• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wetsanded bumper....smoothe, but visible still.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetsanded bumper....smoothe, but visible still.

Hi,

I have been reading as much as possible before tackling my car bumper. It has 3 small scratches where the garage door hit it. Before, I could catch my fingernail in all 3 scratches (just barely). So I tried ScratchX as my first resort as the least abrasive method (even though I knew it wouldn't do anything for it as it was). After several applications by hand and a few by the PC, nothing was different.

Next step that I had available was 2000 grit paper. I wet sanded and after a while, it became smoothe. I tried a few more applications of ScratchX followed by Meguiar's Deep Polish and then the Tech Wax.

I still can see the scratches, but I can't feel them. I question is this:

Do I use a more abrasive compound (m83 or m84) and keep at it? Or should I wetsand a little more?

Before:

After:

Not much difference. The real difference is in the feel of it. It is no completely smoothe.

Thank you in advance!

-Bryan
    Black 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi
    Crystal White Pearl 2016 Mazda CX-5
    "People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care"

Re: Wetsanded bumper....smoothe, but visible still.

IF the scratches are deep, as though they were made with a rasor blade, then sanding more won't help. Do you best to remove your sanding marks and then live with the defects. If you keep sanding you'll expose the basecoat and have three ugly dull spots with scratches running through them.

If you're working by hand, the ScratchX is as aggressive as you can get and get good results. You might trying changing your applicator material for something with more bite.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I think I need to change the pad I am applying the ScratchX with. I am just using a regular white soft polishing pad that came with the PC....I know it's not agressive, so I did order the Lambs Wool Polishing Pad when I got the PC. Is this pad too agressive for what I am trying to accomplish? Or should I stick with the Softbuff Cutting Pad (red)?

I'd really hate to not be able to take these out since it's a new car and I have seen some amazing results. I did plan on getting an old hood from the junkyard and practice on it first, but I am pretty confident in what I do and thought this would be a small simple project.

Thanks again for the repy!

Edit: The scratches are not deep at all. I can't even feel them if I run my nail over them any more.
      Last edited by bmgamble; Dec 30, 2006, 06:49 PM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

As a very last resort, there are some companies out there that specialize in this type of repair, very similar to the dent removal people. Maybe they have some other way of dealing with this type of damage. You may try contacting them.

I know how frustrating it is to have a brand new vehicle and have something like this happen. A few years ago, someone keyed a vehicle I had less than 5 hours and in 2005 a small rock on the freeway cracked a windshield on a car I had just bought and was driving it home for the first time, a whole 7 miles. Just remember it is all repairable or replaceable ... Have a safe New Year and enjoy the time with your family and friends.

Happy New Year to all at MOL!

Jezroj
        Sunnyside, California

Comment

Hi Jezroj! Thanks for the reply....now I don't feel so bad after hearing about your story! There is a nice body shop down the road that did some repair/paint work on my older truck, so I might ask them about this one.

However, I will be tackling the roof of my truck soon because it was also scratched by our garage door! Although these scratches aren't as deep, so who knows what will happen with that.....at least no one can see the roof!

Got a bunch of goodies in my cart ready for checkout.....Man, I should have found this forum a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago...would have saved me a bunch of headaches! Although I've been using mostly Meguiar's products, it's nice to know there are even more Meguiar's products that do specific jobs so I can get down to the nitty gitty of maintaining even better.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Comment

mud, sand, primer, sand, paint matching, sand, clear coat, sand, buff and polish.
            2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
            2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bmgamble View Post
              However, I will be tackling the roof of my truck soon because it was also scratched by our garage door! Although these scratches aren't as deep, so who knows what will happen with that.....at least no one can see the roof!

Sears has new garage doors on sale now!

Comment

Originally posted by ronniejay View Post
                Sears has new garage doors on sale now!
                No kidding! Actually, it's not the door's fault...it's the wife's.....and I'll be keeping her

I just ordered a TON of supplies through Meguiar's store, so I am preparing for a great New Year of car maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by pcfxer View Post
                  mud, sand, primer, sand, paint matching, sand, clear coat, sand, buff and polish.
                  Thanks for the steps....I'll be taking it by the local shop to see what they can do within reason. If it's an arm and a leg, I might just research more since it is a small blemish. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');