• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Hey guys, I always wanted to do that (remove decals). Does it have to be ASAP or can it be done on an old decal? Can it hurt the paint? Could somebody please explain me about the fishing line?

Comment

I was lucky enough this past purchase the dealer did not put his logo on the back. To bad they put a front plate on which is required in Texas but not here in Kansas. So I got me a Huskers plate for the front.

Comment

Luckily here in Oklahoma we don't have to have front license plates and a new law in Oklahoma that you have to have the paper tag on the back where the license plate goes and you can't use a frame with it. They do still have either their plastic logo or sticker on the back somewhere. I had to take one off my Nitro but luckily it was just the sticker kind. Some Goo Gone (which is perfectly safe on auto paint) and you're done.
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT - Light Khaki Metallic
        2009 Dodge Challenger R/T - B5 Blue Pearl (Can only dream)

Comment

About the only time imho a frame comes in handy is when you have the temporary paper tag when you first purchase the vehicle. This way it helps keep it straight until the hard tag arrives. Then once you get the hard tag unscrew the temp tag and the frame is gone. just my 0.02.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
            About the only time imho a frame comes in handy is when you have the temporary paper tag when you first purchase the vehicle. This way it helps keep it straight until the hard tag arrives. Then once you get the hard tag unscrew the temp tag and the frame is gone. just my 0.02.
            why dont you just remove the paper plate and the frame all together? its just the dealer's name on the paper plate.... not like it has any vehicle identification information on there.....

Comment

I purchased a used Intrepid when I was a junior in high school and asked if they'd remove the dealer logo on the trunk... they said they would but never did so I did it myself. My dad also purchased a car there, a new one, and when I removed the logo off of my car I also did it to his.

We both went in and had some recall work done and when they came out of the shop, we both had those stupid logos stuck on our cars again. My dad told me to settle down but I went in and demanded they be removed. After ten minutes I just walked out, haven't been there since.
              2007 Honda Civic Si - the pretty thing
              2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII - the fun thing
              1995 Honda Civic DX - the ugly thing

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
                why dont you just remove the paper plate and the frame all together? its just the dealer's name on the paper plate.... not like it has any vehicle identification information on there.....
                Down here in Florida it has the vin #, date of purchase, and the dealer info. The temp tag is good for 30 days. Then you better have a hard tag and current registration.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Re: Remove dealer junk

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                  with the method above. I have done it many times this way. Always have great results. A neighbor of mine just sprays the decal with wd40 and remves them that way. i can't bring myself to do that.
                  WD-40 works great removing emblem glue and has no effect on the paint

Comment

In response to people asking the dealers to remove their own advertising.

Here's a horror story for you.

My parents bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer, and the free advertising wasn't a decal, it was more like a vinyl or plastic logo. My father asked them to remove the logo, and even though the logo was gone, a huge scratch was indented next to where to logo used to be. Not under the logo, next to the logo. We brought it back to the dealer the next day...

Turns out the guy used a SCREWDRIVER to pry the logo off of the paint resulting in a huge scratch next to it, that a guy had to sand and compound out. I believe there was a repaint of clear coat to the area too because of how deep the scratch was.

So my advice, as the old saying goes: If you want a job to done right, do it yourself.
                    1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

any pictures of what you mean by dealer plates (something we probably dont have in England), its compulsary for all number plates to have where they came from including a postcode to stop fradulant copies used in car cloning. Other than this all we get is Stickers in windows and on the tax disc holder.

My new renault has www.sunwin.co.uk on front and back number plates with small postcode of the dealer it came from, sunwin tax disc holder, and Sunwin sticker in back window. Also ELF sticker (products and lubricants such as oils/transmissions used with renault for 40 years plus motorsport), and ECo2 sticker for low emmisions. All these are relatively small and dont particually bother me.

Comment

i just did mine...it was a green alligator about 4 inches long and 2 inches tall from the sawgrass ford dealer that has been on since i bought it in 04.

i used a spray on bug cleaner, and a detailer for lube and chipped away at the sticker with a credit card.

i then used some wd-40 and a old microfiber rag to clean up all the gunk and then buffed it with some Colorx

LOOKS SPOTLESS

Comment

I purchased a new 2009 Chrysler Town & Country, 2 days later I removed the front plate they had installed on the bumper to advertise their dealership. When I removed the plate I noticed there was no mounting hardware. The dealership drilled holes through the bumper to install their plate. You can see full details at this website I made. Thanks

EDITED
                          Last edited by Markus Kleis; Aug 6, 2009, 02:09 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

Wow, all I got was a vinyl sticker that I accidentally brushed off on its first wash with the wash mitt. They also gave me a slick black frame for the back which I think I'll leave on. We don't have front license plates here so there is no bracket to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMUFF View Post
                              I was lucky enough this past purchase the dealer did not put his logo on the back. To bad they put a front plate on which is required in Texas but not here in Kansas. So I got me a Huskers plate for the front.
                              Not 100% true.

Texas requires a license plate to be "visible from the front" not "on the front bumper"

Had an issue with a former girlfriends car...seems they drilled holes in the front bumper to stick a license plate on there as a "courtesy"....they "courtesly" replaced the front bumper after I had my way with them...
                              2004 Competition Orange SVT Focus with Jackson Racing Supercharger

Comment

Originally posted by princedm View Post
                                I purchased a new 2009 Chrysler Town & Country, 2 days later I removed the front plate they had installed on the bumper to advertise their dealership. When I removed the plate I noticed there was no mounting hardware. The dealership drilled holes through the bumper to install their plate. You can see full details at this website I made. Thanks

EDITED
                                This seems to be the standard on new cars now. Really pissed me off when I got my IS350 in 2006. I went from a 2004 S2000 where Honda was smart enough to have actual mounting hardware behind the bumper. Honda then sells color matched plugs to cover the holes (snaps into the threads of the mounting hardware). Stupid me..ASSumed that was the way it was with all cars...But like I said, not on the Lexus..so I ended up with some butt ugly holes in the front bumper. I wanted to remove the front plate and risk the ticket, but with the way the holes looked..no way.

Car manufactures need to come up with a real way to mount the front plate on today's non-metal bumpers

BTW if I bought a new car and it had some dumb-a sticker or plate on it with the dealers name..the deal would be OFF.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');