessing I would need to wet sand after. I'm not sure about that. My RT also has bc/cc as far as I know. I found a place to get BMW touch-up paint for it and the touch up paint comes in a pencil set (?) with two bottles. I haven't detailed it yet so I'm not sure whether its bc/cc or not.

My questions are:
    1. Can the PC be used to remove wet sanding marks?
    2. What grit sandpaper would I want to use to wet sand the blobs down?
    3. Is there some better/safer alternative to wet sanding to make the touch-up paint level with the surrounding paint?
    4. Is there a good way to avoid making blobs if I use touch-up paint on my RT?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: both paints are metallic.

Another edit: the touch-up paint is on a pretty curvy place so I don't think an RB would be any good even if I had one.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Re: Touch-up paint and wet sanding?

1. Yes it can, some of the time. It depends on how hard the paint is. I had good luck with my moms car. Used two passes of #83 then one of #80.

2. The finer the better. It will be easier to remove finer sanding marks. On my moms car that I mentioned above, I used 1500 followed by 2500.

3. There are kits on the market with blob eliminators. I have never used one so I am no help there.

4. A really really fine brush and a steady hand. I hate touch up paint, and I am not very good at it. It really doesnt seem like there is a good way to do it.

Hopefully that helped a little bit at least. Maybe someone else can add and give some good pointers.

Edit: Here is a link on how mine turned out... http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16536
    Scott

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');