• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clearcoat failure - question on slowing progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clearcoat failure - question on slowing progress

I have a neglected 1995 acura integra that i think has clearcoat failure. There's like 2 major spots in the rear roof that are a major problem as well as slight failure in front. The rest of the roof looks like it is dulling as well.

What can i do to prevent it from worsening or at least slowing it down. Since this is my commuter car, re-painting is out of the question.

Sorry for the poor pictures, i had to use my cell phone camera since i didnt have my card adapter with me.

I appreciate any help.

edit: some better photos. I guess the flash makes it stand out more.

Last edited by dakata24; Mar 24, 2007, 05:22 PM.

Re: clearcoat failure - question on slowing progress

Originally posted by dakata24 View Post

What can i do to prevent it from worsening or at least slowing it down. Since this is my commuter car, re-painting is out of the question.

Sorry to say, but when it gets to Stage 3 like shown in the first picture, as though your car's paint has a bad rash, there's little or nothing you can do to stop the process.

For what it's worth...

Sometimes the most you can do is the most you can do"

You can do nothing or you can do something but even if you do something it might not do anything.

Does that make sense?

Here's what you can do, wash the car, clay where you can to remove above surface contaminants, then clean with ScratchX to insure all the paint that's left that's still in good/somewhat good condition the wax will have the best chance of bonding to and then apply a coat of NXT Tech Wax.

It's not going to make any of the bad areas look any better, it might help prolong some of the unaffected areas.

But seriously, there's really noting you can do when it gets to this point.

Sorry to have to share the bad news...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Not a lot you can do.

Just try to clean/polish/wax, or cleaner/wax the car, and be gentle over those areas that are in trouble.

Nothing is going ot help them, but if you take care of the rest, you 'may' be able to slow it spreading.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks. well, i guess it wont hurt to at least make an attempt to slow the progress of it.

as i said in my original post, i neglected the car and wouldn't wash my car too often.

will also washing my car more frequently also help?

do i need to be extra careful when working on the areas where the failure is happening if i do clay the roof?

Comment

on further examination, i noticed that when i was running my nail over the clearcoat, that it flakes off. underneath is the black paint.

will using the clay bar make more of it flake off? and do i really want it to flake off? what will having the bare black paint do to the roof?

thanks!

Comment

Re: clear coat failure - question on slowing progress

EEck....

I mean, you dont want it to flake off, but obviously, it isnt protecting much either.

I probably wouldnt clay those areas. As far as using a cleaner/wax or something on them... I dunno. I mean, they obviously arent protecting much, but I imagine a foam pad might loosen up the loose edges as well.

These are the problems when you are past the point of no return....you are kind of stuck either way.

Comment

Hi, I am having the same problem with my car. It seems that the only solution is to protect the other portions so it won't spread, until I can get the car repainted. That is the best analog, a bad rash, there is no cure for a virus. I also thank you for your expert advise.

Comment

You could gently apply some polish/wax to the affected areas, what the heck.... maybe it will help reduce the spreading as well.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');