• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Honda Civic Makeover Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Honda Civic Makeover Journey

Ok, this is definately going to be a huge task for me but I know with the help of you fellow Meguiar enthusiats I'll be able to tackle this project with no if not minimal interference. I plan on updating this thread throughout the process so that there won't be threads everywhere on this one project Ok so now on with the ride.

As you will see I own a 2003 Honda Civic in Nighthawk Black Pearl. Got it used and yes indeed, it is my first car. First that came to my mind is I was going to take care of it all the way. But like a newbie I went the wrong route. Started out with washing with dish soap detergent and with an old shirt but I did use Turtle High Gloss Wax. I then later got some advise from my cousin from California, ( Any Meguiars person might know him, he is sponsored by Meguiars, owns a 1999 Toyota Highlander, his name is Lawrence Manigbas) anywho, he recommended me to Meguiars, and thus the converting began. I did some research and looked at the Extreme Makover forum a whole lot learning a bunch of stuff, as well as reading the links Mike gave to me. So without further more, lets start this project Civic Makeover!

Well start from the front and as you can see its dirty from my usual morning shower down and wipe (with a MF towel tho ) but not dried completely.

Here you can see the swirls upclose. Didn't really nail the reality of them though, I assure you there are much more but not too deep it catches my finger.

Help is greatly needed on this one

I recently took off the pinstripes going for a cleaner look but unfortunately it left me with this.

Windows aren't exactly up to par with little swirls.

Rims are covered in breakdust and no where near gloss black.

Sides are dusty with swirls but couldn't show them.

I do have some trim on the car but they look diseased.

The roof has these really annoying water spots that wont go away when I wash.

One of the back panels with countless swirls.

And finally heres the spoiler with swirls as well.

The swirls although are not deep but they just look rediculously horrible. They look as though I used a grill brush to clean the car, really bad. So I'd like to start the thread with some suggestions on how to tackle this project.

Re: 2003 Honda Civic Makeover Journey

to MOL

Are you working by hand or by machine?

If you were working by machine I would go
    wash (without drying)
    clay using plenty of quik detailer ( do paint first, then glass, then trim and finally wheels)
    wash (dry the car)
    I would then hit the bird droppings and deep scratches with #83 with a PC on speed 5 and W8006 pad

then do the whole car with #80 on a W8006 pad on speed 5. This should take care of most of the swirls, but if it isn't you can do the whole car with #83.
    then you can follow up with a good wax.

Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Can't wait to see the afters... Looks like you have some work to do but sounds like you have already done some homework. With the right combination of products you shouldn't have any problems. I am also wondering hand or by machine?
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Yes I do plan on buying a DA Polisher hopefully soon for my birthday. I will also buy the video so I can properly use it. I also read those posts about the 5-Step-Cleaning System and from what I read about others experiences I' guessing a good process would be:

Wash - NXT or Deep Crystal

Clay - Meg's Clay Kit

#83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DA Buff with speed setting 4-5 and slow arm speed going up,down,left, and right in a small area until the film is light and clear)

#80 Speed Glaze (DA Buff with speed setting 4-5 and slow arm speed going up,down,left, and right in a small area until the film is light and clear)

Maybe a polish to help it get some wetness such as #7 Show car Glaze

Then finally wax with NXT Tech Paste Wax (Put a light film with foam applicator, wait until a dry haze, do a swipe test to see if it is ready to be taken off)

Would that be a good start?

Comment

Got PC or G100?

nevermind, posted late. You might want to check Lowes for the PC7336SP which is being closed out.

Comment

I think I am going to be purchasing the Porter Cable DA Polisher. It was a bit of a hard decision but I went with the Porter Cable simply because money is mega tight on me. I know I will be missing out on the G100's lifetime warranty but when I see what wonders it works I'm sure Ill be taking good care of it unlike my ride when I first got it

Comment

JUST DID SOMETHUNG SIMULAR ,CHECK OUT PICS IN MY GALLERY
              WASH & CLAY
              M85/WOOL/RB
              M83/W7000/RB
              M80/W8000/RB
              NXTP/W9000/RB

Noswirler

Comment

oh yeah, those mirrors look like they are going to be a PITA because on harder plastics everything streaks!
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Dont forget you can clay the windows as sneek said, then use some Nxt Glass Cleaner.

Also, some Hot Rims Multi-Piece wheel cleaner would be a good start for the wheels, maybe even before and after claying. Also works good on exhaust tips and mufflers.

Maybe try some Trim Detailer on all the trim, you could even try cleaning with #39 first.

Gold Class Trim Detailer

#39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner

2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

welcome to mol
                    please show us pictuers its washed and waxed
                    alberto gorin
                    known as gorin002

Comment

TRY TO FIGURE THIS PICTURE THING OUT.
                      HERE WE GO
                      Noswirler

Comment

thats looks nice
                        alberto gorin
                        known as gorin002

Comment

Noswirler that hood absolutely looks amazing. But I understand that you used a Rotary for the job, is there any close adjustments I can make with the DA so I can tackle my hood as well? Your hood really looks like it WAS in the same situation as mine is NOW. Let me know please.

Comment

Hi, stulner88. I recently undid similar damage on my 04 civic with the same color paint. Fortunately, at least from my expreience, the paint's pretty soft and the swirls and such came out pretty easily with the machine. There are some pictures here.
                            "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

WOW! That civic looks real nice. Hmmm, so I guess I will start off with #80 first and see if it will get those swirls and etches out. Always start with the lesser abrasive right? haha. Ok so Im definately going to try #80 first, then if not I might have to go to the #83 as I hear it is the most common to use for removing defects. Ok updates soon, things should start pouring in my front door after New Years since nobody is working right now . It's all good though haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');