• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

This questions comes up enough that we're moving this to "Hot Topics"

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: substitute for QD when claying

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
      No one wants to 'read' a building plan ...
      ... or search before asking.

Comment

you can try search on Optimum Non Rinse (washing without water product), it can be clay lubricant if you dilute it.

Comment

i found this again. yahoo. i saw this thread before and this is very useful.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the Spray Detailer (step 2 in the waterless system) is the same or similar to Quick Detailer, and can it be used with the clay process?
            I can buy the spray detailer in 2 litre lots but the quick detailer only comes in the small spray bottle.

Comment

I agree with Last Touch 1:1. Great combo...

You CAN use soapy water, but as noted, it will break down the clay and CAN leave soap residue on the paint's surface which can: impede waxing (if you are using a wax/sealant with out cleaners), attract dirt, reduce shine.

A good trick (to save time) would be to wash the car normally then rinse. Since the car is still wet with the rinse water, you can use Last Touch undilluted (as the water on the paint will dilute the Last Touch.

Also Last Touch seems to help dry the paint easier (less water smearing) so it is easy to wipe clean.
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

ONR Clay Lube is great because you don't really need to wash the car afterward. I assume you would get a similar effect with Last Touch?

I've also used sudsy water before and that gives great lubricity.
                We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

I have never seen the need to wash the car after using last touch, 1:1 as my clay lube. To me its not that expensive. Getting a gallon for $17.00 then being able to double the product. 2 gallons for $17.00. If my math is correct, it comes out to 0.066 cents per ounce. Works for me.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

i bought last touch from a local place for 9.99 thats about 0.033 cents per ounce jk i didnt feel like doing the math, but i got a good deal

Comment

Use the right quality product and charge accordingly.

Comment

Hi,I like using QD.I think it's the perfect lube,for consumers.I find if I do my car(small hatch),I use about 3/4's of liquid.I don't do it that often,maybe twice a year,so it's not a problem.More the problem for me is getting hold of the stuff,so i try to stock up.It's a handy all rounder!

Comment

The price of QD in Canada rose to a level that made me look elsewhere. I bought two 32 oz bottles of Detailer's Pride clay lubricant. More product for less money and worked very well. During the last detail, I ran out of lubricant while I had 2 doors to go. I tried the ONR clay lube dilution, seemed to work well. Next car will be clayed with this, if it works well, that would be an unbeatable quantity/price clay lube.

Comment

How about diluting QD 1:1 with water? Will this be OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Red View Post
                              How about diluting QD 1:1 with water? Will this be OK?
                              It's not recommended by Meguiar's. You can dilute our Last Touch 1:1 with water for a clay lube.

D15501 Last Touch
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I filled an old bottle of spray detailer with a mix of water and a nice amount of Gold Class shampoo. I spray it on for a pre-wash soak and I use it for claying. Just rinse down your car with a naked hose (no nozzle) when you are done, if you clayed it properly most of the water should sheet/bead anyway.
                                James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                                Calais Auto Detailing
                                CalaisDetails@aim.com
                                www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');