• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Product To Remove Light Swirls/Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Product To Remove Light Swirls/Scratches

I am trying to line up everything I need to get my new car shined up when the weather breaks (it has been a long winter). The car has a lot of light swirl/scratch marks probably from the previous owner using a car wash. I have the clay bar kit, ScratchX, and NXT polish. I am just wondering if I should use Deep Chrystal polish rather than use ScratchX on the whole car?

Re: Best Product To Remove Light Swirls/Scratches

ScratchX is more effective at removing swirls and scratches then Deep Crystal Polish.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Keep in mind most clear coat finishes are harder than traditional single stage paint, not softer. This makes for a paint job that is durable and will last a long time, but it doesn't always mean it will look good a long time.

It also makes it more difficult for you and I to remove scratches by hand and even by machine in some cases. If you've never used ScratchX to remove scratches before, then here are some threads to read beforehand to get an understand as to what's required to remove scratches and swirls by hand.

Start with these,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

How to remove a below surface defect by hand using ScratchX

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        I am trying to line up everything I need to get my new car shined up when the weather breaks (it has been a long winter). The car has a lot of light swirl/scratch marks probably from the previous owner using a car wash. I have the clay bar kit, ScratchX, and NXT polish. I am just wondering if I should use Deep Chrystal polish rather than use ScratchX on the whole car?
        hi there.

do you have a PC? or is this all by hand?

if you say that they are light swirls, then the DC1 DC2 system might work.

so you could go.

wash
        clay
        DC1
        DC2
        wax x 2

using scratch x on the whole car might take you a whole day working on a panel at a time. it might take more than one pass each panel. and you may find that you'll be really tired and your arm will be sore, so you may want to extend that over two days. say start at night, do two or three panels, and then continue in the morning. scratch x requires some passion.

but if you use scratch x then you can go.

wash
        clay
        scratch x
        pure polish like #7
        wax x 2

personally, i'd probably invest in M80 and or M83 to help you out a lot more.

if you have a PC then you'll be good to do the following.

wash
        clay
        m80
        m83 if needed
        wax x 2

can you post any pictures for us to see and better help you out.

Comment

I will be doing all the applications by hand. I will try to get some pictures. I have never posted any picture before, so it may take me a while! It goes in the shop tonight, so It will probably take a couple of days. I have thought about getting some kind of a polisher - I am just a little weary of removing too much finish and damaging trim pieces. Wish I were close enough to attend one of the weekend clinics!

Comment

The PC is a very easy machine to use. It can not remove a large amount of paint to cause worry unless you are holding it in the same spot for an eternity.

Here is an excellent thread covering the amount of paint removed:

Unless you are using a rotary, you can't damage the trim.
            Chris
            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

read the links Mike provided for you and then post any questions you may have.

let's see pics.

GOODLUCK!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');