Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1933 Plymouth Pickup truck?????

Re: 1933 Plymouth Pickup truck?????

Very nice Mike. It would be nice to to an extreme makeover on one of these.
    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
    Facebook www.detailing.com

Registered Member

Walt1953

Your Plymouth Pickup looks a lot like the one I have had for over 12 years. It is a 1936 Plymouth Pickup, they only made 1056 and I've only seen two others. I did see a 1936 Plymouth Panel.

I have seen a 1935 Plymouth Pickup and a 1934 Plymouth Pickup they resemble the 1934 and 1935 Plymouth cars.
    Chrysler started making Plymouth Pickups in 1933 through 1936 in the Fargo facility in Canada. the 1933 through 1935 did not come to North America. In 1936 the Plymouth Pickup was shipped to dealers in North America as a pilot program to see how they would do. My 1936 Plymouth Pickup was called a 1/4 ton. It was purchased new in Perkins, Oklahoma, where I purchased it 12 years ago. It had never left the county and it had no hood and grill. It took me 4 years to find a grill and I still don't have a hood. The reason is that the 1936 Plymouth pickup grill is about 6" shorter than the car and the hood is shorter than a car and the hood at the cab cuts back to the front where the car is straight.

Hope this helps you.

Also the difference between a 1936 and a 1937 is that the 1936 lights are mounted on the finders and the 1937 lights are mounted on the couling.

Registered Member

There are no legitimate Plymouth pickup trucks prior to the 1937 PT50. All are fakes as far as anyone knows. For instance there is a 1936 pickup on auction on E-bay right now and it too is made out of a sedan as the owner states. Bare chassis or 'cowl and chassis' were shipped to Sweden through all those years of the 30s but none that we know of were made into pickups. Windsor Canada never made any Plymouth trucks at all for local consumption. Did some get made and sent overseas? None have ever shown up. Canadian Fargo and Dodge trucks are very common in Great Britain and the Commonwealth but still no pickups just vans and stakes and some WWII specials.
    But just to clarify one point, starting in 1935,Plymouth did make a kind of delivery vehicle out of their car. It was called a 'Commercial Sedan' but is obviously a car with a back door where the trunk should be. The rear side doors were removed, and sometimes the rear side glass, making the car look like a small van. Sometimes the rear side glass remained. Perhaps these are the 'trucks' that are registered in 1935?
    Starting in around 1934/35 some 'cowl and chassis' were sent out to body manufacturers like Cantrell and station wagon bodies were installed. There are surviving photos in the Chrysler Archives of these and some of them are still around. They are very rare because of the rot of the exposed wood.
    But no pickups until the Fall of 1936 when Chrysler released the 1937 PT50.
    I am a member of the Plymouth Owners Club Inc. and I'm very interested in those Plymouth pickups made from 1933 onward. Do you have any photos of those pickups? Could you tell me where you last saw one? The Club has never been able to track down any legitimate ones but we would love to find one. We have members all over the world, including Sweden,Denmark,England,Germany,South Africa,Mexico,Australia,all of the U.S. and Canada,you name it,and we could possibly have a member take a photo and document the serial numbers. The Chrysler Archives in Detroit has all the build sheets for all CPDD vehicles built from around 1928 and we can see what Chrysler called it when it left the factory by it's chassis and engine serial numbers.
    For instance my 1935 Dodge KCL was called out as a 'cowl and chassis' according to the Dodge Main Oct. 23rd 1935 build sheet and it had a custom built 3 door delivery van body installed on it by a private Toronto truck body company when it got here.
    Maybe if you can find one of these pickups we could run the build sheet and see what it started life as. Dodge did build a pickup in 1933 and called it an 'Express'. If just one Plymouth build sheet a used similiar name ,and we had the vehicle, it would end many years of speculation.

Registered Member

Hi from New Zealand.....have just purchased a well used 1936 Plymouth truck model PT50. Is not a cut down car but is different to US 1937 model in that it has a lot of wood used in cab rear panel,doors,& door frames.
    Also has fuel filler under passengers seat not in rear quarter of cab.
    This truck is right hand drive so spare wheel mount is on LHF guard but
    floor mounted starter button still on left.......you need to be fairly flexible to get starting process right ! Can anyone out there help with information
    on these early Plymouth trucks ? I suspect this one could have been built in Canada or possibly an Australian built body on export chassis ?
    Body tag Model # PT50 Serial # 8860495. Look forward to hearing from anyone with some knowledge on these. Kirk.

Registered Member

My father has what he has been calling a 1934 Plymouth Pickup. He has had this truck for close to forty years and got it from an old indian that owned a junkyard out on the reservation. He has the actual title for it. The title states, "1934 Plymouth Roadster". Do you think this is a "real" pickup or would the title description signal that it is a modified coupe? Ever since I was a child he has stated that it is a very rare vehicle...

Hi, I'm from the UK, on searching for information on early Plymouth Pick-ups I came across this thread. I think I have recently purchased the truck that PC Plymouth refers to in the Allpar article by Jim B of the Plymouth Owners Club, being a member of the club I contacted Jim when the truck came up for sale. It had been owned for 28 yrs by it's previous owner who sadly passed last fall, the title states 1934 Ply PU but the serial No. is incorrect as it looks like an engine No. with 34 tacked on the end.
    Once I have it home my intentions are to check the frame for the serial No. although on my PD the frame stamping is incomplete so we will see what we see, I don't think Chrysler Historical can supply a build card from an engine No. Look forward to replies although this thread has been dormant for almost 4 yrs.

Follow the Dream
    1995 TVR Chimaera 4.0
    1933 Plymouth PD R/S Coupe RHD
    1934 Plymouth PE/PU LHD Arriving 12/08/14

Let's try and add a couple of photos, the first is when leaving the sellers property bound for the dock. The second is of great interest to me because it's not a known dash to me or of what I have seen on other Chrysler products, there was a dash of this style used on a 34/34 Buick but without my imagination running away with me they look the same gauges as the 34 Dodge PU but swapped top for bottom, can't wait to get it back to my shop and start investigating.
    By the way the cross beam which supports the tranny is out I wonder if somebody had thoughts about a bigger engine unit ?? I am lucky to have the PD to compare what things should look like although the were differences between the 2 years and I have not been able to find out what the wheel base is, 112" on the PD, 114" on the standard PE, time will tell. I have started an album should you be interested.

Thanks for looking. Tom
    Follow the Dream
    1995 TVR Chimaera 4.0

Registered Member

I have been looking for information online for my father, because he is currently restoring what he believes to be a 1933 Plymouth truck. Hopefully I can get some pics of it up here sometime, but I don't have access right now. I did run across some interesting pictures on Flickr of another supposed 33: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carphot...n/photostream/

Thanks for the link, looks like a PC. Look forward to seeing what your dad's working on, mines still stuck in Houston waiting for a ship.
    Follow the Dream
    1995 TVR Chimaera 4.0

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Congratulations on the very rare Plymouth truck...

It's intersting how a thread this old just keeps coming back. I'm subscribed so each time someone posts to it I get an e-mail notification.

Hope you're able to get that truck back on the road some day....

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information