• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Paint Cure Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint Cure Time

I recently had to replace my front hood and bumper due to a minor collsion (not my fault ). I was told to wait 30 days until applying any sort of sealer or wax, but polish was okay. Since I live in So. Cal, where it has been in the high 90's for about 4 days in a row, would my curing time be reduced in any measurable way? I am just anxious to makeover the truck, because some the body shop "detailer" really swirled up my hood.
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

I'd play it safe and just wait.

Comment

I would wait at least 6 weeks in the hot summertime...Just my 2 cents worth.

In the mean time, you can use #80 to clean & protect the uncured paint (Very good stuff, IMO!)
      r. b.

Comment

My 2 cents!
        I'd wait for the wax or polymer sealant, but like the bodyshop said you can use a polish. Something like #80, #81, or # 82 would work great. They would give you a great shine and probably get rid of those swirls. *80 and #82 will work great with the PC if you have one, just use them with a polishing pad.
        Also double check the back of the bottles for the bodyshop safe label so there is no silcones to keep the paint soft and that there are no waxes in it, I'm pretty sure the 3 above don't but I don't have the bottles here infront of me either.
        Hope that helps.

Comment

Just like the bodyshop said do not put any types of wax or anything like it if its lacquer polishes and compounds are ok but know wax new paint is more than capable of protecting itself for atleast a couple months my hood that i just painted is just starting to need some polishing and finally some #26 yellow wax because personally i think using a couple processes out of the professional line are a lot better than that crappy nxt wax funny thing is, is that i love the nxt wash.

Comment

From what i understand, the reason you have to wait is obviously for the paint to cure and get hard, but the paint has to do stuff chemically to get that way.

When i got my truck repaired after a huge hailstorm, i asked my bodyshop guy why i had to wait. He said that when the paint cures over the 30 days, it completes some kind of chemical reaction that needs to vent gasses out the pores of the paint. Therefore, if you put wax or sealant on it too soon, this gas can't escape, and your paint can get very soft, or begin to bubble or blister.

I got my paint baked at the body shop, but he still recomended to be safe, to wait another 15-20 days.

i know this doesn't answer the question about it curing faster in the heat, but if you're like me, it's nice to know why they recommend the things that they do.

Peace out,

Stevo.
            WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

A few months ago I contacted many of the auto paint manufacturers and asked about paint curing time, before waxing. Most of the answers I received were to wait between 30 and 60 days. Some even said to wait up to 90 days before waxing. I would agree with your body shop and wait at least the full 30 days.
              FRANK CANNA
              Mirror Finish Detailing
              23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

If i remember correctly my haynes detailing manual stated that paint never completely dries otherwise it would have no shine but i somehow dont belive that.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepZJlover
                  If i remember correctly my haynes detailing manual stated that paint never completely dries otherwise it would have no shine but i somehow dont belive that.
                  There could be some truth to that...Meguiar's polishes will add oils back to the paint in order to make it shine and have better gloss...And without those oils, paint can dry out and look dull.

(Notice that I emphasized the word "dry")

Just thinking out loud
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                    There could be some truth to that...Meguiar's polishes will add oils back to the paint in order to make it shine and have better gloss...And without those oils, paint can dry out and look dull.

(Notice that I emphasized the word "dry")

Just thinking out loud
                    That may be the case with single stage paint. However, I really don't think there is any truth to that statement regarding today's clear coat finishes. Especially, when you consider some of the harder paint processes now on the horizon.
                    FRANK CANNA
                    Mirror Finish Detailing
                    23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Yesterday I polished my week-old paint with Deep Crystal polish. It took out the very faint swirls from the body shop and it looks fantastic. I cant wait until I can throw some NXT on top of it.
                      1998 BMW 323is

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');