• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The " Wet " Look for a silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The " Wet " Look for a silver

Once I put my Silver 99 Miata on the road after a Winter sleep,I want to give it a new coat of wax. What product/products would you other Silver owners recommend to get the closest to a ' wet ' look.

Thanks in advance
    I'm getting bugged driving up and down the same old strip

Re: The " Wet " Look for a silver

Working on a silver car is hard.
    I suggest:
    1 wash
    2 clay
    3 polish (dc2)
    4 wax (nxt,#20,#21,gc )

Last summer i did a silver MB and it turned out great

Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

When working on a clear coat finish, it doesn't really matter what the underlying color coat is because all you can affect is the outer layer of clear paint.

That's why any claims about some wax or polish being best for red or black cars is bogus if they both have clear coats, same would go for any claims that such and such wax is best for silver paints. Check out this thread for a detailed explanation as to why... (to date no one has ever challenged the article and backed-up their argument against it)

Which LSP is better for light colors?

If you want a "wet-look" on any clear coated car then here's what you want, you want to get the paint as smooth as possible and as clear as possible.

To get a clear coat smooth you would clay it to remove any above surface contaminants.

To continue getting the paint smooth and to also maximize clarity you would want to next remove any below surface defect or imperfection like swirls, scratches, etchings, spots, oxidation, staining, etc., this will also act to make the clear coat clear.

The above process is usually done using a combination of one or more of these products by hand or machine
      • Paint cleaners
      • Cleaner/Polishes
      • Pure Polishes
      • Cleaner/Waxes

After the surface has been cleaned to the best of your ability, that is as many above and below surface defects have been removed, then the next thing to do is to find a quality car wax or paint sealant that will build on the results achieved by the previous step and add even more gloss, shine and clarity.

We would recommend any of our waxes but especially our premium waxes like NXT Tech Wax, Gold Class Wax, M26 or M21

There is a ton of information on how to polish paint and how which products to use in what we call

The Information Station

We can add a few links to some threads if you can let us know if you want to work by hand or machine.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

With silver, the best one can hope for is to achieve a high gloss.

What condition is your paint in? Are you doing the work by hand or machine? Do you have swirls to be removed?

Generally if there are light swirls I would suggest:
        Claying the paint
        G100 polisher, W-8006 Pad and #80 Speed Glaze
        G100 polisher, W-9006 Pad and #21 x 2

But again, this depends on the paint and its current condition plus the method of application. Here are a couple of pics:

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Even though the title of this thread means the article is about removing swirls, even if you don't have swirls, if you are going to work by hand then the below thread contains an outline for,
          • The products to use
          • The order to use them
          • The techniques or "how-to" for applying them

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I own a 2001 Integra that is Silver. I have been able to get great results with a simple process that doesn't take too long. This is what I do:

1) Wash
            2) Clay
            3) Re-wash to remove any clay residue
            4) Cleaner Wax
            5) NXT Wax X2

My car looks amazing after this process and definately has that "wet" look. NXT wax is one of the best waxes I have found for giving your car that wet look. Hopefully that helps. I also have a PC7424 that I have yet to use on my car, but I plan on doing this in the next week to remove the small scratches that have developed over the past 6 years. If you can get you hand on a PC or G100, give it a try with some M80 and you will be amazed at the difference in clarity that you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by maxintegra View Post

If you can get you hand on a PC or G100, give it a try with some M80 and you will be amazed at the difference in clarity that you will get.
              Machine polishing and waxing will not only give you better results but will take a lot of the work out of the process and reduce the amount of time needed to get best results.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by maxintegra View Post
                I own a 2001 Integra that is Silver. I have been able to get great results with a simple process that doesn't take too long. This is what I do:

1) Wash
                2) Clay
                3) Re-wash to remove any clay residue
                4) Cleaner Wax
                5) NXT Wax X2

My car looks amazing after this process and definately has that "wet" look. NXT wax is one of the best waxes I have found for giving your car that wet look. Hopefully that helps. I also have a PC7424 that I have yet to use on my car, but I plan on doing this in the next week to remove the small scratches that have developed over the past 6 years. If you can get you hand on a PC or G100, give it a try with some M80 and you will be amazed at the difference in clarity that you will get.
                Do you notice that cleaner wax actually has quite a bit of shine and wet look to it? Granted my wife's car is red, but when I use just cleaner wax on her car it looks very wet especially compared to my light tan truck.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');