• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Scratches out of Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Scratches out of Glass

Removing Scratches out of Glass

Historically, deep scratches cannot be removed, light scuffs can be polished out of the glass using a glass polishing kit sold by the Eastwood company, but not actual scratches with a depth to them.

Here's a related article,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

In order to remove a scratch out of anything, metal, plastic glass, paint, etc. You must remove material around the scratch until the surface is level or equal to the lowest depths of the scratch or scratches.

The below diagram if for paint, the the same thing applies to just about an surface material or coating.

"In essences, you don't really remove a scratch, you remove material around a scratch."

Then the big question is, is the material or coating workable, as in can you abrade small particles of it and leave behind an original looking surface. For example, some things you can abrade, (remove the scratch), but you can never completely remove all of your abrading marks, thus you can't really fix the problem, all you can do is exchange one set of scratches of a different set of scratches.

The next questions is, how thick is the surface material you're working on or the coating. You are limited to what you can do by the thickness of these to things, (surface coating or surface material), and whether or not this surface is workable.

Sometimes you don't know what you can so until you try. It's always a good idea to test your choice of products, applicator materials and application process, (By hand or by machine), to an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good. It's always a good idea to test first and error on the side of caution, versus make a mistake you cannot undo.

The only product out on the market that we know for removing light scratches in glass is made by the Eastwood company.

Do a Google search using the words Eastwood Company and you should be able to find the kit.

Mike Phillips
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Removing Scratches out of Glass

Do anyone have any experience using this product?

Here’s my situation:
    My wife’s 2005 G35 windshield (30k miles) has thousands of little nicks and spots on it. My 2007 G35 (1,500 miles) windshield is already headed in the same direction. Cars that I owned in the 90s never had windshield problems like this. Are windshields constructed differently for today’s cars?

I’ve tried Meguiar’s NXT Glass Cleaner (works great, wish you sold it in bulk), but it can’t touch these nicks. I tried Diamondite’s Glass Cleaning System (clay, cleaner, & glass shield), but it did not help either!

Is Eastwood’s Glass Polishing Kit the next thing I should try? Am I overlooking a really simple solution to this problem? If I end up using Eastwood’s Kit, will I need to buy a Porter Cable to apply it?

Thanks for your help.

Crazy for Crystal Clear Glass in Alabama

Comment

Its really only for surface scuffs, not defects that are like pits or scratches.

Most people expect too much when it comes to working on somthing as hard and unworkable as glass.

A PC won't work, not enough POWER, you would need a rotary.

Might be time to buy a new windshield.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Buy a new windshield? You mean time to go ***** and moan at the dealership until the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Do you have any insight as to why the windshield is going to **** so fast?

Comment

Where to you drive the car?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

My wife and I each commute 10 miles to work on 4-6 lane highways in Birmingham, AL. Both cars are garaged at night and typically washed weekly. My wife's car has been to the beach along the Gulf Coast four or five times. My car only has 1,500 miles on it and the windshield is already showing a few of those little nicks in it.

I had a 1996 BMW 3 Series a few years ago and at the time I worked at a wharehouse that was beside a sand & gravel plant. I parked outside 5 days a week there for a year and a half. If it had not rained in a while and was windy, my car would have a thin layer of sand on it at the end of the day. But with all of that environmental abuse, the BMW's windshield didn't have many noticeable blemishes like my wife's car. Are windshield's constructed differently now than they were ten years ago?

Thanks again for your help.
            Maybe I should just see a shrink about my OCD and get over the imperfections in the glass!

Comment

Pits in glass usually come from things hitting the glass, like sand, dirt, rocks, etc. We see a lot of cars come to our classes with little pits in the glass and often times the owner will comment they drive back and forth from SoCal to Las Vegas. This trip takes place along long stretches of sandy desert with high winds, so it's not uncommon to see this kind of problem.

As for changing glass technology, it's for certain it's changing probably just as often as new technology is introduced and if it's like any other industry, then that's probably pretty often.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

In Florida, if you have full coverage insurance, you are entitled to free replacement windshields. Is that not the case where you live? If so, that's the route I would be taking. My 2003 Yukon has what you're talking about (I call it sand sparkle because the windshield seems to sparkle in the sunlight from all the pits) and I'm just going to get a new windshield from the insurance company. Afterall, it is the least they can "give" me since I've sent them thousands over the years for coverage.
                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Just to share with u guys. Yesterday while I was driving home, the car in front of me (nowadays some new car models doesn't have the mudguard anymore) from it's rear tyre flew a tiny piece of stone onto my windscreen. Not my windscreen got 2 stone chips and it's very frustrating.....

And last week got another stone chip from a MPV. Why do the car manufactures doesn't install mudguard anymore nowadays. They could design the read bumper lower a bit then. I know it look nicer without the mudguard but they should think of the safety too.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');