• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Qs....Why would white car eventually turn yellowish white? and....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Qs....Why would white car eventually turn yellowish white? and....

I am not sure if this's been asked or not.

But I am wondering why would such thing happen? I have seen it so many times, they all turn yellow eventually. What's wrong and how can we avoid such thing?

Another question is...pardon me if it's not in the right forum.
    It's just the basic question evaluating a car's paint.

What causes the car's paint to oxidize? is it UV?
    If in fact it's oxidized, is it on the clear coat?
    How can you tell if the car's paint is badly oxidized but stll can be restored or the paint just lost its clear coat and fades which usually turns white?

They both look white but I can't tell which is which. Also car looses its clear coat need paintjob but badly oxidized paint needs detailer, am I corrent?
    Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and practiced on customers' cars, ended up writing a book, see merawat mobil, Fast forward 2014 established toko salon mobil online (online shop) to cater for car care enthusiasts and local car detailers.

Re: Two Qs....Why would white car eventually turn yellowish white? and....

My guess is that you've witnessed white cars turn yellow because of oxidation. If the car's finish is kept clean, I don't see why it couldn't stay white.

Here's an example of heavy oxidation on my car and how I fixed it using the DC system and elbow grease:

turned to this:

Comment

Ive heard #26 turns a car yellow... Hahaha, sorry, I had to say it..

Thats not true at all.
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Well, one thing to remember is that a lot of dirt, esp if pollen has built up, is a yellowy brown color, not black. It is just that white will naturaly show this brown dirt more than a blue, red, etc colored car.

Clear coat paints seem fairly resistant to oxidation, but on SS paints this is also a possiblity.

Either way, it is just a matter of keeping after it, using clay/cleaner to get the dirt off, then polish and protect.

Well, the oxidation is probably a little more complex than that. UV might help, but I am sure acid rain, hard water, other chemicals in the water/air, all are going to react with the paint more as it gets older.

As mentioned above, CC are somewhat resistant to oxidation, but either way, it is the top of the paint that is oxidized. So if the CC is on top, then it is the CC that is oxidized.

Actualy, if it is white, then the CC is still there, it is just failing. But it cannot be fixed at that point, only by a painter. When in dount, get some paint cleaner, and do a test spot.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Dirty paint? Stained paint?

Whether it's a single stage or a clear coat.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Dirty paint? Stained paint?

Whether it's a single stage or a clear coat.
            Mike, you did an article on white paint, but I couldn't link to it or cut & paste it to the forum?
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

My guess is that ALL paint will stain/discolor/deteriorate. The color white just happens to highlight any changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                Mike, you did an article on white paint, but I couldn't link to it or cut & paste it to the forum?

I believe you are refering to "A Lesson from White Paint."

It should be available at Autotopia.com, or Showcargarage.com. They changed the links I think, but it should be there still.

Comment

dumb qeustion i thought oxidation is rust or am i wrong ?
                  sory for dumb qeustion
                  alberto gorin
                  known as gorin002

Comment

Rust is one type of oxidation on metal.

On paint, oxidation is more of a chalky, dead paint sort of thing. where most of the oils have left, or reacted away from the surface.

Comment

thank you

that means shine is gone right ?
                      alberto gorin
                      known as gorin002

Comment

Well, sort of. If the paint is oxidised, it certainly wont be shiny. But flat paint wont be shiny, or even extra dirty paint wont be shiny. So it is just one clue. Kind of a rough, chalky texture is another.

Its kind of a vague term, and a lot of people will call things oxidation when it may or may not be.

The bottom line is to evaluate it, and do a test spot. As long as the dirt, oxidation, whatever is just on the surface, you can restore the paint just fine.

Do a search, probably in the Transformations forum, for Richard's (Octaneguy's) write-up fixing an old red Mustang, and I think he fixed a black Camaro as well. And Joe (Superior Shine) worked on a 1930's/40's gray car a while back. I at least recall that those would be a good example of oxidation, dirt, and most other old neglected paint problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          I believe you are refering to "A Lesson from White Paint."

It should be available at Autotopia.com, or Showcargarage.com. They changed the links I think, but it should be there still.
                          That's the one...I just wasn't sure about linking to another detailing site
                          Don
                          12/27/2015
                          "Darth Camaro"
                          2013 Camaro ... triple black
                          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

are waxses maby meguiras protect of oxidised paint
                            alberto gorin
                            known as gorin002

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');