• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy question: Newbie type of question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy question: Newbie type of question.

Hey guys been reading a ton and I like this site. I have used meguiars but never got "serious" like I am now.

Is a glaze/polish about the same? I'm doing the 5 step process. I have used 1 and 2 and going to finish up with NXT. I have a new bottle of 3m Hand Glaze(I know sorry I got before I came meguiar loyal I guess you could say).

1. Will this help any?

2. Do I apply before nxt or after I"m assuming before, but will it "hut" the polish I already have on there and cause the nxt not to bond correctly?

Re: Easy question: Newbie type of question.

Have to be carefull going between different companies terminology.

For Meguiars, polish and glaze are the same thing. For other companies, those words can mean all kinds of different things.

I believe the Hand Glaze is a pretty pure polish, which is like a Meguiars glaze or polish, maybe only real mild cleaners.

You can certainly try it and see how you like it. Do a test area or panel with it ,and see if you like the looks, and topped with Nxt.

Well, you can never garauntee that different companines products will work well together, but I havent seen or heard of problems with 3M and Meguairs.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Polish should go on the finish before the wax; since a "pure" polish is like skin lotion, in that it nurtures and conditions the paint to shine by restoring vital oils, but it doesn't protect, so follow up with a nice thin even coat of NXT to protect the work you just did, it should have no problem bonding correctly, just make sure it cures properly. I usually apply the wax to the entire car(in the shade of course!) before i start to buff it out. Even then it may need to stay on the finish longer depending on the temperature and/or humidity to get the most durability out of the wax. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sonofjesse View Post
        Is a glaze/polish about the same? I'm doing the 5 step process. I have used 1 and 2 and going to finish up with NXT. I have a new bottle of 3m Hand Glaze(I know sorry I got before I came meguiar loyal I guess you could say).

1. Will this help any?
        Forget the names for a moment and look at our polishes as either,
        • Cleaner/Polishes - A polish with a diminishing abrasive to help remove fine swirls and scratches
        • Pure Polishes - A polish without diminishing abrasives, only for use on paint in perfect condtion before applying wax.
        Will it help? A pure polish adds gloss, clarity, depth and shine, so yes it will help, you can't always see these things on lighter colors as well as you can darker colors.

Originally posted by sonofjesse View Post
        2. Do I apply before nxt or after I"m assuming before, but will it "hut" the polish I already have on there and cause the nxt not to bond correctly?
        You apply a pure polish before a wax.

You can't get a build up with a pure polish, so adding more won't hurt anything. As for the bonding issue, check out the Information Station and do some reading, here's a thread from the Hot Topics subforum.

Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

Hope this helps...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks makes good sense

I was happy with the meguiars polish in the step 2. So I think I'll just sell my 3M stuff lol.

Thanks for being patient guys!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');