• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash m

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
    As Mike Stoops said, claying should remove the wax but if for some reason you really really have the need to use a wax stripper as your wash soap, do not use dawn, but there are a few soaps out there that claim to remove wax and are car wash soaps. One I believe is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear. I'm not too sure how harsh it is, but its probably better than Dawn. I've used it a few times before and I couldn't tell if it stripped wax but it definitely took off the dressings on my plastics which led me to believe it did the same for the wax.

But in reality, clay barring is really all you need to remove the wax and if you are doing correction steps, there is not way that you will have any wax left by the time you are ready to do your LSP.
    It works pretty well. I bought a gallon just to strip off old wax since I strip/rewax every month. Its a great all in one washer since it produces some sick foam in my foam cannon
    Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

Re: People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash m

The only thing about the citrus wash that doesn't make sense is that yes it will strip the wax off but you would still be wise to clay bar the vehicle to remove any unseen contaminants. So all in all, it seems like extra money spent on a product that really isn't necessary.

Comment

If my wax is good enough to survive washing, claying, and paint cleaning, it can stay there....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Garage Troll View Post
          The only thing about the citrus wash that doesn't make sense is that yes it will strip the wax off but you would still be wise to clay bar the vehicle to remove any unseen contaminants. So all in all, it seems like extra money spent on a product that really isn't necessary.
          Depends on the user I guess. I don't bother claying every single month so it could be geared towards people like me. Also, it works great as a polishing oils remover after you polish
          Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

Washing-up Liquids (Detergent)

Dawn® and similar type washing liquids chemistry relies primarily on detergent and surfactant technology. This type of chemistry has advanced to the point that it can be engineered to specific soils (i.e. organic grease) Detergent and soap chemistry and product formulation is a lot more complicated than this, suffice it to say; modern car wash formulations are automotive soil specific.

I would not recommend using a harsh dishwashing detergent such as Dawn® on a regular basis, as they contain a degreaser, although most of them are approx pH 8.0 the other ingredients will tend to oxidise the paint system and emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils found in rubber moulding, trim and the paint system, which causes the plasticizers to dry out and oxidize, causing them to lose their flexibility.

The MSDS indicates that this product contains sodium hydroxide, which is highly alkaline the same ingredient used in engine degreasers to chemically ‘burn’ hydrocarbon oils and grease from engine surfaces (sodium hydroxide) it will severely stain aluminium, magnesium, etc. It will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze.

Generally you should avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning. [Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car] [Proctor and Gamble]

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

TOGWT, I love the informative articles you post. May I ask how one would gain access to the Detailing Technical Papers library? I had no success trying to search the internet to find it.

Comment

Excellent, detailed response, TOGWT. I've learned something new today. I always knew NOT to use dish soap on auto paints, but that explains it very clearly. Thanks.

Comment

I haven't seen anyone mention 90% IPA (1:1 dilution with distilled water) or Mineral Spirits. I've read numerous posts that both are excellent for removing wax. They are also good during paint correction for removing cleaning compounds and removed paint before moving on to the next area to be corrected, so you are not fooled by residue that can fill up scratches and make it look corrected.

Just a pont about the before and after pictures with the wash. The two pictures have very different photographic exposures. The first is overexposed resulting in a more washed out, lighter red. The second has a more accurate exposure resulting in a richer/darker color to the paint. To realy tell the effect of the wash, the exposures need to be fairly close. That can easily be done by putting a standard reference card into each picture at the same spot, such as an 18% grey card. If the exposures are the same, the cards will look the same.
                  Best Regards,
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Mary S View Post
                    TOGWT, I love the informative articles you post. May I ask how one would gain access to the Detailing Technical Papers library? I had no success trying to search the internet to find it.
                    “The i articles “Art &Science of Detailing” is college level PhD(tailing) material that is easily understood and very informative, The information in these articles is factual rather than subjective. It is not intended to be a source of opinion but rather tried and proven techniques, methodologies and facts about detailing and the chemicals and products used. For details see - http://togwt1980.blogspot.com the series of technical papers will soon be available on iPad and the Amazon's Digital Text Platform Kindle 3.
                    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT View Post
                      Washing-up Liquids (Detergent)

I would not recommend using a harsh dishwashing detergent such as Dawn® on a regular basis, as they contain a degreaser, although most of them are approx pH 8.0 the other ingredients will tend to oxidise the paint system and emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils found in rubber moulding, trim and the paint system, which causes the plasticizers to dry out and oxidize, causing them to lose their flexibility.

The MSDS indicates that this product contains sodium hydroxide, which is highly alkaline the same ingredient used in engine degreasers to chemically ‘burn’ hydrocarbon oils and grease from engine surfaces (sodium hydroxide) it will severely stain aluminium, magnesium, etc. It will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze.
                      The information in these articles is factual rather than subjective. It is not intended to be a source of opinion but rather tried and proven techniques, methodologies and facts about detailing and the chemicals and products used.
                      You claim that these articles are based on proof and not your opinion? Unless you are able to produce data or actual proof backing this assumption up, I say you're only giving your opinion. I've actually consulted with 2 Detail industry recognized chemical engineers and they both state that Dawn will not harm paint, trim, chrome and/or the plasticizers that may be in these items. I personally have been exclusively using/testing Dawn weekly on my personal vehicle for 1 year w/o any adverse effects so far. My car is in S. Florida, parked outside 24hrs/day and runs atleast 8 hours per day, 5 days a week. I believe someone on another forum compared the PH level of Dawn to other car wash soaps and found that they are comparable. What is your evidence/data supporting your statement?
                      South Florida & Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Comment

I'm suprised that a 'detail chemist' would claim that sodium hydroxide will not harm paint trim etc. The mfg also states that it should not be used for cleaning auto paint.

If your happy using a washing up liquid for your personal vehicle that's your choice, I always advise against using household cleaning products for car care as they are formulated for very different surfaces.

Comment

I'm suprised that a 'detail chemist' would claim that sodium hydroxide will not harm paint trim etc. The mfg also states that it should not be used for cleaning auto paint.

If your happy using a washing up liquid for your personal vehicle that's your choice, I always advise against using household cleaning products for car care as they are formulated for very different surfaces.
                          With all due respect Jon, how can you claim your material as unbiased, factual, subjective and proven when it is no more than your untested opinion. Again, what source can you credit(with doumention) that substaniates your view? Just because the manufacture would never promote or endorse their product to be used in a an automotive application means zero. Case in point Woolite which is also a household cleaner and you have regularly recommended its use. For example:

South Florida & Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Comment

For the record and consistent with the David is saying is that I believe Woolite specifically says that their product shouldn't be used on automotive leather, but many use it without problem.

Having said that, I'm not a chemist, nor have a spoken to one about the subject. I know the MOL position is that Dawn is for dishes, not for cars. I have washed both of my cars (once) with Dawn and I had NO adverse effects, although I don't think there is a lot of value in my one time anecdotal evidence.
                            ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Interesting thread from the past that may shed some light on this thread as well. I thought something looked familiar.

Seems like déjà vu.
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                                For the record and consistent with the David is saying is that I believe Woolite specifically says that their product shouldn't be used on automotive leather, but many use it without problem.
                                As a matter of fact, I've read people stating that Lexus & Cadillac owner's manuals recommend using a 5% wool safe detergent solution (a.k.a. Woolite) for general interior cleaning(which I don't personally practice). That's a whole nother topic all together.

Nice link jfelbab - Definately not the 1st time (or last) TOGWT has been called to clean up his regurgitation. Again, I'm sure without it coming to fruition again in this instance.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');