• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Product Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Product Selection

Was detailing a friend's truck last week & really hit a brick wall. It's a '94 Silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab. Is red w/clearcoat.

Started w/ mildest product & worked up to more aggressive (after claying).

Paint is in good shape (sorry, no pics)- some slight discoloration & usual chips/scratches, but no clearcoat failure. Finish is extremely dull- has a sandblasted look- which figures, as he uses it to haul his motorcycle out to the desert for some motocrossing. The front clip & roof look great, but the finish gets progressively worse moving toward the rear. Never liberated any red paint anywhere I worked, so clearcoat appears to still be intact. I thought a clearcoat that old would be extremely soft (especially on red), but thought wrong. Was either a very hard clear to begin with, or the desert sun has baked it hard. Everything I did made only the slightest improvement. The only good thing is that most of the panels are relatively FLAT... not a whole lot of body contours & seams to deal with.

Here was my sequence...

#80 (Speed Glaze) on 8006 Polishing Pad via PC (speed 5)
    #83 (DACP) on 8006 Polishing Pad via PC (speed 5)
    Scratch-X by hand
    #83 (DACP) on Edge finishing pad via rotary (spread @ 600, polish @1400)
    #83 (DACP) on Edge (orange) light-cutting pad via rotary (spread @ 600, polish @1400)
    #83 (DACP) on burgundy 7006 cutting pad via rotary (spread @ 600, polish @1400)

each pad was new & first conditioned with a little QD. After use, each pad went into a zip-lock bag which identified the product used.

Nothing I did made much of an improvement. It still looks (and feels) dry, though there's no crazing or cracking. I hesitated to go to a wool pad, as my rotary experience is limited. I realize it's tough to diagnose without pics, but would welcome any suggestions for more aggressive pad/polish combinations to bring a shine back to this beast.

Thanks-
    R. Smith
    Santa Clarita, CA

Re: Help with Product Selection

If nothing you listed improved the appearance so far, then likely more buffing will not result in better results.

Sounds like the paint is past the point of no return.

Bring to this Saturdays class we'll take a look at it for you.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');