• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

I was claying my car the other day and I feel like I go through a lot of QD.

Are there any cheap alternatives? Any home-brewed ideas?

Car wash soapy water in a spray bottle?

Thanks.
    It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Re: Are there any inexpensive lubes to use while claying?

if u want u can clay the vehicle while washing it that will save u some time and money

Comment

Probably a god idea to keep the wash separate from the claying as grit from the wash water can introduce scratches. Clean and dry first. Get all hoses, buckets, etc. out of the way. Soapy water spray will work. Be sure to NOT DROP the clay. Throw it away if you do! You might even just use a third of the bar, just in case.

Comment

Last touch at 1:1 works good. It's about $17 a gallon so you get 2 gallons of clay lube out of it. Soapy water works too, however I've heard that it will break down the clay over time. One time when I started claying it started raining really hard so I just finished up using the rain for lube. But I don't think using plain water is the best idea.

How much QD are you going through? You don't need to use much, just enough to the clay doesn't stick.
        Scott

Comment

Using 1/3 of the bar is good and if you do drop it, dont ever use it on the paint again. You could certainly use it on chrome and MAYBE even glass as long as it doesn't have obvious pieces of grit. So dont think you have to throw it away, just use some common sense.

Comment

I am with BlueZero, Last Touch works very well. I have use soap and water for a lube and like he mentioned the clay tends to fall apart.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Comment

There's a thread on this forum about this topic that's about 3 pages long, let us take a look and see if we can find it, if memory serves us correctly, it could even be in the Hot Topics forum.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Doing a search in the Detailing 101 forum using the words,

clay lube

Note Mike Pennington's statements in this thread

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

substitute for QD when claying

hi all..

somone told me you can sub QD with water.. is there any better solution? coz im not realli comfy wit the idea of claying with water as lubricant..
                    i tot of diluting the QD wit water? ehhe crazy idea?

just tryin to find a cheaper alternative...

Comment

Re: substitute for QD when claying

Soapy water will work. I've heard it might break down the clay bar quicker but I've never had a problem using it once and a while.
                      Scott

Comment

There are plenty of threads on this forum on this subject, not sure which search terms would work to pull them up.

Nutshell version of forum wisdom is the best clay lube is a quick detailer product because it lubricates the surface while you're claying and after you're done claying and wipe the residue off the paint looks good because quick detailers are made to mist on paint, then be wiped off and leave the paint looking good.

This is something that is important to most people but they don't know it, the reason we know this is because in all our Saturday classes, when we work on a demo car, if while claying we leave any residue or a clay smudge people panic and get all worried about the paint. Then we wipe the paint again and the smear or smudge is gone and they calm down.

So we know that after using a product, (any product really), to work on paint, especially a product from Meguiar's, it's important that the paint looks good after its use.

Now let me tie this in to your option, Meguiar's doesn't recommend using car wash soap mixed with water as a spray lubricant for claying, the clay can be affected in a negative way by the soap and soapy water is not designed to be sprayed onto paint, and then wiped off to leave behind a a nice looking shiny paint job. This circles back around to what we typed above. That is, soapy water used as a clay lubricant isn't going to wipe off as easy nor leave your paint looking good after you clay because it's soapy water, not a quick detailer.

Besides all that trivial stuff, we understand that in some countries a bottle of Quik Detailer can be quite expensive and our customer's treat it like gold and would prefer to save it for wiping the car down to remove light dust and restore the 'just detailed look' and thus like you, search for a lest costly substitutes for use as a clay lube.

So just to be clear, Meguiar's does NOT recommend using water with a little car wash soap mixed into it as a clay lube, but that's what some people will use when looking for a less costly substitute.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                          Soapy water will work. I've heard it might break down the clay bar quicker but I've never had a problem using it once and a while.
                          We need to learn how to write shorty copy...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I basically re-wash the car with Gold Class car soap and then rinse off after finishing a body panel.
                            '97 Mustang GT
                            Black/Black leather

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              We need to learn how to write shorty copy...

Your answers are always much more informative. I guess I pick that up from my job. No one wants to 'read' a building plan, just a drawing with short notes.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');