• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

Last Touch 1:1 is awesome. I use it as a clay lube and as a quik detailer at 1:1 dilution.

Comment

i use a home made lube frequently which i make up with bottled water ( as its filtered ) and ph neutral shampoo like that of megs soft wash gel.
      works very well, make a weak mix spray on your hand and if it feels slick enough use it, if not add a bit more shampoo and test again then once youve found the correct mix use that, costs barely anything, just wash the car with water afterwards.
      Beau Technique
      Member of the autoshine sv detailing network and dodo juice authorised detailer in the UK.

Happy days maxin the waxin.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeand13 View Post

I was claying my car the other day and I feel like I go through a lot of QD.

Are there any cheap alternatives? Any home-brewed ideas?

Car wash soapy water in a spray bottle?

Thanks.
        The guys who install vinyl graphics use 1-2 drops dawn to a 32 oz spray bottle to wet the area on large vinyl jobs this allows the graphic to move until it's in place than they squeegee out the water.

I put 3-5 drops gold class shampoo to 32 oz spray bottle than mist a 1 ft area to be clayed and it works great and if you go to a lot of car shows you can get free sample packs of car wash so the cost is free.

Comment

I don't know if you can find this product anymore, but I use a 25:75 mix of Final Detail and water for a lube.

I presume you can do the same with Last Touch...which replaced FD, BTW.
          r. b.

Comment

THE ANSWER:

GLASS PLUS. About $3 a bottle, and it includes a new sprayer! I always cut it 50%, too. Can't do better than that.

Just don't use Windex or anything w/ amonia in it.
            And if in a real pinch, try diluted windshield washer fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by DetailArtist View Post

THE ANSWER:

GLASS PLUS. About $3 a bottle, and it includes a new sprayer! I always cut it 50%, too. Can't do better than that.

Just don't use Windex or anything w/ amonia in it.
              And if in a real pinch, try diluted windshield washer fluid.
              I would not use windshield washer fluid on paint. I think any of Meguiars spray detailers are better than "Glass Plus" as well.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I don't know if I'd trust a glass cleaner to be a good enough lubricant to get the job done safely. Not that I'd want to be wiping the paint with glass cleaner.

Comment

Last Touch reduced 50/50 with water is only $10 a gallon if purchased at retail, or about $6-7 a GALLON if purchased through many vendors like ADS.

Considering Last Touch doesn't degrade clay in any way, doubles as an excellent cleaner/detailer AND water spot remover... I reach for Last Touch exclusively for claying.

I also use the same bottle as a lubricating agent for breaking up dried polish or compound - it's extremely versatile stuff - and cheap too!

Comment

Quick Detailer is a amazing product to have on your car and is not expensive at all.

Comment

Try a cap full of your favorite liquid car wash and 32 oz of water. This works incredibly well and is the lowest cost solution to your problem.
                      BobbyG

Comment

One question:

I believe (not sure) that "Last Touch" contains silicones.... can this aspect be a problem when waxes are applied in order to fix it to the paint?

In other words... silicones contained in last touch (if it has... I´m not sure) can avoid a correct fusion between wax and paint after claying (waxing is the normal step after claying)?
                        Writting from the Death´s star.

Comment

Originally posted by guanterarefrigerada View Post
                          One question:

I believe (not sure) that "Last Touch" contains silicones.... can this aspect be a problem when waxes are applied in order to fix it to the paint?

In other words... silicones contained in last touch (if it has... I´m not sure) can avoid a correct fusion between wax and paint after claying (waxing is the normal step after claying)?

From my point of view, the petroleum distillates found in waxes / sealants will dissolve & remove any remnants from Last Touch, Final Detail, etc.

I don't think you have anything to worry about here.
                          r. b.

Comment

Hi there, I have found a very affordable gallon of Last Touch, and would like to use it as clay lube. However, I don't want to reduce the life of the following layer of M16. If one of the following Mikes commented on the silicones in Last Touch in combination with M16, that would be much appreciated :-) Best regards, Detlev

Comment

autozone sells a 32 oz bottle of meguiar's quik detailer for $9. it is cheaper than compared to the 16 oz which sells for around 5 or 6 bucks. ( i think 6 at autozone but around 5 at wally world )

Comment

Originally posted by mckeand13 View Post

I was claying my car the other day and I feel like I go through a lot of QD.

Are there any cheap alternatives? Any home-brewed ideas?

Car wash soapy water in a spray bottle?

Originally posted by BlueTooth View Post

if u want u can clay the vehicle while washing it that will save u some time and money

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');