• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black w/ swirls & orange peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black w/ swirls & orange peel

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice. I have a 2006 Cadillac that has some minor swirls on the hood and deck lid and some orange peel on the sides. This is the factory paint. I tried to cover the swirls using some Zaino product but it did not do the trick. It looks ok, but I want the next level. The orange peel on the sides in not as bad as the ones in this post but is very noticable under the garage lights.

My question is would the G100a and the #83 be enough to remove the orange peel. I am pretty confident it will take care of the swirls and minor scratches.

Thanks

Dan

Re: Black w/ swirls & orange peel

Orange peel is something that requires a bit of wet-sanding to remove. A PC and some products will not do the trick for that.

Now, #80 or #83 with the PC will do a great job with the swirls. Just covering them up isnt really the best solution. Using the PC to remove them will get much better resutls.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I was afraid I was going to be told it needs wet sanded. I will probably do the PC on the swirls and maybe wait and see if we get a travel class in my area this year. Thanks for the response.

Dan

Comment

Capt Dan: you can certainly do your swirl removal, but sanding/compounding/glazing are the methods to remove orange peel or other big defects.

Here's a BMW that I did hood sanding on. I have an excellent teacher to guide me along so mistakes are not made (which is not the thing to do with BMW's LOL).

Sanding Picture

Pic of sanded hood

After compounding

Compounded and Glazed

Finished Car

It's best to get a lot of knowledge and/or practice on a junk yard body panel before you tackle your car. There is only a certain amount of material that you can take off before you hit the color coat or deeper. I always use a paint guage before-during-after for reference points.

Good luck.

Toto
        Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Dan View Post
          Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice.

I have a 2006 Cadillac that has some minor swirls on the hood and deck lid and some orange peel on the sides.

This is the factory paint.

Dan

If you have never wet sanded an entire car, and/or if you have never used a rotary buffer to completely go around a car at least twice to completely remove all of your sanding marks, you're asking for help to do one of the hardest jobs there are as it relates to detailing.

Besides that, you're working on a paint job that is thin, and likely hard enough to make removing your sanding marks (completely), very difficult.

Check out this thread...

Can a Rotary Buffer like a Makita or DeWalt be as Idiot-proof as a PC?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I ordered the DVD last week so I will take a look at it when it arrives. I think I will start out with a PC and the #80 and #83 and see what it does. I tried to get som pics in the garage but they did not turn out. I will get some this weekend when I can get it out in the sun. I dont have any desire to start wet sanding on a black car. I do have some experience with a rotory buffer, but that was so many years ago. My grandfather taught me when I was a young teenager. One heck of a man. He repainted the decklid on his 57 Cadillac 3 times before I got it right. I dont have the same patience, so if it needs more than a PC I will be back for some references in my area. Again thanks for the help and I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks

Dan

Comment

For what its worth, there is a Rotary DVD as well... I think it is out now. Check over on showcargarage.com.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');