• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front bumper help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front bumper help

Hello everyone

I need some help. I purchased a black truck about a month ago. Overall the truck is in great shape with the exception of the front bumper, which has old dried up bug stains. The bug splatter seems to be baked into the paint already. If anyone could give me some advice on what I can do to remove this bug splatter I would greatly apreciate it. I am thinking that because the splatter has been on the bumper for so long the bumper may need to be refinished by a body shop. I have searched and found some info in regards to soaking the bugs in water and what not but that seems to work for bug splatter that is fresh. Thanks in advance

Re: Front bumper help

I allways use clay on bug stains,easy and effective.
    Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

I assume you have most of the 'bits' off, and more of a stain remaining? The stain could have etched in a bit as well, which is basicaly like a scratch or swirl.

Definately give it a claying first, then go over it with ScratchX a couple times and see what you can do.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If the stain, (bug guts), appears to be something on the surface then you could try some of the methods outlined here,

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

This tip was given to me by a forum member who attended one of our Saturday Detailing classes, I can't remember his name but I think he's a friend of Buellwinkle?

If you have dried on bug splatter, typically on the front of your car where they impact, and you want to loosen and remove the splatter without having to scrub the area with force as so not to instill any scratches into your finish, what you need to do is to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts.

Here is the sugggestion...

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

Another variation of this would be to apply some Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover to the wet wash rag before applying it to the dried bug splatter.

After a few minutes have passed give the area a gentle wipe-off and the bug splatter should remove easily. Then either wash the car as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.
        A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

After loosening and removing as much as you can with water and washing you could then use a paint cleaner like ScratchX and spend some focused time working the bug splatter off, by this we don't mean wipe the product on and off but get down to face level with the bumper and put a little passion behind your applicator pad on individual splatter spots.

You could also try claying as Arne mentioned at this time.

If the bug splatter spots are more like etchings into the paint, (not something plastered on the paint), then again, a product like ScratchX by hand or a cleaner/polish like M80 or M83 by machine.

Not very happy with ScratchX

ScratchX Works! - I Stand Corrected

Great ScratchX Questions Thread!

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove defects like these,
        1. Scratches
        2. Swirls
        3. Bird Dropping Etchings
        4. Water spots
        5. Scuff and Mars
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated. I will let you guys know what happens, well as soon as it stops raining

Comment

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
            Thanks for the help, very much appreciated. I will let you guys know what happens, well as soon as it stops raining

If your car is outside in the rain, the best time to tackle this would be after it quits raining, that is if it's been raining for any amount of time because that would have already helped to start the softening process.

Of course this assumes the bug splatter is an actual splatter and not an etching.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I ran by finger through the bug splatter and it felt like a scratch so maybe it etched into the paint. I will try and tackle this first thing in the morning

Comment

Well I put alot of passion into the bumper and had very little success. The splatter is etched in there and would not come off. I am probably going to have the bumper refinished. oh well

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');