• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Scratches From Door Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing Scratches From Door Panels

I would say that it is a textured plastic. It is on the lower third of the door panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      I would say that it is a textured plastic. It is on the lower third of the door panels.
      Okay, now were concrete on this.

What is the specific problem? Choose one that best describes the problem you're hoping to fix.

A) There are physical scuffs and scratches in the plastic, as in places where plastic is missing and the texture of the plastic has been physically changed.

B) There are visual scuffs and mars on the textured plastic but the plastic isn't harmed in any way. For example, someone's black shoe heel has rubbed against the pebble textured plastic and transferred blackness onto the textured plastic.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If its a scuff i dont think you could fix it without heat and if its textured good luck with makeing it look good . But if its a skid mark your going to have to try to remove whatever was transferd to the panel (rubber from your shoe) off without removeing the material under it. I personly use a pencil eraser (soft rubber) with solvent, spray the mark and erase it and thts only on non painted or dyed top surface. i also have used heavy cut compound with a microfiber cloth and it worked great just put a cloth over your finger put a real small amount on the tip and rub out the mark. again thts if its not a painted or dyed surface. then clean it with your cleaner then use a protectant to return the gloss. good luck. ( opps i steped away from the pc while writing this reply and when i finished i just noticed i posted mid conversation and after a few posts sry for interupting)

Comment

Just spoke with Scott on the phone it the problem is

B) There are visual scuffs and mars on the textured plastic but the plastic isn't harmed in any way. For example, someone's black shoe heel has rubbed against the pebble textured plastic and transferred blackness onto the textured plastic.

He's already tried Goo Gone and Simple Green and neither had any effect.

We recommended he give some M39 a try with a stiff bristle nylon brush, we've seen this product perform miracles over the decades.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

In some extreme cases where a stiff bristle brush and APC wouldn't work, I have used a very small amount of Body Solvent (Detailer Line) on a cloth. That has worked well at "breaking down" the transferred material without damaging the color of the plastic. Of course, I wouldn't use it over large areas and it's probably not recommended for interior use at all (Mike??).

Just as an FYI for extreme cases or where the plastic has been cut/scratched, I recently used some very fine steel wool to lightly abrade the area and then dressed it (See Pics). I had a problem with it turning white after a chemical was applied, but I'm sure this process would level at least light scratches or cuts.

Anytime you sand/abrade interior plastic you will not be able to restore the sheen/coating so do it will great discernment. Some places look better simply left alone. There are some plastic/vinyl repair kits, but I don't know how well they work.

Jonathan

Before:

After VF Steel Wool & Dressing:

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post
              In some extreme cases where a stiff bristle brush and APC wouldn't work, I have used a very small amount of Body Solvent (Detailer Line) on a cloth.

That has worked well at "breaking down" the transferred material without damaging the color of the plastic. Of course, I wouldn't use it over large areas and it's probably not recommended for interior use at all (Mike??).
              Before we would recommend using Body Sovent for use on interior surfaces we would recommend M39 or APC
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I know the hardwood floor guys recommend using mineral spirits to clean about everything. It won’t hurt cured plastic, e.g. polyurethane. Yet it’s good at breaking down petroleum based substances, e.g. paint, shoe polish, etc. That, plus audioguy99’s suggestion of a fine steel wool might just do it.

BTW: My new Civic has less than 600 miles on it an I noticed that I’m leaving some scuffs there. I try cleaning them off and let you know how it goes. Hopefully, they are light and fresh enough that #40 will do the trick.

Comment

I've had good results with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. My patrol cars gets these scuffs all the time due to exiting the vehicle a million times a day. Mr. Clean has always taken care of them and it is quick and easy. Just a thought.
                  A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

My VW really had issues with scuff marks and the light beige lower door panel. I used a white rubber eraser and it worked wonders. I've also heard the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well too.

Comment

I'm a total neophyte here, but the erasers have me wonding if clay would work for this; in case you don't have an eraser. The other day I was reading here where someone discovered, to their amazement, that clay worked wonders on glass-- truck windshield.

I've used the pink erasers to remove oxidation from stainless steel and other metals.

I hope the Mr. Clean Eraser works, so I can transfer responsibility for the task to my better half.

Comment

This weekend I tried some NXT Generation Tech Protectant and it did seem to eliminate some of the scuffs/scratches. It has more shine than I would really prefer, but I didn't take time to wipe it off after I put it on. I may try to do that tonight - temps nearing 70 finally! All in all, I was happy with the result.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');