• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blast from the Past! - Bringing the dead back to life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast from the Past! - Bringing the dead back to life!

Blast from the Past! - Bringing the dead back to life!

We've had the before and after pictures of this Extreme Makeover on the forum for a couple of years now but for some reason none of them were ever assembled into one thread to show the extreme before condition and then to showcase the after condition.

Before

The above Mercedes-Benz has sat out in the SoCal sun for over a year since losing it's covered garage parking space to antique furniture. We don't know what it looked like before it was moved outside but since that time, as you can see by the areas of the finish that have turned white, the finish has greatly deteriorated through oxidation. This is a single stage paint.

Here's the finish after only washing the car with a Meguiar's car wash soap.

It's already looking much better. Remember, Meguiar's car washes are non-detergent, they will safely clean a car without stripping and dulling the finish. They also contain conditioning ingredients to help maintain your car's finish.

After washing, the finish on this Mercedes-Benz is thoroughly clean, perfectly prepared for the next steps in the 5-Step Paint Care Cycle. Best of all, we washed and cleaned this car without using a harsh dish washing detergents like so many people on other discussion forums are always recommending. In fact, as dry and oxidized as this paint is, washing this neglected single stage paint with a strong detergent soap would only act to further dull and dry the paint out. Avoid the dish washing soap when washing your pride and joy because it's working backwards in the paint polishing process assuming your goal is to create a beautiful finish.

After washing this Mercedes-Benz we Meguiarized it!

After

See the rest of this extreme makeover here,

Open Invitation - Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Blast from the Past! - The dead brought back to life!

Can someone find the thread with all of the Before pictures and post the link to this thread? The above link only shows the after pictures but we know somewhere on this forum is a thread with more "Before" pictures.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The before pictures are not in the original Mercedes Extreme Makeover thread, but I did find more before pictures of that Mercedes in this Pink to Red thread.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Can someone find the thread with all of the Before pictures and post the link to this thread? The above link only shows the after pictures but we know somewhere on this forum is a thread with more "Before" pictures.

Thanks!

Here is a thread with some 'process' photos, they are scattered in the post.... Open Invitation - Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover

EDIT, I guess this link is in the post by Mister B
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Nice work. I had a 1968 original Porsche rally car that’s orange and dull like that I spent a day and a half on it and it looks bright and new. I love those jobs that make such dramatic results.

How did the removable hard top turn out? I see it in the first pics on the car then it’s off.

Comment

Brought back to life is an understatement.
            Born to be hated;Dying to be loved.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited...1967 Ford Mustang 5.0...2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B View Post
              The before pictures are not in the original Mercedes Extreme Makeover thread, but I did find more before pictures of that Mercedes in this Pink to Red thread.
              Thanks!

That's the one!
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey, I remeber working on that car. It was definitely a challenge.

I wonder what it looks like today.
                -Bob
                NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Okay, we've updated this thread by inserting the before pictures to have a thread on this forum that tells the complete story of before and after using all the pictures available.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                  Hey, I remeber working on that car. It was definitely a challenge.

I wonder what it looks like today.
                  We're going to try to contact the owner and find out, lets hope his wife was able to move her antique furniture back into the house so that his Mercedes-Benz could return to out-of-the-sun parking.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

nice !
                    i like vintage cars
                    keep this old thing going man!
                    free crossword puzzle maker

Comment

Originally posted by Just View Post
                      How did the removable hard top turn out? I see it in the first pics on the car then it’s off.
                      Maybe the hard top was beyond repair... Oh well, I think it looks better with a soft top.
                      ~Ryan

Comment

Re: Blast from the Past! - Bringing the dead back to life!

This looks awesome! It makes me itch for a new project!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');