• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Brightener DAMAGE! =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Brightener DAMAGE! =(

Here's my story:

I have been using wheel brightener for a while on 2 of my cars with aftermarket wheels and it has been working amazingly. When I bought my BLITZ rims for my prelude, I noted from many of the member's posts that they are not safe for bare/andonized aluminum...rims and it would thus stain.

To see if my new wheels were bare or clear coated, I rubbed some blue magic metal polish on the outter lip and it didn't turn black. It had no effect on the lip and the polish was just the same blue after trying a small test section; which led me to believe they were in fact clear coated.

Now I understand wheel brightener is safe on clear coated wheels, but just to be safe and to save my expensive wheels I still went out to get the Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner (clear purple bottle) just for the purpose of washing this set of wheels.

Now I usually wash all 3 of my cars at the same time. 2 weeks ago, I was washing my cars and I inadvertently grabbed the WB and used it on 2 of the BLITZ wheels (driver's side). My steps usually are to spray down with wheel cleaner, both wheels on one side, then come back to the first wheel and wipe with a soapy sponge and rinse.

After spraying down the two wheels, I saw that there were odd WHITE streaks coming from the rims and I immediately hosed them down. TOO LATE. THe damage had been done.

AFTER reading other peoples' mistakes with WB, I tried they resolutions but it didn't warrant any good results at all. I tried using the metal polish again but that had little effect on the white stains. I tried using ScratchX as well as M80 just to see if they would do the trick since they seemed to be clear coated lips. These steps yielding the top layer of the streaks to come off but you can still see some faint light hazing.

Here are some pictures of the problem I am experiencing:

This is how the lip SHOULD look - nice and clear

Does ANYONE have any other suggestions? I am really disappointed as these wheels were a big expense and I tried keep them in best shape as I could!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading!
    - JOn

Re: Wheel Brightener DAMAGE! =(

nxt metal polish ??????
    should ask mike.mike !!!!!!
    alberto gorin
    known as gorin002

Comment

Sorry about the wheels, just some thoughts here, did you try clay? How about NXT all metal polish on a drill with a powerball or polishing wheel if you have one and really work it in? Do you have a dremel tool? you could try those little polishing wheels with a light compound if the above doesn't cut it, just use the least aggressive method first.

Tom

Comment

On newer wheels, keep them nice by washing them weekly with soap and water. Save the wheel cleaners for nasty dirty wheels.

Your wheels can be easliy repaired with metal polish and allot of elbow grease. I have restored damage such as yours with Meguiars metal polish and a rotary buffer. If you dont have the equipment take it to a wheel shop where they can do it.

If your not sure if WB is safe for your wheels, dab a little on the rim (just a drop) and stand by with a wet rag. If it is bare aluminum and turns white all you will have is a tiny mark and not streaked wheels.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

EGPrelude,

As the wheels appear to be clear coated, don't think that All Metal Polish will do the trick. As you say #80 and Scratch X did a little bit of stain removal, perhaps #4 (Heavy Cut cleaner) might work.

For new all clear coated wheels the best wheel cleaner is no wheel cleaner (no matter how safe they say they are). Soap and water will usually do the trick. You could also apply a layer of wax after cleaning.
          Nothing beats a lion

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
            I have restored damage such as yours with Meguiars metal polish and a rotary buffer.
            Joe, what pads are you using for this process?
            -Brad
            Shine Masters Pasadena, CA
            shine-masters.com

Comment

Sorry to hear about the wheels (some nice set!)

On with the WB - it's always best to contact the manufacturer and ask them if they're coated or not. Usually on rims with a painted heart and polished side, the heart is coated and the polished side is often not.

I do however understand your frustration with this issue and hope you can get them fixed (by yourself or a professional). But as I said (tip from Meguiars Belgium) always try to contact the manufacturer of the rims and ask them next time to be sure.
              showroomglaze.net

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                On newer wheels, keep them nice by washing them weekly with soap and water. Save the wheel cleaners for nasty dirty wheels.

Your wheels can be easliy repaired with metal polish and allot of elbow grease. I have restored damage such as yours with Meguiars metal polish and a rotary buffer. If you dont have the equipment take it to a wheel shop where they can do it.

If your not sure if WB is safe for your wheels, dab a little on the rim (just a drop) and stand by with a wet rag. If it is bare aluminum and turns white all you will have is a tiny mark and not streaked wheels.

Hey Joe,
                DO you continue using the metal polish even after it doesn't turn black? I attempted with using the metal polish but it didn't seem like it was polishing metal. It only seemed like the abrasives were rubbing out the top layer of white streaks.
                - JOn

Comment

Originally posted by quikzilver View Post
                  EGPrelude,

As the wheels appear to be clear coated, don't think that All Metal Polish will do the trick. As you say #80 and Scratch X did a little bit of stain removal, perhaps #4 (Heavy Cut cleaner) might work.

For new all clear coated wheels the best wheel cleaner is no wheel cleaner (no matter how safe they say they are). Soap and water will usually do the trick. You could also apply a layer of wax after cleaning.

Yea, they seem clear coated to me, even the outer lip but I could be wrong. I did try using Hi-temp Extreme Cut by hand as well and that did less than the M80/ScratchX. I thought because I wasn't heating it up enough or breaking it down like I would if I were attacking it with a rotary.
                  - JOn

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                    Sorry about the wheels, just some thoughts here, did you try clay? How about NXT all metal polish on a drill with a powerball or polishing wheel if you have one and really work it in? Do you have a dremel tool? you could try those little polishing wheels with a light compound if the above doesn't cut it, just use the least aggressive method first.

Tom

I did try both the metal polish, M80/ScratchX with a polishing tip on a dremel. Didn't really touch it much either. I am still a big stumbled by this..
                    - JOn

Comment

Originally posted by madsekci View Post
                      Sorry to hear about the wheels (some nice set!)

On with the WB - it's always best to contact the manufacturer and ask them if they're coated or not. Usually on rims with a painted heart and polished side, the heart is coated and the polished side is often not.

I do however understand your frustration with this issue and hope you can get them fixed (by yourself or a professional). But as I said (tip from Meguiars Belgium) always try to contact the manufacturer of the rims and ask them next time to be sure.
                      That's what I was hoping, a uncoated outer lip. I thought it would be relatively simple to go over the outer lip with a metal polish but it doesn't seem to have done the trick at all...

It is tough getting ahold of someone that knows alot about these wheels. These wheels seem to have been discontinued. BLITZ is a japanese company as well but I didn't try looking up an American affiliate...

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE GUYS. I really appreciate the help!! Hopefully this endeavor will be over soon. I just didn't want to attack it with more compounds and risk losing all the clear coat (if it even is clear coated) of the outer lip...

I guess that is my last resort - to attack it longer with a metal polish.
                      - JOn

Comment

Good luck on getting your wheels looking like new... if there is a good thing with this its only on two wheels rather than all four.

Like mentioned above I stay with good old car wash soap and water when washing my wheels. Some time ago I damaged/stained a couple of my wheels also with the wrong wheel cleaner, it was my fault and ever since then I pass on wheel cleaners.
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

tell us if it worked out
                          alberto gorin
                          known as gorin002

Comment

Ouch those must have cost a fortune. Try NXT metal polish. It should fix it for you. That seems to be the answer when WB is used on uncoated wheels.
                            2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
                            2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
                            1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

EGPrelude

May sound silly, but perhaps degreasing/washing the wheels and going at it again once the surface is completely dry might help.

Don't know if it is true, but it is my feeling that sometimes a combination of products puts some sort of slick layer over the damage, so the next product is not able to "bite".
                              Nothing beats a lion

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');