• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC 7424 - Sonus backing plate with Megs 6.5" Pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC 7424 - Sonus backing plate with Megs 6.5" Pads?

Hi there!

I've just got a PC with sonus sfx kit/pads.

The backing plate appears to be 5 3/4 inches in diameter. Is this OK to use with the Megs 6.5" pads or sould I get the megs backing plate with I beleive is 5"?

Also, how do you guys rate the sfx pads in comparison to the Megs pads?

Many thanks, Cam

Re: PC 7424 - Sonus backing plate with Megs 6.5" Pads?

Originally posted by CamV6 View Post
    Hi there!

I've just got a PC with sonus sfx kit/pads.

The backing plate appears to be 5 3/4 inches in diameter. Is this OK to use with the Megs 6.5" pads or sould I get the megs backing plate with I beleive is 5"?

Also, how do you guys rate the sfx pads in comparison to the Megs pads?

Many thanks, Cam
    As long as the backing plate fits inside the Velcro area and you center the backing plate onto the foam pad before use you should be okay.

Quality and results from using Lake County foam buffing pads who makes the Sonus pads for Autopia appear to be positive. Be careful if you're using a cutting pad on a PC as they tend to micro-mar or haze the paint.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike

By 'cutting' pad (in relation to sonus) I presume you mean the yellow one as opposed to the white one? If so, that's not a problem as I'd only (maybe) intended to use the yellow one with a bonnet for wax application or removal.

Just a shame that we cant get the new Megs yellow micro-suede bonnets in the Uk yet. Are they much better/safer to use than the white 'Ultimate' bonnets?

Comment

Just a shame that we cant get the new Megs yellow micro-suede bonnets in the Uk yet. Are they much better/safer to use than the white 'Ultimate' bonnets?
        I guess we're not up to speed? Micro-Suede Bonnets? Do you have a link?

If you mean our gold colored bonnets in our Consumer line that are microfiber as compared to our white microfiber bonnets in the Professional Line, the difference is primarily the Consumer bonnets have a thicker, plusher nap, which is a good thing.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Sorry, yes you are right, I got confused.

The micro-suede ones are here

Thanks for the info on the yellow Megs bonnets. As I say, cant get them in the UK yet (seemingly) nor in the bonnets seen above.

Comment

From the commercial link you posted,

Do not confuse MicroSuede with regular, terry Microfiber. Terry Microfiber is designed to adhere to a surface, (literally clinging to grease and film) and take it off in a single swipe. While this is desirable for most surfaces, it is a disaster for a waxed finish.

Micro-Suede Microfiber is very different. It glides across the surface, with a natural polish-like friction, that requires no effort. This unique trait makes Micro-Suede Microfiber one of the finest polishing materials in the world. Micro-Suede Microfiber is softer and finer than any other Microfiber or conventional cloth available

This reads like an opinion? Not facts.

Don't read anything in the copy that proves or makes the case that Micro-Suede Microfiber is better. Remember, when you're removing a continuous layer of a film, (a coat of wax), you need a nap to help slice into and break up the continuous layer to get it off, not a flat sheen material.

Experience tells us something with a nap will work better to remove wax versus something with a flat sheen, perhaps we'll order some of these and give them a test as it's never a good idea to post an opinion about something you've never actually used.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Wow! That would be cool, if possible at all. I know you are busy and probably got far better things to do, but if you do ever get round to it, I'd be very interested to hear your opinion.

So, if i may be so bold as to ask for an opinion here, should I.....

1. Trust the light green Sonus MF bonnets I already have (they look a bit thin to me - came as part of the kit)?

or

2. get some Megs Ultimate bonnets?

or

3. Get some of the Megs yellow bonnets shipped to my aunt in LA and get her to ship them to me in the UK? i.e. will the yellow bonnets perform that much better or be that much 'safer' than the white ones to merit the effort? Only reason I say this is that the Megs customer helpdesk told me that Megs no longer make the Ultimate bonnet and that the Yellow one replaces it in the Megs line-up.

Cam

Comment

So, if i may be so bold as to ask for an opinion here, should I.....

1. Trust the light green Sonus MF bonnets I already have (they look a bit thin to me - came as part of the kit)?

or

2. get some Megs Ultimate bonnets?

or

3. Get some of the Megs yellow bonnets shipped to my aunt in LA and get her to ship them to me in the UK? i.e. will the yellow bonnets perform that much better or be that much 'safer' than the white ones to merit the effort? Only reason I say this is that the Megs customer helpdesk told me that Megs no longer make the Ultimate bonnet and that the Yellow one replaces it in the Megs line-up.

Cam
                Just use the green ones you have, if they're microfiber they should work just fine. If the microfiber used for the bonnet has any type of quality to it at all, then technique becomes more important than the material.

Use the 5.0 speed setting and push down about 15 pounds of pressure to remove the wax. Reverse or change out the bonnets as needed.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok Mike, will do, and thank you so much for your replies.

BTW, been watching your SCG video (black Corvette). Great stuff!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');