Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't remove swirl marks!!

Registered Member

can't remove swirl marks!!

HI:

i got a black s2000 2002 and its got swirl marks all over the car, i have buffed the car with a orbital polisher(2800rpm) and hand waxed/polished, several times can't remove any scratches or swirl marks.

i got the following products.
    clay kit
    deep crystal car wash soap
    meguiars step 1 and 2
    cleaner wax
    scratch x
    professional swirl remover 2.0 cut 3
    nxt wax
    and other products that got nothing to do with the paint finish.

please guys i need help this is really pissing me off!!! over $100 dollars wasted on the products and none of them work for me.

thanks,.

Re: can't remove swirl marks!!

All of the products you have listed are very mild. You should look into something a little more aggressive, starting w/ #80 and #83. Good luck!
    1999 Ford Contour SVT
    Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
    1966/2760

'08 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE - Newport Blue Pearl

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpbtos View Post
    HI:

i got a black s2000 2002 and its got swirl marks all over the car, i have buffed the car with a orbital polisher(2800rpm)
    Welcome to clear coat paint technology.

We never say, "All Clear Coat Pants Are Hard" on this detailing discussion forum.

We do however say that,

"Generally speaking, most clear coat paints are harder than traditional single stage paints"

Another way of saying this is that chances are very good that the clear coat paint on your new Chevy or Honda is harder than the paints that were sprayed back in the 1960's and 1970's, like on a 1966 Mustang, or on a 1975 Corvette.

What this means to you, when you try to remove scratches out of the clear coat, is that it's highly likely that it's going to be difficult when working by hand versus easy.

You can try ScratchX by hand, it can and will work if you understand the correct techniques, if you can't remove them by hand using ScratchX then they will have to be removed by machine.

"Polishing paint is an art form, not a quick, easy wipe-on, wipe-off process"

We all like the durability modern paints offer, that's in part a function of the material used to make modern paints which is in part the hardness feature, but it makes it more difficult to remove below surface defects out of these types of coatings, and it for sure takes the fun out of working on your car.

We have the products and the know-how to show you how to remove the swirls, but you need to decide what you want as far as the big pictures goes...

Swirls in clear coat paints will always be a problem unless you always maintain the finish, this means washing yourself so you now swirls are not being put back in, and the waxing often to keep that showroom new look. Just want to point out that removing the swirls out of a black car that is a daily driver is not a one time procedure.

For a lot of people, just to wash the car and apply a quality wax will reduce the visual appearance of the swirls and will be what they're looking for as the car is a daily driver.

For others, they want perfection as their car is more to them than a daily driver, for these people we can show you have to remove the swirls and then maintain your finish.

Which group do you think you lean towards? Then, how do you want to do the work by hand, or machine. Machine polishing is easier, faster and always gives you better results.
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Registered Member

ok thanks, so you saying that the orbital buffer im using is good? and how many times woud i have to polish it in order to get rid of the swirl marks.and what products ist he best to use, i will try to take pics of my car so that you guys can take a look at the swirl marks.

thanks.

how many times depends on your technique and right product.

you've already done it once, but you used less aggressive product.

try #83 and or #80 and see how those go.

it should disappear after some passion.

Your orbital buffer can be used to apply wax, but for polishing, it will not be effective at removing swirls.

I would suggest what Murr1525 posted, ScratchX by hand.

Or, invest in a G100 Dual Action Polisher.
    -Brad
    Shine Masters Pasadena, CA
    shine-masters.com

Registered Member

i was curious... wouldn't #2 fine-cut cleaner (new version that can be used with the DA) be a bit more aggressive than #83 since it's a straight cleaner with no polish in it? would that be the next option/alternative to #83, if that doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by imacarnut View Post
    i was curious... wouldn't #2 fine-cut cleaner (new version that can be used with the DA) be more aggressive than #83 since it's a straight cleaner with no polish in it? would that be the next alternative to #83, if that doesn't work?

Used with a G-100 and a 8006 Yellow polishing pad, I would rate the new #2 formulation as less aggressive than #83 and slightly more than say #80. Why that is so I am not sure, that has just been my experience using the products.

Registered Member

anyone else care to share their experience by g100/pc with the re-formulated #2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information