• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic headlights in need of help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic headlights in need of help!

I recently purchased a 2000 honda civic that def needs some work but first thing the headlights!!! oh my lord they are terrible. They had eyebrows put on them and i wasn't sure what they were if it was piant or what but i needed to remove them for they were chipping and peeling horribly. SO i used some acetone in small controlled amounts and got all of the eyebrows off. Now the headlights are completely clouded and seems the acetone has reacted with the headlights. I want to try and restore them to clear shape, I know that these like most headlights havea uv coating on them that will be removed if they are wetsand and thats ok i am willing to constantly maintain them. I need to know what products. processes, machinery i need to get them back in shape.

thank you everyone this car is the start to a very big project

Re: Plastic headlights in need of help!

You might want to try with PlastX first before sanding. I would recommend getting the MOther's powerball for this task it has been very useful to me.

If the Plain PlastX doesn't work, then you will have to wet sand them.. mask the area and start with 600 grit, then go up until 2500. After sanding go ahead an polish with plastX once more.

Don't try to rush it, it will take you 30 to 45 minutes each headlight but the results will be much better to what you have now.

Comment

the thing the keeps coming to me is that the texture of the plastic changed after using the acetone and that i need something more aggressive then the plastiX and powerball like a power polisher or tool such as the G100 not sure

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may end up having to buy new headlight assemblies.

Acetone eats plastic really, really badly, and can cause it to fuse to itself. At this point there may not be any optical clarity left to save. If there's anything left at all, it's going to involve a heck of a lot of sanding to find it.

I'd say skip the PlastX (I don't think it will solve melting) and go straight for a marathon wetsanding session.

Comment

I have used both Plastic X and also a product called Plexus. Plexus is a spray that is used by the Navy/Air Force to clean canopies of jet fighters, lol.

It replenishes haze and small pitting. I use it constantly on all plastic lenses on the car, head, tail, parking. Works Great!

I would reccommend either because after using both they seem to accomplish the same task, Plastic X may be easier to find as I had to go to a West Marine to find it.

Edit: I would reccommend www.car-parts.com its a directory of salvage yards in the US that allow you to serach for the part, you should get a set from there for cheaper than what you would pay elsewhere and call it a day. Anything will be in better shape than those pictures. I really didnt look at them at first, but man, that is a serious problem that will affect night driving considerably.

Comment

Actually the PlastX contains a diminishing abrasive and has the ability to remove a lot of defects from plastics while the Plexus product you mentioned is basically a spray detailer for removing light dust and restoring clarity.

A world of difference.

Meguiar's also offers a similar product to the Plexus product and it too works awesome for the things it's indended to do.

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products
            Here is the complete collection of products Meguiar's offers for working with clear plastics both by hand and machine.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

M-1008 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $9.98

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner

Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using our two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with our M-1008 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish.

M-1708 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $9.98

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer

A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels and instrument lenses to eyeglasses, CDs and picture frames.

M-1808 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $8.98

PlastX

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

G-12310 ....................10 oz. (296 ml) $4.99
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you've used acetone on your plastic and now it's disfigured, at this point you've got nothing left to lose by wet sanding. Get some #1500 and #2000 and sand down first with the #1500 and then follow this with the #2000 and then if at all possible, remove using a rotary buffer.

If you don't have a rotary buffer, maybe you can borrow one? If not you can use a piece of terry cloth and some PlastX and work most of the sanding marks out by hand with a lot of passion and perspiration.

You might be able to do this with a PC using a cutting pad and PlastX or possibly M83, just have to experiment to see how receptive your plastic is to being machine cleaned.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I typically use the Plexus when washing but Plastic X when detailing. Also the Plastic X is FANTASTIC for the vent shades, it keeps them clear, and clean so they dont get all faded and grey!

Comment

ok i do havea rotary buffer/polisher and was planning on wetsand up to 3000 what compund should i use or would that be the aformentioned products or is there something more aggressive that i could use since i did use acetone i might need something that can cut a bit more. I know all of the plastic products are good but ask you can guess i want whatever might be strongest because even with the most potent product i will have to work it over a few times. thanks

Comment

#3000 grit is too fine for what you're trying to do, you can use it but it might take you all day.

Try some #1500 or #2000, then use just about any compound you have with either a wool or foam pad at around 1500 rpm.

You see, plastic isn't like paint, it's going to buff easier, (in most cases), and you're goal isn't a swirl free finish, it's clear plastic. Just about any compound or cleaner/polish, or paint cleaner will work. PlastX will work, maybe even ScratchX.

Anything with a little bite to it together with the rotating action of just about any pad is going to remove the sanding marks, especially if you finish sand with a higher grit.

Afterwards, re-polish by hand or the the PC using some PlastX and you should be good to go.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i was going to start with 1000 then up to 3000 sorry for the confusion i just want to get it as much as possible and as smooth as possible. Also a product i have is 3m perfect it 3 would that work to remove enough or what meguiars product would you reccomend, i have a ton of stuff at home in pa but unfortunately i purchased the car in Fl and am here till jan so i want to get working on it now. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pumafeet10 View Post
                        i was going to start with 1000 then up to 3000 sorry for the confusion i just want to get it as much as possible and as smooth as possible. Also a product i have is 3m perfect it 3 would that work to remove enough or what meguiars product would you reccomend,

The 3M product will work, especially if you finish with #3000

What kind of pad do you have?
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i need to get some for i have none here so what pads would you reccommend? and the process would be 1k-3k wet then use g100 thats what i have ro should i use something else with perfect it will that be good enough

Comment

Originally posted by pumafeet10 View Post
                            i need to get some for i have none here so what pads would you recommend? and the process would be 1k-3k wet then use g100 thats what i have ro should i use something else with perfect it will that be good enough
                            Cheap wool cutting or finishing pad on a rotary should do the trick for removing sanding marks with the Perfect it product.

for the G100, W-7006 or W-8006 for removing any wool pad/rotary swirls.

PlastX by hand or machine when you're done because it contains a protective polymer for the plastic,
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

what speed would you use for the g100 and rotary, also i know you live by the g100 im sure , but for arguements sake what rotoray would you reccomend, pc or something bigger like a polisher one that has the greater speed? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');