• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning tires before applying protectant/spray/gel etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning tires before applying protectant/spray/gel etc

Very newbie question...

Before applying products to keep tires black and glossy, ie Hot Shine, Insane or Endurance products, how do you clean or prepare the tires?

Is it just a case of washing them like you do the car, perhaps with old mitt?....or are the above prodcuts also cleaners?

I thought I read somewhere where some members were complaining about tires looking brown, and the response was that tires should be cleaned before apply these products.

Re: Cleaning tires before applying protectant/spray/gel etc

You could use car wash, but to really clean them well you should use something like All Purpose Cleaner
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

You should always clean your tires very good before applying dressing. I use my versa angle tire scrubbing brush plus car wash and some all purpose cleaner on them and scrub. My tires always come out EXCELLENT thanks to Meguiars products. Hopefully that helped you out.
      Don't forget to rev em high 2005 infiniti fx45, 2005 subaru outback sport se
      2000 ford ranger xlt, 2006 nissan maxima se

Comment

Originally posted by MediaMan View Post
        Very newbie question...

Before applying products to keep tires black and glossy, ie Hot Shine, Insane or Endurance products, how do you clean or prepare the tires?

Is it just a case of washing them like you do the car, perhaps with old mitt?....or are the above prodcuts also cleaners?

I thought I read somewhere where some members were complaining about tires looking brown, and the response was that tires should be cleaned before apply these products.

the tires are the first clean i clean.

i first spray them down with Hot Rims Multi Piece Wheel Cleaner and the Tires with a foam Tire Cleaner by MEGS. i can't remeber the name right now sorry. i let that sit for 30 seconds, and then i use the Versa-Angle Tire Brush for the Tires and Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush Short Handle for the Rims. i did both in soap and water to get a little extra bite and then rinse off.

the whole time i'm doing this, i have sprayed the wheel well of the tire i'm working on with APC and at times Safe D-Greaser and i let that sit for about a minute. i clean the wheel well with a microfiber. a cheaper one that say you can get at Costco.

you can look for my gallery and see a photo of my rims and tires i cleaned up nice. heck i'll include one here.

and yes i ALWAYS clean my tires/rims before applying product. the brown colour can occur over time if not properly taken care off.

if your rims are bad, you can always try claying them to help get some stubborn stains off. build up of brake dust etc...rims are one of those things you have to stay on top of. i wash mine once a week and probably just QD with an MF probs once or twice a week. makes it easier to spend 10 minutes once or twice a week for a QD then 2 hours on a weekend just trying to polish them back up again.

once i've finished cleaning i apply two coats of Endurance High Gloss Gel, Hyper Dressing for the wheel wells and a coat of NXT for the rims (helps keep the brake dust off and makes it soooooooooo much easier to clean...)

in terms of what products to use on your tires/rims its totally up to you. its going to be personal choice. i like what i use so i just stick with it. i've tried other stuff and don't like it as much as what i use now. so they say, find something you like and stick with it.

hope that helps. if the image doesn't show up just click the link. its 50/50 with me to get it to appear.

Comment

I generally use all purpose cleaner with a versa angle brush. I'm very pleased with this combo
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 23jam View Post
            I generally use all purpose cleaner with a versa angle brush. I'm very pleased with this combo
            Re All Purpose Cleaner (D10101), it is described as ideal for reconditioning all interior surfaces. The superior foaming action gently lifts the dirt away while its unique blend of fabric softeners and optical brighteners enhance the look and feel of carpet, upholstery, vinyl and even leather. Interesting that many use it as a tire cleaner !!

I was going to use NXT Generation Tire Cleaner (G-12515) but I note is discontinued. ( even though it is shown in the video for the Versa Angle Tire Brush w/ Short Handle).

Comment

Apc = All purpose Cleaner!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
                Apc = All purpose Cleaner!!!

...but APC: for reconditioning all interior surfaces.

Seriously, with so much diversity in thier product line, and so specific as to their use, I am surprised they dont have a tire cleaner product. But if APC works, it works.

Comment

...but APC: for reconditioning all interior surfaces.

Seriously, with so much diversity in thier product line, and so specific as to their use, I am surprised they dont have a tire cleaner product. But if APC works, it works.
                  FWIW...
                  APC and APC+ work just find on all kinds of surfaces, I use APC+ on the garage floor regally and it cleans up concrete quite well!
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Cleaning tires/wheels before applying protectant/spray/gel etc

Some more newbie follow-ups -

Tires
                    1) How do you use All Purpose Cleaner - is it just mixed with wate?? Is it applied with and old wash mitt or put in a spray bottle? I assume one agitates with a Verta tire brush and rinse off with a hose....but there as post ealier to use car wash - was that instead of APC? or does one use both??
                    2) Where is APC available in Canada? (TrufflePig??)
                    3) Re dressing with somethng Hot Shine Tire Spray, do you just spray on and walk away?

Comment

....and

Wheels

1) Whats the diff between Wheel Brightener(D14001) and Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (9524)

2) How is the Wheel Brightener applied - do you pour it into a spray bottle?

3) For the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, after sprating, is the Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush soft enough to not scratch?

Comment

Well, lets see...

1. You mix APC with water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray on whatever you need. A foaming sprayer works good with APC. Then yes, agitate with a tire brush, or tooth brush, etc.

You could use car wash solution, but it is milder, so unless you keep up with it very often, you would probably want the stronger cleaner.

2. Trufflepig?

3. You can spray and walk away, or you can let it set for 8-10 minutes, then buff off excess with an old towel. It kind of depends on your tires, if you need to wipe off excess to stop sling.

1. Wheel Brightener is strong stuff, and cant be used on certain wheels, and can only be left on for so long. The All-Wheel Cleaner and Multi-Piece wheel cleaners are a lot safer, and seem quite strong enough for most situations.

Though Wheel Brightener is probably cheaper since it is in bulk as well.

Basically, make sure you know what you are doing and it is safe for the wheels you are working on. I tend to get distracted, so I use the safer products.

2. Yeah, spray bottle it on. Agitate with a soft brush/cloth if needed.

3. The Wheel Face Brush is great, get a few while you still can. It is my favorite of all of the brushes.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          The Wheel Face Brush is great, get a few while you still can. It is my favorite of all of the brushes.
                          ugh went to one big lots today, bone dry on everything. heading over to another one tomorrow.
                          2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
                          2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
                          1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

Re: Cleaning tires/wheels before applying protectant/spray/gel etc

Some more newbie follow-ups -

Tires
                            1) How do you use All Purpose Cleaner - is it just mixed with wate?? Is it applied with and old wash mitt or put in a spray bottle? I assume one agitates with a Verta tire brush and rinse off with a hose....but there as post ealier to use car wash - was that instead of APC? or does one use both??
                            2) Where is APC available in Canada? (TrufflePig??)
                            3) Re dressing with somethng Hot Shine Tire Spray, do you just spray on and walk away?
                            hey MediaMan,

2) Unforunately it is not. I might be able to get some though. if you're interested. let me know. sorry dude.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');