• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

I bought my car from Carmax and they put on the sticker as well Now I want it off just do not know how..looking for advice seems that the hairdryer is one way to go.

Comment

A vinyl sticker? Use your fingernails and slowly peel it off. From there, the little adhesive should be pretty easy to remove. WD40 would probably work just fine for the little amount of vinyl sticker adhesive.

Comment

How to Remove the Dealer Decal

1) Heat up the badge with a hair dryer. This makes the double-sided foam loosen up.
        2) Use dental floss to cut it. Tip: Go very slow, back and forth as if the floss is a saw. As you create the ’saw’ motion, pull the floss away from the car so it rubs against the badge and not the car. Feel free to alternate between heating the badge again and then resume flossing. Don’t worry if the floss breaks, just heat the badge and begin where where you left off.
        3) After the logo comes off, clean it up with microfiber chamois and WD-40.

Comment

I used the hair dryer method to remove boat registration decals. It worked great. My truck has dealer & "decorative" decals that I think will come off easily enough. My bigger problem is that the previous owner had a camper cap on it that rubbed through to bare metal. To cover that up someone put on adhesive generic rhino lining (can't complain too much because the stuff has protected the rails). Long hours in hot sun eventually has melted the stuff off. It's left a long wide swath of sticky residue. Hair dryer? Eraser? What would work best to get that off?

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips. How about this one....the big safety sticker on the sun visors inside the car? The dealer claims they are not allowed to remove them and since the visors are a fabric type material what can I do?
            Barry

Comment

Just curious if the new paints/cc's require a different procedure. I think I saw comments about VOC issues making paint softer (even white).
              Last edited by Jossy92; Jan 15, 2011, 08:46 AM. Reason: typos
              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Poki View Post
                Thanks for all the great tips. How about this one....the big safety sticker on the sun visors inside the car? The dealer claims they are not allowed to remove them and since the visors are a fabric type material what can I do?
                Bad news on that front. Those suckers are heat applied!

When they started showing up, MANY folks tried and tried to get them off cleanly...NO JOY! Even when just coming off the car carrier, still left a mess of the fabric and itty bitty left over sticker pieces...

Bill

Comment

Just bought my wife a mini van, and dealer wouldn't take the decal off...so I borrowed a tool from a buddy of mine that he bought from a car detailing shop. It's like a big pencil eraser drill bit (which is specially made for removing these decals). You put it in your drill and it took the stick off in about 10 seconds. I then used some quick detailer to remove the residue. Worked like a charm. I don't recommend using heat to remove the decals...u could really mess up your paint.

Comment

Re: Remove dealer junk

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    with the method above. I have done it many times this way. Always have great results. A neighbor of mine just sprays the decal with wd40 and remves them that way. i can't bring myself to do that.
                    WD40 works for me, harmless to the paint

Comment

If it was just the stick on letters your finger nail and NXT 2.0 will get the goop off. My brand new car came complete with either overspray from the undercoating or tar was very fresh when the brought it from dealer preping. Any way I gave it a nice clay bar treatment to make it clean.

Comment

Originally posted by agrin2005 View Post
                        I bought my car from Carmax and they put on the sticker as well Now I want it off just do not know how..looking for advice seems that the hairdryer is one way to go.
                        I used this to get my carmax sticker off. Link Worked like a charm, I was amazed how easy it was...only took a few seconds. Then used some quick detailer to get the residue off and looked like new.http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ima.../Scottwax2.gif

Comment

Skin so soft is also good for taking off glue and gum.

I would also like to know if anyone has a good way for taking off the stickers on the sun visors. Sounds difficult. Maybe the skin so soft

Comment

Goo Gone is another good product to remove glue residue.

Comment

Depends on the type of glue they used on the stickers. Most are plastics so they shouldn't be a petrolem base because it might eat the sticker itself. Organic bases will come off with the citrus bassed cleaners/solvents, alocohol glues will come off with a rubbing alcohol. Some stickers will just come off with some warmth from a hair drier or being left in the sun for the afternoon. The old stand by of a sharp razor blade will help with lifting anything as long as you're carefull on painted surfaces, on glass it's probably the easiest way.

Comment

I had a decal on my Black 08 Tacoma on the top driver side corner of my tailgate. Used the Hairdryer and 12lb trilene fishing line and removed it no problem. Cleaned the excess adhesive with WD-40 and the tailgate looks like the sticker was never there.
                                "GARRY OWEN" "SUA SPONTE"
                                "Veterans! You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');