• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding single stage Polyuerathane paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding single stage Polyuerathane paint

Is it possible to wet sand out small blemishes, sags and orange peel in single stage non metalic poly? And suggestions, tips and product suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wet sanding single stage Polyuerathane paint

I answered your other post already but I missed something:

What Products do you use for paint finishing (compounding and polishing)?
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

I didn't get you 1st response can you resend it.

I haven't used anything yet. I painted in the fall and it's been in the garage since. I have Meg's Solo system. I also have M85 and M66. I'm really looking for suggestions. Show season is rapidly approaching.

Thanks, for the response!

Comment

here's the link to the thread you had posted before:

But now that the defects are posted, I guess 1500 or 2000 grit sanding paper would be fine to do the job.

My suggestions for sanding paper yould be 3M imperial wet or dry, or Megs Unigrit. If you are familiar with dry sanding, try the hookit II system: 1500 to start and refine it with the Trizact disc.

As far as I know, the Solo system won't do anything, or will work slower because I remember Mike answered in some posts that the Solo system is made for paint finishing after it's been repainted and still uncured.

So I'd go with 2000 to start and switch to 1500 if 2000 is slowing down too much the job by hand. I don't hav any experience with dry sanding so I can't really post an accurate opinion about that one.

I'd use M84 with the 3M perfect it III foam compounding pad, then use M83 with a 3M foam polishing pad and do a second polishing step using M66 or M80 with the PC. after that I'd top it with any good wax. I use Banana magic wax, XP Seal It, XP Swirl Remover wax (all from Automagic), or 3M paste wax.

If the paint is still uncured, a second coat of M80 would be a good option, or you can get 3M's Final glaze or Evercoat's finishing glaze.

Hope This Helps

Comment

Hey Chex,

Thanks for responding. What do you use for the dry sanding, an orbital sander?

Scotchmaster

Comment

yup, but I don't have one or tried to do a dry sanding method :P

the people in the forum that dry sand use mirka sanding disks or 3M disks and pneumatic random orbital palm sanders, so if you're familiar with the process, go on.

BTW, 3M recommends using a soft interface pad because it's supposed you'll have a finer finish from the one the grit you use would give you (ex: if you use a 1200grit disk, you'll have the original cut rate, but it will leave you a finish of a 1500 grit disk).

sorry for my delay, I was a little busy with some college projects

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');