• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dish washing liquid or auto washing soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish washing liquid or auto washing soap

I have always washed my vehicles with whatever my wife had for washing the dishes, as I thought the specialized auto soap was overpriced, and if the dish soap was gentile enough for her skin, it wouldn't hurt the car. I have read here that dish soap will dull the paint. That hasn't been a issue with me over the years. So what is the real story on dish soap verses auto soap? Dish soap really bad or companies wanting to make a buck by selling auto soap?
    2006 Black Buick Lucerne (MY LAST BLACK VEHICLE)
    2000 Silver Buick LeSabre
    1977 White/Black Triumph TR-7

Re: Dish washing liquid or auto washing soap

Dish soap is fine if you want to strip all the wax and oils from the finish. It dries the paint out so the ONLY time I would use it is if I was going to polish and wax afterwards. Best bet is to use a soap designed to not strip the surface.
    01 Tacoma 4x4 X/C V6 Imperial Jade

"Oh, oh Marty, here's you keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight"
    Biff Tannen

Comment

Personally, I won't ever use a dish soap on my car. That's why it's called dish soap and not car soap.

Instead, use a quality (Gold Class, NXT, etc.) auto shampoo. If you're wanting to remove wax, use a paint cleaner after the wash.
      -Mike

Comment

I agree with mshu7... never use dish sop for anything on your vehicle, stick with a quailty car wash soap. Meguiars makes several their Deep Crystal Car Wash is economical and works very well, Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and NXT Generation Car Wash cost a little more but work very well!
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Dish-soap is a detergent wash that in a nutshell is overkill for what you're trying to accomplish. For a car wash it's too strong for a serious enthusiasts. Most of the population views their car as merely transportation and don't get into the "detailing thing".

For people that enjoy detailing their own car and maintaining the appearance to a high level, then using a product that can dull and dry out the paint as well as multiple other materials that make up a modern car, truck and suvs.

Dish soaps are formulated to remove grease and oil from plastic, glass and ceramic glazed dishware, it works great for this. A quality car wash soap is formulated to clean well without detergents but more than that a quality car wash is formulated to make the washing process slippery to help prevent scratching during the washing process.

Meguiar's offers some entry level car wash soaps the clean well for a low price point to transition people away from dish washing detergent soaps as well as premium car wash soaps the clean well but also offer more features and benefits to the process, the car and the user.

If you're happy with dish washing soap, by all means...

"Find something you like and use it often"

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

And in addition to whats been stated above most dishwashing detergents contain salt. Now i dunno about you but i'd rather not use something thats packed with a known corrosion accelerator to wash my car. Go buy some Shampoo Plus, learn about the 2 bucket method and prepare to be totally taken over by the detailing bug!
            It's Zetec, not VTEC...

Comment

Originally posted by angusdope View Post
              And in addition to whats been stated above most dishwashing detergents contain salt. Now i dunno about you but i'd rather not use something thats packed with a known corrosion accelerator to wash my car. Go buy some Shampoo Plus, learn about the 2 bucket method and prepare to be totally taken over by the detailing bug!
              Yep..seems the bug has got me. Learned much in the last day or so.

Comment

this is such a long debate.

i mean i know other companies that i've seen at Car Shows that begin explaining their products by starting off saying to wash your car using Dawn.

i mean to each is own right. if you like it, by all means.

DISH SOAP = for dishes.

its not called Dish and Car soap.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
                  this is such a long debate.

i mean i know other companies that i've seen at Car Shows that begin explaining their products by starting off saying to wash your car using Dawn.

i mean to each is own right. if you like it, by all means.

DISH SOAP = for dishes.

its not called Dish and Car soap.
                  Actually if you go to Dawns web site they recommend not using it on a vehicle.
                  Brandon

Comment

Its interesting that some people/coampnies claim you need to use a somewhat stong soap like dishoap to clean everything, or their product wont work right. Like the paint cleaner wont work because the paint is dirty....

At any rate, all people are different, but dishoap sure can dry out my hands after a while, so after enough washes, its not just removing oil from the paint, but also gaskets, seals, other rubber/plastic bits, even lubrication oil/grease.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Incidently, from wallgreens.com:

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid - $1.99 for 16 oz, or about $0.12 per oz.

From ADS:

Gold Class Soap: $8.49 for 64 oz, or about $0.13 per oz.

Nxt Soap: $6.59 for 64 oz, or about $0.10 per oz.

#66 Shampoo and Conditioner: $20.99 for 128 oz, or about $0.16 per oz.

Granted, you are more likely to have coupons and whatnot for dishsoap, and comparing s&h vs. taxes, but nonetheless, washing with the proper stuff isnt too expensive. Maybe it just seems cheaper from buying smaller amounts at a time.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Years ago I got in this debate with my sister in law. She claimed I was wrong about the dish soap being used on her car. I said use a car wash soap, she said I was wrong. Well about 2 years later, never waxing her car but faithfully washing it with dawn weekly , her car is a poster for clear coat failure. So please take my advice use car soap for your car and dish soap for your dishes. You will be happier in the long run.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                          Actually if you go to Dawns web site they recommend not using it on a vehicle.
                          Sure enough, that is what it says in their Q & A.

Comment

Originally posted by 23jam View Post
                            Years ago I got in this debate with my sister in law. She claimed I was wrong about the dish soap being used on her car. I said use a car wash soap, she said I was wrong.

Well about 2 years later, never waxing her car but faithfully washing it with dawn weekly , her car is a poster for clear coat failure.

So please take my advice use car soap for your car and dish soap for your dishes. You will be happier in the long run.
                            Is there any way you can get a couple of really good digital photos showing this? It sure would add a lot of punch to your story.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                              Sure enough, that is what it says in their Q & A.
                              Yep...

from P&G's web site:
                              Ok to wash car?
                              Question Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');