• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OLD VAN NEEDS NEW LOOK suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD VAN NEEDS NEW LOOK suggestions needed

Long time reader, just joined because of the awesome community and helpful tips.

I have a 1999 Mercury Villager. Paint-wise It is in pretty bad condition. There are LOTS of swirls. My camera doesn't do justice to the amount of swirls. Plenty of spider webs on the car. There are also water marks on the windows, I tried a razor blade with no effect.

I need suggestions on which products to use to resurrect my paint from this awful condition.

I was thinking when i get my PC (Does having a backing plate improve results?) to do a few passes with 80 or 83 and then add some sealant and some polish and finish it up with a couple of coats of wax.

All suggestions welcome, here are some pics of the beast.

Sorry I didn't get a change to wash the car, but all the defects are still present.

Re: OLD VAN NEEDS NEW LOOK suggestions needed

When you said old van, we were thinking of something from the 70's!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It's not that old

Comment

The cracks in the last picture are throughout the paint, so you can't fix those. As for the rest of the paint, since this isn't a show car, at least it hasn't been maintained in the past), you could either take a multiple step approach or just use a cleaner/wax like ColorX.

If you want to invest in the time it will take to do a multiple step process then follow this starting with washing, then claying, then M83, followed by M80 and then on to wax.

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

If you want to one-step it then wash the car and clay the paint and then use ColorX with your PC.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          When you said old van, we were thinking of something from the 70's!
          Preferably with an Aztec sun god mural.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            The cracks in the last picture are throughout the paint, so you can't fix those. As for the rest of the paint, since this isn't a show car, at least it hasn't been maintained in the past), you could either take a multiple step approach or just use a cleaner/wax like ColorX.

If you want to invest in the time it will take to do a multiple step process then follow this starting with washing, then claying, then M83, followed by M80 and then on to wax.

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

If you want to one-step it then wash the car and clay the paint and then use ColorX with your PC.
            Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far. A couple of questions I have remaining are: What do you suggest to get the water marks off the window? and does a backing plate on the PC matter much, is it even necessary? Also how many pads do you suggest I use during the process? Most of what i have been reading is about 4 pads.

Comment

I'm pretty sure #83 would work well on the windows. I can't imagine being able to use a G100 without a backing plate since the pad would just deform, flex, and probably tear. For that matter, I don't think it's possible to attatch the pad with the backing plate. I suggest you get one pad per product you plan to use with the PC. If you plan to use #80, I suggest you get 2 pads for that. I'm certainly not an expert though.
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by FastOne View Post
                and does a backing plate on the PC matter much, is it even necessary?
                Without a backing plate, all you'll have is the drive unit of the polisher and no place to attach the pad, when you get it and take it out of the box and look at the design it will all make sense.

Also how many pads do you suggest I use during the process?
                For a van that size, the job will go easier and faster if you have 3-4 pads for each cleaning step you do and if or when a pad becomes saturated with product then swap it out for a fresh dry pad.

Most of what i have been reading is about 4 pads.
                What forum are you reading most about 4" pads? Not this one. We offer a 6" pad for the dual action polisher and that's what we talk about on this forum and that's what all the spectacular results you see in all the pictures on this forum are created with.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

wow a Mercury Villager. One of the first cars I learned to drive in. Such good times with overdrive.

Anyways, I do imagine the paint is quite hard. We used to have one in the same colour, but my sister...got rid of it before I ever had a change to detail it. I would start out with the #83 on a W8006 pad on speed 5.

Also I don't think that you will be able to fix this:

Also maybe some #4 on the windows. I haven't tried this before, but I have heard good things about it, and its ability to clean up hard water spots on glass.

As for 4" pads just read this thread.

Edit: Commercial Link Removed. Please adhere to the Forum Rules and do not insert Commercial Links.

I think Meguiar's might not sell them because it can burn trim, and the PC is more or less safe with 6" and 6.5" pads.
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord
                  2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Does he mean 4" pads or 4 pads to complete a detail.

Like 1 8006 pad for #83, 1 8006 for #80, 1 9006 pad for wax, and 1 7006 pad for removing?
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If you are looking for a bargin C, you might try Lowes for the PC7336SP, which is being cleared out. I got a display unit for $25. Go by or call for item # 51472 and ask them to give the number of units in stock at other stores, if they do not have one. Prices may vary and some are in boxes. Do you have a local supply for Meg's stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Does he mean 4" pads or 4 pads to complete a detail.

Like 1 8006 pad for #83, 1 8006 for #80, 1 9006 pad for wax, and 1 7006 pad for removing?
                        Yes, I meant the number of pads. I am aware of 6.5" pad being the norm on DA's

Comment

Originally posted by ronniejay View Post
                          If you are looking for a bargin C, you might try Lowes for the PC7336SP, which is being cleared out. I got a display unit for $25. Go by or call for item # 51472 and ask them to give the number of units in stock at other stores, if they do not have one. Prices may vary and some are in boxes. Do you have a local supply for Meg's stuff?
                          I called Lowes stores within 50 miles and they are out of stock. I guess I am a couple of weeks too late.

My local discount auto, pep boys, and napa have a few of the products, but i will have to order the #83 and some others from ADS or autogeek.

Comment

ow man ow man. . . you need to get a rotary to buff those scratches out completely. . but as a rule of thumb, start with the least aggresive method and that would be a PC with #80

happy detailing to you. .
                            before u rev em up, shine em up!

Comment

To frustrateddetailer i will start with #83 and 8006 pad, then #80 with 8006 and after that i haven't really made up my mine yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');