• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First timer needs options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer needs options

My favorate thing in life: out side of my family would be my 99 Range Rover HSE..
    I use it for what it was built for;light trail riding and offroading.. And the spray bays and car washes have done nothing short of killing my paint... As far as know this is the factory finish... It only has 60k and when I bought it was like new glossy... However nowthe finish is similar to that of the one posted recently by the guy that hit the car door with steel wool... Deep surface scraches not quite to the primer are killing me... After weeks of research I have decided to obtain a rotary buffer and try my hand at resurfacing myself... I have visited several auto stores and stare at the products for hours and leave empty handed ... I need a little hand holding on this one... I'd like to know where to start what compound product I should start with and then what product should be applied afterwards... I have an older jeep that I can practice on so I can be as aggresive as possible however the Rover is black and my practice model is tan... I know this will effect the outcome... PLEASE HELP... What pads products and speed do I need and what are the best steps to take to get my babys luster back????
    Last edited by Macchio; Feb 25, 2007, 06:47 AM. Reason: error in text

Re: First timer needs options

Have you considered trying a Dual Action (DA) polisher before rotary?
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

No the scratches are way to deep .. I need to resurface the whole finish

Comment

Honestly man if the finish is as bad as you say I would have an experienced person from here who is close to you do it. By the time you buy the buffer, the supplies and damaged your paint you'll be way over the cost of a good detail then you can buy things to keep it up properly

Comment

Is there any chance of some pics?

And I have to agree... I wouldnt want to send a first timer onto their favorite car with a rotary buffer to practice... If you think its bad now, it can get worse...
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For those cases i would agree with all the previous posts and back off the rotary buffer. af your rover is black, you can make this your worst nightmare ant basically because it's not an easy job, as far as what you posted

HOWEVER I got a VERY good news for you: check automagic's website and get any information related to the new risk free detailing system. you won't be using a rotary buffer. you'd be using the cyclo polisher, but i've used their products and can tell you ther0re reliable. I havent used that system but it could be a safer and i guess a more effective way to solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if you need a link to the webpage PM me please.
            " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');