• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chamois Drying Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamois Drying Technique?

I have two 100% Natural Chamois that I use on the wheels and doorjambs and went through the whole soaking and getting rid of the oils process and used them on the car the other day. They worked excellent, but after I soaked them in some dishwashing soap and warm water and wringed them very thoroughly I hung them up to dry. I checked on them today and they are like carboard, really hard.

What did I do wrong or is that the way they are supossed to feel?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Re: Chamois Drying Technique?

No matter how good of Chamois I get eventually they end up feeling this way when they are dry. If you get them wet again how do they feel? Before using them soak them and ring the water out and then try them. They work fine for me and as Mike has taught in his how to wash a car video, how to use the blotching method which works great.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

What makes me mad is that one of them is brand new and already doing this!!

I havent tried putting them in the water yet, but I will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it will work!!

Comment

i had ones i have have a plastic tube bottle
        think need to have a bit of moister ? in it to keep it soft
        alberto gorin
        known as gorin002

Comment

Originally posted by gorin002 View Post
          i had ones i have have a plastic tube bottle
          think need to have a bit of moister ? in it to keep it soft
          Is it synthetic?

Normally, if you try that with a natural chamois it ends up all moldy and dead smelling

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
            Is it synthetic?

Normally, if you try that with a natural chamois it ends up all moldy and dead smelling

PC.
            I would agree 100% with PC. He must be talking about synthetic ones because they only come in the plastic tube. If real leather is kept damp it will get moldy with time. I use the Chamois first and then use MF which works really well on the windows as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Asaf View Post
              I would agree 100% with PC. He must be talking about synthetic ones because they only come in the plastic tube. If real leather is kept damp it will get moldy with time. I use the Chamois first and then use MF which works really well on the windows as well.
              sory guys didi`t know was a divrince in it sory
              its very cheap one am using.am try from megaires or bit better one
              alberto gorin
              known as gorin002

Comment

natural chamois don't take dishwasher soap very well, you should avoid any detergents as much as possible for natural chamois. To soften it up, you can pour a carton of buttermilk in a bucket and put the chamois in it overnight. rinse it the next day very well, and the chamois should be as new again!
                Fiat Bravo 1.4S 12V : My Pride & Joy
                ShowYourSound

(\__/)
                (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
                (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by QiB1400 View Post
                  To soften it up, you can pour a carton of buttermilk in a bucket and put the chamois in it overnight. rinse it the next day very well, and the chamois should be as new again!
                  That's a new one on me.

I like the synthetic ones the best.

I also like to keep a clean bucket of water on hand to rinse the chamois with from time to time too. It helps to disloge any fine dust particles that may have attached themselves to the chamois during a wipe down.
                  r. b.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to give the extra bucket of water a try, which I am pretty sure will solve the problem.

Thanks again!

Comment

buttermilk is new to me as well, I have always used about a tablespoon of olive oil frothed in a bucket of water and let the chamois soak overnight then wring out and let dry. I do this maybe once every 6 months at the most. Do not let your chamois dry in direct sunlight. when it is dry and stiff, grab it on each end and pull it over the edge of a table with a 90* edge like you are trying to curl a ribbon and that will make it soft while still dry. I would never soak in dish detergent, you just need to rinse in clean water and wring out when you are done with them.

Comment

Have you given any thought of switching over to the synthetic type? That way you can keep it moist in the plastic container and always ready for use. And the synthetic type will last a lot longer compared to the natural.
                        FRANK CANNA
                        Mirror Finish Detailing
                        23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorfinishman View Post
                          Have you given any thought of switching over to the synthetic type? That way you can keep it moist in the plastic container and always ready for use. And the synthetic type will last a lot longer compared to the natural.
                          really.has meguiras is that real
                          alberto gorin
                          known as gorin002

Comment

Ive never seen a Chamois that didnt get hard when it dried.. Thats normal..
                            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

BlueLibby, I kinda thought that but just wanted to check, but some suggested soaking it in water before use and I think that will work.

What are the differences in performance between the synthetic and natural? For some reason I thought the nutural would perform better and lost longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');