• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't remove swirl marks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't remove swirl marks!!

HI:

i got a black s2000 2002 and its got swirl marks all over the car, i have buffed the car with a orbital polisher(2800rpm) and hand waxed/polished, several times can't remove any scratches or swirl marks.

i got the following products.
    clay kit
    deep crystal car wash soap
    meguiars step 1 and 2
    cleaner wax
    scratch x
    professional swirl remover 2.0 cut 3
    nxt wax
    and other products that got nothing to do with the paint finish.

please guys i need help this is really pissing me off!!! over $100 dollars wasted on the products and none of them work for me.

thanks,.

Re: can't remove swirl marks!!

All of the products you have listed are very mild. You should look into something a little more aggressive, starting w/ #80 and #83. Good luck!
    1999 Ford Contour SVT
    Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
    1966/2760

Comment

Have you read any of these links at all as well?

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by rpbtos View Post
        HI:

i got a black s2000 2002 and its got swirl marks all over the car, i have buffed the car with a orbital polisher(2800rpm)
        Welcome to clear coat paint technology.

We never say, "All Clear Coat Pants Are Hard" on this detailing discussion forum.

We do however say that,

"Generally speaking, most clear coat paints are harder than traditional single stage paints"

Another way of saying this is that chances are very good that the clear coat paint on your new Chevy or Honda is harder than the paints that were sprayed back in the 1960's and 1970's, like on a 1966 Mustang, or on a 1975 Corvette.

What this means to you, when you try to remove scratches out of the clear coat, is that it's highly likely that it's going to be difficult when working by hand versus easy.

You can try ScratchX by hand, it can and will work if you understand the correct techniques, if you can't remove them by hand using ScratchX then they will have to be removed by machine.

"Polishing paint is an art form, not a quick, easy wipe-on, wipe-off process"

We all like the durability modern paints offer, that's in part a function of the material used to make modern paints which is in part the hardness feature, but it makes it more difficult to remove below surface defects out of these types of coatings, and it for sure takes the fun out of working on your car.

We have the products and the know-how to show you how to remove the swirls, but you need to decide what you want as far as the big pictures goes...

Swirls in clear coat paints will always be a problem unless you always maintain the finish, this means washing yourself so you now swirls are not being put back in, and the waxing often to keep that showroom new look. Just want to point out that removing the swirls out of a black car that is a daily driver is not a one time procedure.

For a lot of people, just to wash the car and apply a quality wax will reduce the visual appearance of the swirls and will be what they're looking for as the car is a daily driver.

For others, they want perfection as their car is more to them than a daily driver, for these people we can show you have to remove the swirls and then maintain your finish.

Which group do you think you lean towards? Then, how do you want to do the work by hand, or machine. Machine polishing is easier, faster and always gives you better results.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ok thanks, so you saying that the orbital buffer im using is good? and how many times woud i have to polish it in order to get rid of the swirl marks.and what products ist he best to use, i will try to take pics of my car so that you guys can take a look at the swirl marks.

thanks.

Comment

how many times depends on your technique and right product.

you've already done it once, but you used less aggressive product.

try #83 and or #80 and see how those go.

it should disappear after some passion.

Comment

Your orbital buffer can be used to apply wax, but for polishing, it will not be effective at removing swirls.

I would suggest what Murr1525 posted, ScratchX by hand.

Or, invest in a G100 Dual Action Polisher.
              -Brad
              Shine Masters Pasadena, CA
              shine-masters.com

Comment

i was curious... wouldn't #2 fine-cut cleaner (new version that can be used with the DA) be a bit more aggressive than #83 since it's a straight cleaner with no polish in it? would that be the next option/alternative to #83, if that doesn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                  i was curious... wouldn't #2 fine-cut cleaner (new version that can be used with the DA) be more aggressive than #83 since it's a straight cleaner with no polish in it? would that be the next alternative to #83, if that doesn't work?

Used with a G-100 and a 8006 Yellow polishing pad, I would rate the new #2 formulation as less aggressive than #83 and slightly more than say #80. Why that is so I am not sure, that has just been my experience using the products.

Comment

anyone else care to share their experience by g100/pc with the re-formulated #2?

Comment

so yesterday i used to scratch x, with the aplicator pad, and i don't know why . but now there's marks from the product, like in circles

Comment

Originally posted by rpbtos View Post
                        so yesterday i used to scratch x, with the applicator pad, and i don't know why . but now there's marks from the product, like in circles
                        Well ScratchX is non-abrasive in that it won't scratch paint, so we need to look at some other cause.

Sometimes when you clean neglected paint you remove light defects and this has the effect to highlight deeper defects that were already in the paint but masked by the thousands of light defects surrounding them.

Not sure if this would apply in your situation but it's something that is common.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');