• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Recently bought a new car from dealer inventory. As usual it had the dealer name etc. in that hard plastic glue on type. Since they wouldn't knock-off any money for advertising for them, how can I get this off with out damaging the paint?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Remove dealer junk

Thats about the first thing I do to all my cars.

I heat it up with a hair drier and use fishing line. If it leaves any residue behind I use 3M adhesive remover. A plastic razor blade would be handy to have also. Just take your time and it should come right off. You can use a heat gun if you want but be very careful not to damage the paint.
    Scott

Comment

with the method above. I have done it many times this way. Always have great results. A neighbor of mine just sprays the decal with wd40 and remves them that way. i can't bring myself to do that.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

You can use a hair dryer just make sure you don't leave the heat on in one spot for along time. It can damage the paint.

Comment

I recently removed all the badges and other stickers from a new (to me) truck. I went with the normal heat it up and use fishing line deal as I have always done. However a lot of the tape and glue was still left. I fought with it for a couple hours and made almost no progress. Even with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, which is the best I have ever used. I finally caved in and bought an eraser wheel. Best purchase I have made in a long time! I was able to completely remove all the glue and tape in about 15 minutes.
          Jason

Comment

Though I've never tried it on a painted surface, butane (like you fill a lighter with) will remove stickers from hard slick surfaces (like glass and ceramics) really quickly.

Mort

Comment

Re: Remove dealer junk - Dealer Plates - Free Advertizing

Originally posted by Bmettom View Post
              Recently bought a new car from dealer inventory. As usual it had the dealer name etc. in that hard plastic glue on type. Since they wouldn't knock-off any money for advertising for them, how can I get this off with out damaging the paint?

Thanks,

Tom
              Try boiling water in a kettle and removing it immediately after you poured the water on and remove sticky residue with hot water on a cloth or metilated spirits.
              Come close to me, be loved and eaten when done!!!!!

Comment

When I purchase new cars, (once every 12 years), I tell the salesman I will not accept delivery if the dealer nameplate is anywhere on the car, unless they want to pay me $50 per month for advertising. They leave it off.
                Heatgain (Gary)
                The Irate Magistrate
                Neutral & Detached

Comment

^diddo

If I ever order a car, my main orders will be "dont take off the shipping plastics, dont wash it, dont put your sticker on it, and if you put a front liscence plate bracket on, I'm not buying the car"
                  2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

I do not advertise and request the dealer to remove all references to the business.

Comment

Seems like this "advertising" problem is mainly in the eastern half of the US. I'm sure there are some out this way that do, but usually when I even see them, they are cars from back east. We just get license plate frames.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                        Seems like this "advertising" problem is mainly in the eastern half of the US. I'm sure there are some out this way that do, but usually when I even see them, they are cars from back east. We just get license plate frames.

Definitely see it all over here in NY. Front and Back frames....They immediately come off any vehicles I buy...
                        Bill Poirier
                        West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

I do the same, We have to have a front plate too. The dealer puts their name all over it without asking you. It's all over the Midwest.

Kelly
                          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Yeah I hate that too. The thing I hate the most is the sticker or stick on plaque that they put on the paint. License plates fine. I take them off but fine. And another thing. Do you believe that when I bought my Cadillac, they ran it through a crappy Automated car wash!! I couldn't believe it. I forgot to ask then not to "detail it" but then I thought, fine they'll detail it and I'll perform a real detail when I get i home. I still can't believe it. A crappy $5 car wash.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc View Post
                              I do the same, We have to have a front plate too. The dealer puts their name all over it without asking you. It's all over the Midwest.

Kelly
                              Yep, here in the Midwest they put their license plate frames on both the front of the vehicle and back, and a sticker or emblem on the back that is attached with some real strong adhesive. Every dealer around here has been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');